After the floods comes the drought: Now you can walk over to Laos!

webfact

After the floods comes the drought: Now you can walk over to Laos!

10pm.jpg

Thai caption: Mekhong River dries up - sudden drop in water at Keng Khut Khu

77kaoded reported that a section of the Mekhong River between Loei and Laos in Thailand's north east had dried up overnight. 

The earlier floods have now been replaced by a drought causing trouble for farmers. 

They said that sandbars had appeared over a one kilometer stretch of the river and that rocks marking the "Keng Khut Khu" rapids were now exposed. 

They added that in some areas it was now possible to simply walk over to the neighboring country of Laos. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-23

17 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This is truly shocking. We are at the height of the monsoon season. 

Not in Isaan, the rains finished a month ago! as they do every year, we don't get the Northeast monsoon rains up here.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Terribly dry year up here.

Certainly been a strange dry year, the saviour for our area was the storm "Podul" that came through and dumped a lot of water without floods, apart from that not much, very similar rainfall to 2012.

Plus, as I've read numerous times from experts on the forum, this climate change stuff is rubbish, so nought to worry about long-term. It is truly a blessing that the few people expert enough to understand that the data of thousands of different scientists from a variety of fields are completely wrong happen to all post here! Not only that, they discover this surfing the internet in their spare time while retired. Amazing Thailand!

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Not in Isaan, the rains finished a month ago! as they do every year, we don't get the Northeast monsoon rains up here.

Up here? ( In Nong Khai?) Isaan is 33 % of Thailand's area. We had some rain in lower Isaan from time to time, but the rainy season is definitely over now. 

We are definitely not "at the height of the monsoon season". Despite some tropical storms and flooding the past month or two, we are wayyy behind on rain and water reserves and for most of the country rainy season is winding down, the exception being the lower gulf where November can still be rainy, but for most of the country, especially the north, the rains are just about done for another 6 months. 

Meanwhile the Mekong at Vientiane is currently measuring 1.54 meter depth, which is insanely low at any time of year. Only good thing to come from it is they have this huge "beach" to set up temporary food stalls, bars, markets, etc which get busy at sunset. Early start to "festival season". 

http://ffw.mrcmekong.org/stations.php?StCode=VIE&StName=Vientiane

20 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Plus, as I've read numerous times from experts on the forum, this climate change stuff is rubbish, so nought to worry about long-term. It is truly a blessing that the few people expert enough to understand that the data of thousands of different scientists from a variety of fields are completely wrong happen to all post here! Not only that, they discover this surfing the internet in their spare time while retired. Amazing Thailand!

Here's some great info on this topic: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/global-warming-real/

20 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Up here? ( In Nong Khai?)

Close - Udon Thani

Here is some great info on the subject of climate change which doesn't fit into any political agenda - just facts, as is evident the climate has always changed and always will. The weather this year has been very similar to 2012 & 2003.

Geological_Timescale.jpg

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

I've read numerous times from experts on the forum, this climate change stuff is rubbish, so nought to worry about long-term. It is truly a blessing that the few people expert enough to understand that the data of thousands of different scientists from a variety of fields are completely wrong happen to all post here!

Obviously you know better than anyone that posts here that climate change is real, or you just believe anything that you read in the Main Stream Media that is supported by those in Silicone valley, namely google & facebook - if it doesn't fit into what they want us to read they will censor it & label it fake news!

I'm sure you are aware of the many papers that have been cast aside by the MSM that have been written & supported by many university's including Princeton and Yale!

I'm sure you are aware that the IPCC have now released data bases to be used in future climate change models as they consider the present nonsense being touted by the MSM to be "climate terrorists". Future reports will include the effects of solar particles & cosmic rays, surprise, surprise the sun affects the temperature on earth.

I'm sure you are also aware that solar activity has been stronger in the last hundred years than it has been for 9,000 years & that volcanic activity has been at its lowest levels, combined with record El Nino makes it impossible to deny climate change, though many will question if it is man-made.

18 hours ago, CGW said:

Obviously you know better than anyone that posts here that climate change is real, or you just believe anything that you read in the Main Stream Media that is supported by those in Silicone valley, namely google & facebook - if it doesn't fit into what they want us to read they will censor it & label it fake news!

I'm sure you are aware of the many papers that have been cast aside by the MSM that have been written & supported by many university's including Princeton and Yale!

