Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Old bikes can be driven away with any key, warn police

Recommended Posts

Old bikes can be driven away with any key, warn police

 

5pm.jpg

Thai caption: Be careful OK!

 

Police in Pathum Thani have issued a warning to motorcycle owners who have old bikes. 

 

They said that keys from other makes can be used to drive them off for resale to third parties. 

 

That is precisely what an 18 year old man called Sahaphan and his 17 year old girlfriend were doing. 

 

Their latest theft was a Kawasaki Serpico parked outside a block of flats in Klong 1. 

 

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

A 42 year old man reported the theft on October 18th.

 

Sahaphan admitted that he had stolen bikes three or four times, sometimes his girlfriend drove them away for him. 

 

He said he sold them to a friend who paid him 1,000 baht to 3,000 baht a time. 

 

Klong Luang police said that owners of old bikes should lock their vehicles with additional means as it is very easy to drive them off using keys from other makes of bike. 

 

The inquiry is now being expanded to try and find who was fencing the bikes. 

 

Source: Daily News

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-23
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

One of my neighbours had a much loved motorcycle and, each night to prevent theft, removed both wheels via custom made quick-release fittings.

One morning the bike was missing. Viewing his CCTV covering the carport a thief is seen entering, cutting the anti-theft cable with a bolt cutter then clambering over the fence with the lightweight bike over his shoulder.😀

Must be a very small bike or the thief was huge!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how difficult it is to track down those criminals who buy stolen bikes and (I guess) who sell parts of those stolen bikes.

They must be known locally otherwise that business concept wouldn't work.

Now the big question is obviously: Do the boy in brown know them can collect commission? Or are they too stupid to track them down? Or what is going on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last two years my girl friend lost the key her new motorcycle, she call a man before call me, the number phone received from a people on the road, when arrived the place after 10 minutes with second key, the man have make a new key, 300 baths ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old lock barrels are worn out the keys fly out over pot holes or speed bumps..they can be turned on /off with any key or pointed object..even new locks can be turned with a screwdriver and long leverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"old" bikes?

Some of the 15 to 20(?) years old have the neat little keys as seen in the picture. About half the size of the ones used now.

Maybe they refer specifically to this type?

oldkeys.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how difficult it is to track down those criminals who buy stolen bikes and (I guess) who sell parts of those stolen bikes.

They must be known locally otherwise that business concept wouldn't work.

Now the big question is obviously: Do the boy in brown know them can collect commission? Or are they too stupid to track them down? Or what is going on? 

If plod did a bit of footwork around the local town/village they'd probably find a shop/mechanic doing cheap repairs for old motorcycles. Most of the parts would be stripped and on a shelf somewhere but what happens to the frame... must be a pile of them somewhere?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If plod did a bit of footwork around the local town/village they'd probably find a shop/mechanic doing cheap repairs for old motorcycles. Most of the parts would be stripped and on a shelf somewhere but what happens to the frame... must be a pile of them somewhere?

Thats to much hard work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, johng said:

The old lock barrels are worn out the keys fly out over pot holes or speed bumps..they can be turned on /off with any key or pointed object..even new locks can be turned with a screwdriver and long leverage.

Always see thais with the string on the key for when it pops out..had it happen to me but the bike was still running!!!!   I always buy a new lock and keys when I buy my old honda dreams with the crappy worn keys 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, ChakaKhan said:

Always see thais with the string on the key for when it pops out..had it happen to me but the bike was still running!!!!   I always buy a new lock and keys when I buy my old honda dreams with the crappy worn keys 🙂

Happened to me twice now, (yes I never learn )

two different bikes  first time I found the keys in the grass by the side of the road..big sigh of relief had only just bought the bike had no spares.

Second time it happen along Sukhumvit..I didn't know they had "jumped ship" until I got to a big police stop they pulled over every bike and ordered to turn the engine off..stupidly I used "something else" to turn the ignition off instead of just stalling the engine..after the police interrogation  licence,tax,helmet the "something else"  couldn't be used to turn the ignition back on and I was stuck "miles" from home..eventually ( time goes by so slowly for those who wait)

my wife brought the spare set of keys..and I spent the rest of the day  searching along a  few kilometres of Sukhumvit road for my bunch of keys..never did find them..lost my "family heirloom" Stainless steel Guinness bottle opener and penknife too 😢

over 1000 baht to replace the set of keys 😩

 

So lesson learned never stop at those police checkpoints 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of Kawasaki Serpico's for the 2 stroke connoisseur's yes this one still runs !!

P_20190524_134247.thumb.jpg.d963336986a9e7ae759423927fc7e536.jpg

 

This one in much better nick.

P_20190707_132329.thumb.jpg.ce4fe68e184bd58f02bb702b47447045.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, johng said:

Happened to me twice now, (yes I never learn )

two different bikes  first time I found the keys in the grass by the side of the road..big sigh of relief had only just bought the bike had no spares.

Second time it happen along Sukhumvit..I didn't know they had "jumped ship" until I got to a big police stop they pulled over every bike and ordered to turn the engine off..stupidly I used "something else" to turn the ignition off instead of just stalling the engine..after the police interrogation  licence,tax,helmet the "something else"  couldn't be used to turn the ignition back on and I was stuck "miles" from home..eventually ( time goes by so slowly for those who wait)

my wife brought the spare set of keys..and I spent the rest of the day  searching along a  few kilometres of Sukhumvit road for my bunch of keys..never did find them..lost my "family heirloom" Stainless steel Guinness bottle opener and penknife too 😢

over 1000 baht to replace the set of keys 😩

 

So lesson learned never stop at those police checkpoints 😋

Admitting I have raced thru a checkpoint..I usually use a caribeaner to clip my key to brake cable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...