Seven people killed in van-truck collision in Ubon

webfact

My condolences to the families of those who died.

Earlier this week I was driving on the 210 to Nongbualamphu around 8 a.m. which is a mixture of 80 & 90 km/h limit. I was doing about 85 in the 90 zone in the left lane, pickups loaded with people and mini vans whizzing by me like 'there was no tomorrow'. No matter how many accidents there are reported the danger just appear to 'sink in' to these drivers. It is so sad to think there will more to come.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because their is no formal training here in road safety, especially for drivers of buses this will be a never ending story.

Not to mention that many of these small buses are horribly unstable at anything over 80 KPH, especially when loaded with passengers and luggage.

16 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Some years back, while on one of my monthly bike road trips on my CBR250, I was on Hwy 11, returning to Chiang Mai from Lampang, doing 120 kph. I saw a silver minivan in my mirrors gaining on me - quickly. I cut my speed to 100 kph and moved over to the left lane, which was empty. Seconds later SIX (6) minivans went FLYING past me, doing at least 140 kph, damn near bumper to bumper. Not many things I'm afraid of, but that scared the hell out of me. 

They're chasing after the money, because they get paid by the trip....

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The Van must have really been traveling very fast to

tip over the truck, RIP,

Looks like no change in the cases of multiple deaths

on the roads,the Government is trying to curb peoples

intake of salt and sugar...for their health...while its the

roads where people are meeting their demise,20,000

a year, how many planes full of people crashing in

Thailand does that represent ,to put it into context,something has to change.

regards worgeordie

No,nothing has to change- and nothing will change. Where’s the incentive?

1 hour ago, jarda said:

So frequent, they never learn. Done visa run from Phuket to Penang a few months ago and it was a run to hell. The maniac driver going 140 in pouring  rain at night. Suppose i was lucky to survive it.

I'd say you were very lucky. Did you write down  the van's registration number for lottery use?

48 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

My condolences to the families of those who died.

Earlier this week I was driving on the 210 to Nongbualamphu around 8 a.m. which is a mixture of 80 & 90 km/h limit. I was doing about 85 in the 90 zone in the left lane, pickups loaded with people and mini vans whizzing by me like 'there was no tomorrow'. No matter how many accidents there are reported the danger just appear to 'sink in' to these drivers. It is so sad to think there will more to come.

Are reports of accidents seen by Thais, I doubt it. The vast majority are probably unaware of the carnage on their roads except for the odd person they know from the village.

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

Another accident involving a mini bus travelling at high speed and a driver who hasn't got the skills to control it , I have seen so many of these travelling at excessive speeds it beggars belief .

I think you're referring to mini-vans travelling at high speed that you've seen so many of, this is one of the newer mini-buses, unfortunately still driven by morons... which is part of the reason for the high death rates on roads in Thailand . 
I'm sure the transport minister can retrieve all the information he requires from the GPS which will have recorded the excessive speed, unfortunately it did nothing to prevent a suicide jockey with a "lead right foot" from killing people!

He needs to re-think his idea of 100% GPS installation if he thinks that's the answer to reducing road deaths.

Educating & training drivers is the only way to go.

18 hours ago, Lungstib said:

If we cant get better driving at least try to restrict vans speeds to 80kph. Forget the GPS for everyone, fit a tachograph in every van, bus and lorry and have all daily records checked. This stupidity needs to end.

Put governors on the vans so they cannot go over 80 forget the GPS where the law make has a GPS company on the side

18 hours ago, Lungstib said:

If we cant get better driving at least try to restrict vans speeds to 80kph. Forget the GPS for everyone, fit a tachograph in every van, bus and lorry and have all daily records checked. This stupidity needs to end.

I entirely agree and I have suggested the fitting of tachographs before, but all I got in reply was "you must be joking - TIT" It would be almost impossible to enforce. Yes, speed kills so does tiredness and many Thai drivers are on the road for long hours without a break, drinking energy drinks to keep going and earn extra money. 

I've related this story here before (previous road carnage incidents). I've travelled in many Thai mini vans with my Thai gal. All were A1 cautious except for one idiot driver when travelling from Surat Thani City to Krabi.

