Need a New Dashcam

LukKrueng

My Papago! dashcam started acting up a while ago, and now completely busted. Had it for about 5 years and it wasn't cheap back then...

I am looking for recommendations for a new one. What I liked about my Papago! was the option to have the screen + the green "on" light turned off so it doesn't distract me while driving at night.

Any recommendations for a reliable and reasonably priced cam?

Thanks

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

Yes, I had a look. So many choices it is confusing. That's why I posted here asking for any recommendations...

The subject has come up many times on the motoring forum, there is no clear cut which is best. I have one I bought from Lazada over 5 years ago for around 700 baht, it's still working fine.

58 minutes ago, topt said:

have a look at this - 

Looks interesting, but for this price no GPS?

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The subject has come up many times on the motoring forum, there is no clear cut which is best. I have one I bought from Lazada over 5 years ago for around 700 baht, it's still working fine.

Can you tell which make / model?

Try the Viofo A 129 Duo. It has front and rear camera, wifi and GPS, full HD video and costs only about 3700 Baht. I ordered it at Lazada, was shipped very fast and is working very well. It has only a small screen, which gets turned off after a while. If you like you can stream it on your smartphone or later on download the sequences to your smartphone and watch the clips there. Check it out on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, alan grice said:

After a while the novelty wares off.????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So you think you thing they are a novelty. I don't happen to think so, I can remember when I did an 8+ trip to Surin my phone satnav was playing up so relied on the wife. Got lost. N/B all the signs around Surin are in Thai.

Eventually got there but took some 2+ hours more than it should have taken.

Might be that you don't know how to use one that could be your problem. Having seen a lot of your post that wouldn't surprise me.

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

So you think you thing they are a novelty. I don't happen to think so, I can remember when I did an 8+ trip to Surin my phone satnav was playing up so relied on the wife. Got lost. N/B all the signs around Surin are in Thai.

Might be that you don't know how to use one that could be your problem. Having seen a lot of your post that wouldn't surprise me.

If you are referring to GPS on the dashcam (as the OP was but not sure about the poster you replied to) then it probably would not have helped you. Generally they are not a substitute for a route finder.

5 hours ago, topt said:

If you are referring to GPS on the dashcam (as the OP was but not sure about the poster you replied to) then it probably would not have helped you. Generally they are not a substitute for a route finder.

I was referring to a GPS also known as a Satnav. My first car (VIGO) here didn't have one fitted so had to rely on my phone GPS. Since then I have always had a car with a built in one. They have improved now come with Blue tooth hands free for your phone and many other bit's that I find very helpful. 

12 minutes ago, fredob43 said:
5 hours ago, topt said:

I was referring to a GPS also known as a Satnav. My first car (VIGO) here didn't have one fitted so had to rely on my phone GPS. Since then I have always had a car with a built in one. They have improved now come with Blue tooth hands free for your phone and many other bit's that I find very helpful. 

But the thread is titled 'Need a New Dashcam'....  and not 'Need a New Sat-Nav' !!!!!

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But the thread is titled 'Need a New Dashcam'....  and not 'Need a New Sat-Nav' !!!!!

I think someone got a little confused. If you want your dash cam to show speed that it needs a GPS module. That GPS module is not a Sat Nav....

54 minutes ago, alan grice said:

Dont say that, it stops short men telling folks about how they upgrade on inheritance money. Dam things still fall of the window at 500 or 5000 Bht.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah so I was correct. ACE OF POPS (HALAPOLOPA Whatever) was the last one. Has sneaked back yet again, for the 3rd time. After being BARED TWICE before. The trouble with you ACE is you must be a tad thick and after a while you use the same post over and over again.

Re my late mothers inheritance money, I gave that to my two daughters in the UK. I don't need it. Little tip, you wouldn't have known about that as it was a subject around 3+ years ago.

On 10/24/2019 at 6:56 AM, fredob43 said:

Why didn't you just buy a map?

1 hour ago, Lancashirelad said:

Why didn't you just buy a map?

I do have two maps. That I gave to my wife but I didn't realise at the time she couldn't read one. That came to light on the way back when I noticed her turning the map upside down. Seems if you go down Thailand you turn the map upside down. Bet you didn't know that.

I had one of those cheaper versions in our old (sold) truck.....snapped on to the rear view mirror.  The quality sucked, but it did the job.  Cost about 1000 Baht many years ago.  Our new Revo needed new technology.  My friend has a Xiaomi 70mai Pro in his SUV, with gps module.  Total cost via Lazada 2300 delivered.  The quality is phenomenal in light and dark.  Snaps photos on demand.  Phone app.  English menus.  Over-speed detector, collision sensor, and other features.  A deal!

Archived