Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Somkid in China zeroes in on Guangdong innovators

Recommended Posts

Somkid in China zeroes in on Guangdong innovators

By THE NATION

 

800_0e019329666bd87.jpg?v=1571816643

 

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak gave a speech on Wednesday (October 23) during an official visit to Shenzhen, China, on the topic “Strategic Partnership through the Belt and Road Initiative and the EEC”, which highlighted improving relations with southern Guangdong province.

 

“Guangdong is now an innovation leader producing modern entrepreneurs in many technology-oriented industries,” he said. “Its advances prompted President Xi Jinping to initiate the Great Bay Area [GBA] project to promote Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Macao as a strategy gateway connecting modern China to the rest of the world.”

 

Prior to the visit, Somkid met his Chinese counterpart Han Zheng and State Councillor Wang Yong to discuss establishing economic collaboration between Thailand and the GBA.

 

“In the past five years Thailand’s economy has expanded continually, with this year’s GDP predicted at 2.7-3.2 per cent,” he said. “Our competitive index was ranked eighth globally by the International Institute for Management Development, while ease of doing business ranked 27th for the past two years."

 

“These factors attract foreigners to bring their business to Thailand, not to mention that many business owners in Thailand have Chinese ancestors, which strengthens future relations between our countries.”

 

Somkid noted several cultural similarities, such as in food and religion.

 

“This plays to our advantage, since many Chinese tourists are already visiting Thailand. The government is aiming to increase their number by two or three times and is promoting future Sino-Thai joint ventures in related infrastructure, such as high-speed railways.”

 

Board of Investment (BOI) secretary-general Duangjai Asawachintachit, accompanying Somkid on the trip, said the board had prepared several “privileges” for overseas investors, including a five-year extension of those privileges for those in technology and startup industries investing in the EEC and remote areas.

 

“This year the BOI attracted more than Bt680 billion worth of investment, a 130-per-cent increase from last year, while investment from China in the EEC up to June stood at Bt59 billion,” she said.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377679

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-23
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ease of doing business ranked 27th there is a 1 missing somewhere🤔

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand about to disappear behind the Bamboo Curtain.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The Thai Chinese can hardly contain their excitement at being able to kick out all the evil farang influence. 

 

They care nothing that the Chinese have much of this "innovation" as a result of theft. 

 

In fact, they probably admire the Chinese for it. 

Most countries in Southeast Asia have foreign-made fighter jets, such as the F-16 and Mig-29. Show me a single country that could reverse engineer the planes that they have purchased and manufactured them in huge numbers. None? Why? Because you still need to be very, very clever to be able to do that. Reverse engineering is legal in most parts of the world, including in the US. Also, patents do expire and after that, copying is legal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Most countries in Southeast Asia have foreign-made fighter jets, such as the F-16 and Mig-29. Show me a single country that could reverse engineer the planes that they have purchased and manufactured them in huge numbers. None? Why? Because you still need to be very, very clever to be able to do that. Reverse engineering is legal in most parts of the world, including in the US. Also, patents do expire and after that, copying is legal.

I have said many times that I beleive the Chinese are clever. 

 

Do I admire their ability to steal? 

 

No, do you? 

 

I admire people who work hard, fight fair and win within rules. 

 

Would you admire me if I used my martial arts and military training to assault and hospitalise you and then steal your possessions? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have said many times that I beleive the Chinese are clever. 

 

Do I admire their ability to steal? 

 

No, do you? 

 

I admire people who work hard, fight fair and win within rules. 

 

Would you admire me if I used my martial arts and military training to assault and hospitalise you and then steal your possessions? 

Do you consider Apple's imitation of the Xerox Star's interface and Microsoft's imitation of the Mac interface as stealing? The US courts didn't think so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Do you consider Apple's imitation of the Xerox Star's interface and Microsoft's imitation of the Mac interface as stealing? The US courts didn't think so.

I see, so a kind of moral relativism argument. Or, one that relies, effectively, on power - what a country can get away with. 

 

This type of understanding of the world is very common amongst Asians, who often understand ultimate lessons well but often fail to understand context. 

 

In that case, the only authority is whoever has the ultimate power. 

 

So, to the playground (or battlefield) we go. Last man standing is "right". 

 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I see, so a kind of moral relativism argument. Or, one that relies, effectively, on power - what a country can get away with. 

 

This type of understanding of the world is very common amosgst Asians, who often understand ultimate lessons well but often fail to understand context. 

 

In that case, the only authority is whoever has the ultimate power. 

 

So, to the playground (or battlefield) we go. Last man standing is "right". 

Not really. That's how the world advances. You observe, copy and then improve on what is available. I bet the US had learned something from the Mig-25 that landed in Japan by a Soviet defector pilot. How did Huawei managed to come out with so many 5G patents? Where did they copy from? Huawei may have started a long time ago by copying and imitating but as they get more experienced, they became more innovative and now they are the industry leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Selatan said:

How did Huawei managed to come out with so many 5G patents? Where did they copy from? Huawei may have started a long time ago by copying and imitating but as they get more experienced, they became more innovative and now they are the industry leader

Yes, this argument is directly from Ren Zhengfei and the army of "wumao" Chinese internet trolls all over the world in every country. 

 

"If it [the final product] has never existed, how could we have copied it?" 

 

It's an argument for a child or a poorly educated adult. Pretty stupid argument, right? 

 

If a thing requires 1,000 things to create, of varying importance, and you copy or steal 997 of them, or you steal 80% of the most important things, and then create the new thing, it's still theft. 

 

All I can say is let's see who wins this. Huawei can be easily crushed and will likely be. 

 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Selatan said:

That's how the world advances. You observe, copy

OK. I will advance by stealing all your possessions. 

 

Law doesn't matter. Ethics don't matter. Morality doesn't matter. 

 

All that matters is power. 

 

Deal? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...