Rice exports expected to show shortfall

webfact

Rice exports expected to show shortfall

By THE NATION

800_74a2f0a5402f40c.jpg?v=1571801983

Rice exports are expected to reach between 8 million and 8.1 million tonnes this year, falling short of the target of 9 million tonnes, Thai Rice Exporters Association honorary president Chookiat Ophaswongse said this week.

That would make rice exports in 2019 lower than last year by 3.5 million tonnes.

Rice exports during the first nine months totalled 5.9 million tonnes, a reflection of the fierce competition from other countries.

He added that many local exporters have suffered losses due to the strong baht but have nonetheless continued to trade to safeguard their market share.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377670

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-23

1 hour ago, webfact said:

2019 lower than last year by 3.5 million tonnes.

That's approximately 25% down from the prior year!

Q: Why would Philippines care if the rice is hom mali?

A: They care if it's cheap

I guess that leaves all the Thais in Los Angeles to buy this year's crop.

So where is all the rice gone from the rice pledging scheme gone? What a great idea it was just spoiled by greed and thievery. All those decrying it while the current,,,      ....... Hand out free cash. Still the thieving just shhhhhh done say a word or knock knocking at your door.... Shhhhhh shussdd

Producers Thai. Buyers and sellers Chinese. 'Govt.' corrupt. Nothing will change. No! I'm wrong. It will get worse with climate change with less seasonal rainfal in the tropics and more and stronger storms both of which are not good for rice crops. 

Sales are down,because the Thb is up,it's really that simple

while Vietnam,India,and others are reaping* the benefit,once

a market is lost its very difficult to regain it.

regards worgeordie    * pardon the pun.

The rice export in my eyes mostly suffers from the huge rice losses we had this year.

Big areas of Isaan lost the rice to this years floods during raining season.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the TBH, especially as it is not shifting as much versus other local currencies as it is versus Dollar and Euro, or Pound, pun intended, too.

13 minutes ago, Enki said:

The rice export in my eyes mostly suffers from the huge rice losses we had this year.

Big areas of Isaan lost the rice to this years floods during raining season.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the TBH, especially as it is not shifting as much versus other local currencies as it is versus Dollar and Euro, or Pound, pun intended, too.

Had to read your post twice as so unbelievable someone would say it has nothing to do with the crazy over valued baht! Saying something like that is beyond bizarre. Do you work for the military government (that is a serious question)? You do know that most Thai exports are down and now running in the negative figures? There is a very good documentary on Thai rice exports. There is also a good documentary as to the real reasons the Thai baht has risen an now gold etc exports are rising. 

13 hours ago, englishoak said:

I know we buy Jasmine rice as Vietnam or Indian products now, 25% cheaper than Thai and tbh better packaged and dated.

Jasmin rice is always the large grain right?

A restaurant here which we often visit serves small grain rice (very nice) but they call it jasmin....

So with this high baht rate they don't drop the price to sell it for export? That's what i would do.

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Watch out thailand, your Baht so high--now American rice can compete.   Sill think it's a good idea to connect up with China?

I prefer Rice Krispies, anyway.

Uncle Ben's rice, anyone?

Uncle Bens was OK!! As was Vista dried curries , who can remember those ?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Rice exports are expected to reach between 8 million and 8.1 million tonnes this year, falling short of the target of 9 million tonnes, Thai Rice Exporters Association honorary president Chookiat Ophaswongse said this week.

If you read world news and the rise in other countries exports I'd say it's a lot worse than they're letting on!

Rice exports down, tourism down and that's just the news today. Thai Airways stuffed an the corrupt and useless SRT almost stuffed.

The perfect economic storm seems to be gathering and the Chairman and his Economic Management Committee look like sheep among wolves and helplessly running around in circles clutching at any straw/excuse that appears.

The chickens of the 2014 coup and an incompetent Prayut Chan-o-cha government are finally coming home to roost. 

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Rice exports, tourism,  baht  out of control, family debts out of control, property prices going through the roof, whats next?

The bubble will burst soon, whats little P gonna do them..... HE WILL BLAME THE SHINS.:cheesy:

Yup, anyone but accept responsibly himself, having been the man in charge for five years now.

Archived