Is it possible to convert rear drum brake to disc brake on PCX scooter?

luwahn

Is it possible to convert the rear drum brake to a disc brake on a PCX 150? Do they sell drum-brake to disc-brake conversion kits?

I know it's a relatively easy procedure for a car, I'm hoping it's the same for this scooter.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Never seen it done...is it possible ? yes with a big amount of "faffing" around with custom made bits and bobs...the big question though is why ?

Use the front disk brake for 75% braking and the back brake for the rest...

Most of our students have accidents because they're not aware that using the front brake in rain is causing them to crash.

Using the front brake to 75 % on sand will also knock you down.

IMO, a healthy mix of both  brakes should usually do the trick. Perhaps there are some better brake shoes out there? 

I don't think it's easily possible to convert such a wheel into a disc brake. You'd need plenty of modifications that might not even fit on these bikes.

Yes of course I should have said 75 % front brake in the dry, no sand and straight roads...more back brake employment in the wet,sand or when cornering ..note that braking in a corner is not advisable ,all braking should be done before entering the corner but if you have to brake in a corner then back brake is the better option as a rear wheel skid is easier to recover from, a front wheel skid in a corner almost always will be disastrous.

1 hour ago, luwahn said:

Is it possible to convert the rear drum brake to a disc brake on a PCX 150?

Dunno but a well maintained rear drum will lock up the rear wheel and so why bother with disc conversion especially on a scoot.

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Dunno but a well maintained rear drum will lock up the rear wheel and so why bother with disc conversion especially on a scoot.

I agree, why bother. During heavy breaking a lot of the weight is on the front wheel anyway. 

My old first gen 150cc pcx have been fine, nothing to complain about, including the brakes. It got dual brake system as well.

Does the latest pcx have ABS in Thailand?

It seems on most bikes the original brakes fit the needs. On front wheels they need to be stronger than on the rear. 
I am pretty sure the original PCX brake will do the job.

What do you expect from a rear disc brake? Better braking? Faster stopping? I have my doubts.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I agree, why bother. During heavy breaking a lot of the weight is on the front wheel anyway. 

My old first gen 150cc pcx have been fine, nothing to complain about, including the brakes. It got dual brake system as well.

Does the latest pcx have ABS in Thailand?

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems on most bikes the original brakes fit the needs. On front wheels they need to be stronger than on the rear. 
I am pretty sure the original PCX brake will do the job.

What do you expect from a rear disc brake? Better braking? Faster stopping? I have my doubts.

I am looking for ways to avoid the possibility of wheel lock-ups on my PCX because I personally don't cherish the thought of being thrown off a scooter.
I began this thread by asking whether a disc brake could replace the rear drum brake on my PCX. My ultimate goal is to install dual ABS. Now that I know the PCX ABS model is sold in Indonesia, I now have to find out if, (1), the F/R ABS hdwr, all the rear disc components - wheel and hub, disc and hdwr, etc. - are interchangeable with my 2015 model. If so, (2), would it be easy to get the Indonesian parts shipped to LOS - exorbitant import custom fees?

5 hours ago, johng said:

Never seen it done...is it possible ? yes with a big amount of "faffing" around with custom made bits and bobs...the big question though is why ?

Use the front disk brake for 75% braking and the back brake for the rest...

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Most of our students have accidents because they're not aware that using the front brake in rain is causing them to crash.

Using the front brake to 75 % on sand will also knock you down.

IMO, a healthy mix of both  brakes should usually do the trick. Perhaps there are some better brake shoes out there? 

I don't think it's easily possible to convert such a wheel into a disc brake. You'd need plenty of modifications that might not even fit on these bikes.

What gave me away? ????️‍♀️

Yes I am a noob and looking to have the protection of ABS. Thanks for those braking tips! ????

2 hours ago, luwahn said:

What gave me away? ????️‍♀️

Yes I am a noob and looking to have the protection of ABS. Thanks for those braking tips! ????

Not really you sound like an inexperienced scoot rider who can't be bothered to learn how to emergency brake in all conditions.

If you think basic ABS will save you think again, it's a scoot.

A conversion kit per se, is no longer required because Issanman's post presents ~ 90% solution: The Indonesian PCX mfg plant already produces a dual disc - ABS PCX model.

