Informant led to Brit dive instructor's arrest on Koh Lipe - he overstayed 5 years!

webfact

Informant led to Brit dive instructor's arrest on Koh Lipe - he overstayed 5 years!

3pm1a.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Immigration police on Koh Lipe in Thailand's south moved to arrest a 57 year old British man after an informant reported he had taken a ferry from the Pak Bara pier to the island. 

The man - who performed a "V for Victory" gesture for the Naew Na cameras - was found to be on overstay of more than five years. 

He had come into Thailand on the 17th of June 2014 and was permitted to stay until July 16th of that year. 

He never left. 

He told the immigration police that he was working as a dive instructor on Koh Phi Phi in Krabi and was in Koh Lipe visiting a friend. 

In another case, a 30 year old man - also British - was arrested by Ayuthaya immigration police in the Ban Krathum sub-district of Sena district. 

He was on overstay of 22 days and featured in a photo with his face obscured by exclamation marks. 

Naew Na said this arrest was on the orders of immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang to get tough on foreigners breaking the law in Thailand. 

They repeated that people should dial 1178 to report infractions. 

Source: Naew Na | Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-23

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In another case, a 30 year old man - also British - was arrested by Ayuthaya immigration police in the Ban Krathum sub-district of Sena district. 

He was on overstay of 22 days and featured in a photo with his face obscured by exclamation marks. 

Welcome to Thailand.?

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The man - who performed a "V for Victory" gesture for the Naew Na cameras - was found to be on overstay of more than five years. 

Defiant to the last. That good old British bulldog spirit wont help you now. You wont be frequenting these shores again for a very long time.  

19 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Welcome to Thailand.?

Can you feel the love!?

13 minutes ago, petermik said:

Bad guys out is fine....but what about us good guys....why have they started to make things even more difficult :whistling:

I am confused by your statement. These were two bad guys.

Where I live there are approx. 15 to 20 foreigners living here full time. To my knowledge, non of them have had issues with "started to make things even more difficult".

We have a mix of retirement visas, work permits etc etc. The only change in latter years is the TM 30 and that is so minor as to be laughable.

Where I live there are approx. 15 to 20 foreigners living here full time. To my knowledge, non of them have had issues with "started to make things even more difficult".
We have a mix of retirement visas, work permits etc etc. The only change in latter years is the TM 30 and that is so minor as to be laughable.

I read this rubbish too.!.I asked our Motley Crew are they troubled , non of them. Just one scruff Teacher who bums money and no work permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The same, same on here. Bad, bad farangs out but I'm good, good, good..... Really First overstay is not the crime of the century “Stupid" yes. Could there be more to the dive instructors story, most likely. Any dive professional back when I was an instructor on Kow Tow back in 2003/4 if I remember correctly will know what devastating damage a dodgie greedy thai visa agentcan do and will also know that work permits in the diving industry are as rare as rocking horse dodo so don't be twisted and nasty to people who do so much for thai tourism and as for 22 days overstay OMG = public humiliation. Why not bring the Stocks to all immigration offices where twisted and bitter farangs can purchase rotten tomatoes to throw and geer at any farang arrested with smugness and righteousness. I wonder how many of the righteous on here use agents to deal with their visas on here? Just remember you to are criminals "you are required to go to immigration in person". 

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Bad guys out is fine....but what about us good guys....why have they started to make things even more difficult :whistling:

Difficult, How so? Having to prove my income myself rather than presenting an embassy letter is a minor inconvenience, but it's not difficult. And I certainly don't blame immigration for that.

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

The same, same on here. Bad, bad farangs out but I'm good, good, good..... Really First overstay is not the crime of the century “Stupid" yes. Could there be more to the dive instructors story, most likely. Any dive professional back when I was an instructor on Kow Tow back in 2003/4 if I remember correctly will know what devastating damage a dodgie greedy thai visa agentcan do and will also know that work permits in the diving industry are as rare as rocking horse dodo so don't be twisted and nasty to people who do so much for thai tourism and as for 22 days overstay OMG = public humiliation. Why not bring the Stocks to all immigration offices where twisted and bitter farangs can purchase rotten tomatoes to throw and geer at any farang arrested with smugness and righteousness. I wonder how many of the righteous on here use agents to deal with their visas on here? Just remember you to are criminals "you are required to go to immigration in person". 

I'd suggest to add some rotten eggs and Plaa Raa for the hardcose criminals with more than 22 days overstay. 

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Well theres the TM30

No more income letters from embassies 

Also you now have to leave your deposit in the bank a extended amount of time

These 3 surely aren't making life easier on expats

4 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Well theres the TM30

No more income letters from embassies 

Also you now have to leave your deposit in the bank a extended amount of time

These 3 surely aren't making life easier on expats

Income letters only for 3 embassies that refused to check documents. All other embassies give them still. So not really a problem for most of us, it was unfair before with people from the US just having to swear to something and done. 

Leaving in money longer is a bit of a drag but also not too bad. TM30 is a bit of a nuisance i agree. 

I’m trying to understand to identify what it must be like to make a decision to stay in any country you have no legal right to reside in!

The feeling I get is fear and shame, immediately!

imagine living every moment of every day all the while knowing you are an illegal alien. 
glad they caught this fella, get rid if every overstayer, every single one of them.

Archived