Confusion over hotel/address in Bangkok

Hi all, I left Thailand just before the coup (the latest one) but am due to go back next month for a few weeks. I've read online about some new system whereby I have to register my address with the authorities but I don't really fully understand it. I'll be staying in a hotel in BKK for the first 2 nights and then moving into a rented apartment for a weeks after that. Do I need to inform the police or immigration of both addresses? Sounds a bit nuts, but then in Thailand something like that wouldn't entirely surprise me, Anyway, all advice would be much appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Thanks guys. That's a relief! What will they come up with next? Electronic tags? Is it part of the TAT's new scheme to attract tourists? 

Mandatory GPS in/on vehicles.......hmmm. Seriously though.

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Confused 1

It is nothing new - registration of foreign guests has been required for many years and most tourist hotels and above have always done it.  But smaller places and B&B type places often have not done.  In an attempt to get all to do immigration now tasks the foreigner in providing proof of such reporting to obtain many services in the hope our pressure will force owners/hotels to comply.  It is the normal handover of passport for copy that is normally asked at hotels.  They in turn should report your stay.

For hotel stay the hotel will do it. 

For rented accommodation the owner needs to do a TM30 within 24 hours. 

If he doesn't and you need to do anything at immigration which requires you reporting your address then you and the property owner may be fined.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aegdawson said:

If he doesn't and you need to do anything at immigration which requires you reporting your address then you and the property owner may be fined.

There is only one fine for late TM30 reporting but it can range from about 600 to 2,000 baht for non commercial accommodations.  The person making the late report is who gets fined - but if doing for you it is likely to be considered your responsibility to pay.  In what I would consider a convoluted definition of housemaster they have been accepting reporting by the occupant in some cases and holding them responsible for fine (for something which most visitors haven't a clue). 

• Like 1

You will need to be reported by your landlord in your apartment. You will need copies of lease  passport, landlord ownership details etc if you do it by your self. But it must be done once you have left the hotels. You can use an agent who knows the ropes to help you for about 500 baht.

Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday I emailed the landlady of the flat I'm planning to rent to ask her about this, and she said she'd never heard of the TM30 but will "look into it". I guess as long as I don't have to go to immigration I should be ok? No fine at airport when leaving?

• Like 1