I'm sure you are aware that the IPCC have now released data bases to be used in future climate change models as they consider the present nonsense being touted by the MSM to be "climate terrorists". Future reports will include the effects of solar particles & cosmic rays, surprise, surprise the sun affects the temperature on earth.

I'm sure you are also aware that solar activity has been stronger in the last hundred years than it has been for 9,000 years & that volcanic activity has been at its lowest levels, combined with record El Nino makes it impossible to deny climate change, though many will question if it is man-made.

Ah, there we go. Do point us to your peer-reviewed and published article in a scientific journal. What's that? You haven't written one? Well get on with it man! There are billions of dollars waiting for you once you publish your revolutionary thesis that debunks all the thousands of peer-reviewed and published papers in scientific journals.

And yes, I do work in the field.

If you wouldn't mind though, could you clarify the sentence that begins "I'm sure you are aware that the IPCC..."? It doesn't really make sense.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:45 PM, CGW said:

Close - Udon Thani

Here is some great info on the subject of climate change which doesn't fit into any political agenda - just facts, as is evident the climate has always changed and always will. The weather this year has been very similar to 2012 & 2003.

Geological_Timescale.jpg

Posting a graph like this without any context is pointless. Yes, CO2 was higher in the past - and mammals didn't really exist for most of that period. There are reasons why CO2 was higher, but that is a whole scientific area not really relevant to current climate. Humans as we know them have only been around for a lot less than one million years, so 95% of that graph is irrelevant to us,  only the last million years is, made up of ice ages and interglacials. The point is that current climatic changes are not 'normal' compared with this, and especially compared to the last 4000 years or so.

As for the drought, well one season doesn't mean climate change - but doesn't mean it isn't either. In my part of Udon rain was heavy, but concentrated into a much shorter season than 'normal'. As for temperature, definitely warmer winters than 10 years ago - last winter was exceptionally warm, only put a jacket on one evening and a jumper about 3 times.

I have been trying to do the garden, but have to stop one hour earlier in the morning, to damn hot. 37 Centigrade Maximum today, and most days this month have been over 33 C. 11 years ago i was wearing a jumper! ....

15 hours ago, rickudon said:

Posting a graph like this without any context is pointless.

Only if you can't read a graph :wink: the point of a graph is it makes the information easy to understand - accepted not all are used to reading graphs.

We tend to remember & perceive facts a little different to reality! it has been hot this week! but 11 years ago you were wearing a jumper?

I know you like graphs ???? so 11 years ago you were wearing a jumper when it was av 31°c?

11.png

May not have been 11 years to the day ...... but i was wearing a jumper in the the evening sometimes, definitely in November. Last winter got it out only about 3 times, this year not since early January.

Showing a graph for the last 600 million years rather obscures what has happened in the last couple of thousand, or the last decade ...... also continents were a lot different in the geological past, so temperatures could be from different latitudes.

The sun, of course, has little effect on climate change - at least since we have been able to measure it accurately (about 40 years), the solar constant has only fluctuated by 0.1% - which is associated to the sunspot cycles. In the long term (millions of years), the sun is slowly getting hotter - but this doesn't get reflected over geological time so far in the earth's climate - probably because CO2 regulates this. Are you aware of the 'faint young sun' paradox?

22 minutes ago, rickudon said:

The sun, of course, has little effect on climate change - at least since we have been able to measure it accurately (about 40 years), the solar constant has only fluctuated by 0.1% - which is associated to the sunspot cycles. In the long term (millions of years), the sun is slowly getting hotter - but this doesn't get reflected over geological time so far in the earth's climate - probably because CO2 regulates this. Are you aware of the 'faint young sun' paradox?

I'm not so convinced that the sun has little effect on climate change, one of the websites I do look in on is Space weather news, can be eerily accurate, but then so can the Thai Met Dept on occasion, they have been spot on for Udon and the "heatwave" the last few days.

Never heard off the 'faint young sun' paradox" before, just had a quick read, interesting - though kinda vague so far, keeps my brain occupied, one thing they did say in the article is pasted below, sure this will happen in the future, be interesting when everyone looses use of their "devices"

"Solar flares occur when the sun lets out an unusually large amount of electromagnetic radiation from its surface. These are often followed by coronal mass ejections (CMEs), which consist of fast-moving, high-energy plasma from the sun. Even though the Earth’s magnetic field offers some protection against solar flares and CMEs, the more violent ones can easily break through the atmosphere. When they do, they can cause havoc by disrupting everything from modern electronic devices to satellites."

Archived