Besides installing the physical hardware, is there a more difficult step to converting a non-ABS to ABS? Some type of logic controller system? Could this be a stand-alone unit? 
The reason I have not bought a different scooter is because there is no other 150cc auto scooter sold in LOS that has dual disc brakes and ABS that also suits my personal tastes.

NMAX 155 is equipped with a 230mm front disc and a 230mm rear disc that give plenty of feel for smooth braking. This high spec scooter also comes with ABS as standard, to give you even more controllable braking power and increased confidence in varying.

image.jpeg

& equally ugly as the PCX !!

5 hours ago, luwahn said:

A conversion kit per se, is no longer required because Issanman's post presents ~ 90% solution: The Indonesian PCX mfg plant already produces a dual disc - ABS PCX model.

Besides installing the physical hardware, is there a more difficult step to converting a non-ABS to ABS? Some type of logic controller system? Could this be a stand-alone unit? 
The reason I have not bought a different scooter is because there is no other 150cc auto scooter sold in LOS that has dual disc brakes and ABS that also suits my personal tastes.

probably just the sensors and the ECU

16 hours ago, papa al said:

NMAX 155 is equipped with a 230mm front disc and a 230mm rear disc that give plenty of feel for smooth braking. This high spec scooter also comes with ABS as standard, to give you even more controllable braking power and increased confidence in varying.

image.jpeg

& equally ugly as the PCX !!

IMHO, Nmax looks just about as good as the PCX. That's the kind of style I prefer for my scooter. It has the features I like also. I would have bought it if it weren't for those puny 13" wheels! I just can't go there. Also there are minor esthetic issues and quality areas I take issue with.

12 hours ago, alx123 said:

probably just the sensors and the ECU

That's it.

Since the PCX model has been mfg for 2(?) model years with dual discs & ABS, this is looking to be more and more doable. Attaching the basic hardware components should be the easiest part of this project. The next step will be to determine the ability of being able to properly install the ABS unit and any of its related sensors (one or two other components?).

There is a new PCX  in the wings with Variable Valve Timing (VTEC) so maybe it has a rear disk brake so parts can be swapped over. I would forget trying to adapt a not ABS to ABS or a single channel ABS to dual. But hey if you need a frustrating project 

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about the legality of your project?

Would your bike be street legal if you change the brakes?

I have no problem with minor modifications. But different brakes, possibly installed by a non-professional, does not sound good.

A few years back,

papa's mech replaced the crappy brake calipers

and rear master cylinder

on the chinese Lifan X-plore

with some Kawasaki units.

B2500 / super better.

Haven't been arrested or fined,

(well, at least not for that)

nor failed safety inspection.

Thanks for caring tho.

5 minutes ago, papa al said:
23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about the legality of your project?

Would your bike be street legal if you change the brakes?

I have no problem with minor modifications. But different brakes, possibly installed by a non-professional, does not sound good.

A few years back,

papa's mech replaced the crappy brake calipers

and rear master cylinder

on the chinese Lifan X-plore

with some Kawasaki units.

B2500 / super better.

Haven't been arrested or fined,

(well, at least not for that)

nor failed safety inspection.

Thanks for caring tho.

I guess it might become a problem if an insurance has to pay a lot of money and they look for a reason why they can refuse to pay.

A while back someone in this forum said I have a natural ABS on my rear break in the form of drum break... !? lol ....So true, note that a disk rear break locks wheel very easily, fair enough this is not as bad as front wheel lock, but still will give you a hell of a fright if not used to it. 

A rear disk break is good with ABS, or perhaps for a scooter just the drum is fine, with a bit of adjustment it works well with the front disk, if it is spongy, just a adjust it to bite higher/earlier a bit, don't bother with changing it...

Also PCX has that combined breaking system, so need to consider that, it has been designed to work with drum/disk and not disk/disk... 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, alx123 said:

Possible but not worth it. And I don't think there is a kit to install ABS on non-abs bikes. 

Sell the bike and buy a new bike equipped with disk brakes and ABS. 

Or just sell the bike and walk. It will be much safer as it is clear he does not have a clue. Sorry to be so blunt.

Archived