My travel insurance won't renew my annual policy

yuiop

Dear all,

my european travel insurance (Europ Assistance, Allianz group) just let me know that they will not renew my annual policy with them due in December. I'm not profitable anymore.

Apart from World Nomads, do you know of any other good company I can insure with while outside of my country of residence and for a period of at least 6 months?

Or any other suggestion to insure myself?

Thanks in advance

yes, could be age. Could also have to do with amount of time out of his home country or trip duration.

All insurers have age limits and limits to trip duration. Some also require a certain amount of time to have been spent in home country in past year.

Hence my questions. Can't advise without that info.

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How old are you?

Any pre-existing conditions?

What nationality?

And for trips of what duration?

-heart condition, had a stent this year for which the Company paid, now they are still paying for the medications I need (this is the reason they don't want to renew in my opinion, am costing them too much)

-Italian

-my actual policy does not have any limit for trip duration and is valid for 1 year; there's no mention of minimum time to be spent back home in my contract. Anyway the fact I don't come back home very often could be another reason of denying, because for what I understood it some kind of reset when you back home.

I forgot to say, officially the reason they told me is that "The company has decided to stop selling and renewing this product", I smell bulls### here, especially because in a first moment they told me that my policy would have been renewed at the same price and my heart condition still covered till am back home, but after few days they changed opinion.

I was satisfied with this company till now, they have direct billing with major private hospitals and always been helpful; but  it's in their rights to stop the contract any moment and there's nothing I can do.

I only know World Nomads, that would be a solution for me (of course no pre-existing conditions covered) but am reading conflicting opinions on them.

I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks

I know that with my travel insurance, I cannot renew it for another period unless I return to my home country Australia.  I am not that old (have not hit the age threshold where cover is cut off).  Times where I have required an extension (I was once deemed not fit to fly due to an illness that extended beyond my cover), I have also resorted to World Nomads insurance.  They are a bit more expensive compared to the one I had but are good for emergencies.  

Global health insurance as an alternative to travel insurance is something to look at as well.  But I know that they can be very expensive.  But that is what we unfortunately have to accept if we want to stay abroad for extended periods.  

Good luck with it.  

Sounds like the Op has an annual policy rather than a specific date range policy, if so they usually have a max number of days cover, some have 30, most I've seen is 90 consecutive days.

If a longstay\backpacker type insurance they often stop at 50.

As for which company to use, have you got comparision sites in Italy? in the UK we have lots of choice using, gocompare.com comparethemarket.com moneysupermarket.com

On 10/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, yuiop said:

Frits, thanks a lot for your helpful comment.

Another one on my ignore list.

"I'm not profitable anymore."

What do you mean? Did your insurance company tell you that? Otherwise I have to agree with Frits. 

If you are on a Non-Imm O-A or O retirement, where you are classed by insurance definition as a long stay resident or temp resident, most insurance companies won't pay out on a claim. If you are Italian, but living long term in Thailand you may find reading the fine, fine print that they may not payout if they discover this fact. 

Many annual policies have unlimited travel with time limit restrictions per trip of 60-90 days, and also leaving from your home country. There are some exceptions, but country of residence is the important consideration with insurers. That Thai Non-Imm visa sticker in your PP can change all that as far as whether you are covered or not. A METV is a tourist visa, and if leaving the country every 60 days to another SE Asian destination and then returning to Thailand, would create less issues. 

As far as World Nomads? I have insured with them before for a couple of years, claim free. I had a query regarding having coverage taking short business trips as an "on-board courier" delivering documents etc. anywhere worldwide, that went unanswered. After an online complaint, then a manager jumped in with a promise of an answer. Poor service again, no follow-up. Then checking online reviews, very dismal customer service. Would I use them again? A big no.. 

Travel insurance is country specific for terms and conditions, so really no point asking anyone outside your own country.  World Nomads resells insurance products from other companies which also depend on your country, so for example, if your e a US citizen your policy is greatly different to a Norweigan citizen.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:11 PM, FritsSikkink said:

"I'm not profitable anymore."

More likely that you don't comply with the travel rules. 

A bit on a tangent, but many companies stop various insurance offerings for various reasons.  Citi card, one of the largest credit cards in the USA just stopped offering Collision Damage Waiver coverage on any rental vehicles.   They stated it is a benefit not used enough by members.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, Sheryl said:

I need to know the duration of your future  trips as many policies have limits.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I'm in Thailand at the moment on a METV (am not planning on getting an OA for now), so I need a policy that I can subscribe from here, without going back to my own country, that's why I mentioned World Nomads.

I'm planning to stay here for about six months/one year longer, I don't know exactly, and I want to be covered for medical emergencies, evacuation, motorbike accident, the usual travel insurance things. The only one that I already know is World Nomads that would suit my case. I'm asking if you know different/better alternatives because I'm reading conflicting opinions on them on the web.

Someone mentioned a 5 yr EU rule, I don't know, my company didn't talk about it, though my first annual policy with them was in 2015, so this would have been my fifth annual renewal (I went back home 2 times for about 1 yr total)

Please advise on a good insurance company (if you know any) I can subscribe from within Thailand that would give me the kind of travel insurance covering, for a period of at least 6 months without going back home (3+3 would be ok too).

Thanks a lot

On 10/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, dumbo said:

Try Assudis Expat, no limit of age, no pre existing medical history, 450 Euro????

I have looked at their insurance policy and it's great, but AXA (Belgium)!just confirmed that they have temporarily removed Thailand from the list of the expat destinations... Wait and see...

I have looked at their insurance policy and it's great, but AXA (Belgium)!just confirmed that they have temporarily removed Thailand from the list of the expat destinations... Wait and see...
It's a bit dubious too, they take anyone, all pre-existing, whatever. It needs thorough research before signing up

Archived