He took every chance imaginable. I wanted to speak up but gf discouraged me. In hindsight, I wish I had. It was so bad, I would have gladly walked.

This nutter should have been under the control of a tachograph.

I do not wish to sound trite but the problem has been fixed by Deputy Interior Minister Niphon Bunyamanee. He is arranging for there to be 20,000 less accidents on Thai roads per year. 

He provided media proof by playing some stupid motorcycle game with his personal PR clown standing behind him and all his lickspittles giving him the thumbs up. See how easy it was!

This is very serious stuff for politicians who are completely bereft of brains.

thumbs up.jpg

I really don't care. The Thais obviously don't as they refuse to do anything about the appalling carnage, so why should I? As we so often read on here, it's their country and up to them. There cannot be a single family in Thailand that doesn't know of someone, probably a family member, who has been killed or seriously injured. The only thing that might initiate a change is if a member of the Royal Family is killed or injured. And even then it's doubtful. You can't change the mindset of a people who always know best, even when they know nothing.

The bottom line is that nobody cares enough to tackle the problem, and we are helpless to change anything. All we can do is take as many precautions as possible and hope we don't join the statistics, but if a vehicle comes at you head-on or as in this case across a divide there is nothing you can do.

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

Another accident involving a mini bus travelling at high speed and a driver who hasn't got the skills to control it , I have seen so many of these travelling at excessive speeds it beggars belief .

Exactly @Keith101 I now won't go on mini-vans (rot twos) anymore for travel outside of BKK. Short excursions within BKK rarely if that but not far.

2 hours ago, dave moir said:

The simple solution is to fit speed limiters to all mini buses even large trucks and buses then there might be a reduction in the Carnage we keep on seeing day in and day out!

Why only those vehicles? I remember once hiring a car in the USA and the speed was limited to, I think, 65mph. I was on an empty straight road and tried putting my foot down, and that's all I got.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I really don't care. The Thais obviously don't as they refuse to do anything about the appalling carnage, so why should I? As we so often read on here, it's their country and up to them. There cannot be a single family in Thailand that doesn't know of someone, probably a family member, who has been killed or seriously injured. The only thing that might initiate a change is if a member of the Royal Family is killed or injured. And even then it's doubtful. You can't change the mindset of a people who always know best, even when they know nothing.

The bottom line is that nobody cares enough to tackle the problem, and we are helpless to change anything. All we can do is take as many precautions as possible and hope we don't join the statistics, but if a vehicle comes at you head-on or as in this case across a divide there is nothing you can do.

Just curious if you use mini-vans?

1 hour ago, kentrot said:

This government is very good at one thing .. making RULES.

Here is a thought - how about a rule that insists every van has a speed limiter.

At a cost of about $50 US , a bargain

NXS-3 Vehicle Speed Limiter For School Buses, Truc

https://www.h-nec.com/nxs-3-vehicle-speed-limiter-for-school-buses-trucks-with-speed-signal-wire-p00082p1.html

Pointless. They would also have to make a law that it is turned on, another thing entirely, and then they have to have patrols out to ensure there aren't people speeding with the device turned off, and then they have to recruit a police force that enforces the law.

I said turned on, because there's a law that large buildings must have a sprinkler system installed. What is now the Intercontinental Hotel in Bangkok complied, but the day before the building was due to open an air-conditioning unit exploded due to faulty installation (now, there's a surprise), and a massive fire developed that required people trapped in the building to be airlifted off the roof by helicopter. It transpired that although there was a law to install the sprinkler system there was no law to say it had to be turned on. So it wasn't.

In Thailand you have to state things very, very clearly as common sense is completely absent. Another related anecdote was the chap here who called a restaurant and asked if he needed to reserve a table for that evening. He was told no, he showed up, and the place was closed. He'd received the right answer, but..... Thais do not think the same way as us, who would have told him the place would be closed that evening. He didn't ask the question so he wasn't told.

Last summer my wife was supposed to go to Lampang (from Chiang Mai) on a company trip. I asked how they were going. Rent minivan! she told me. I told her she was not going. Told her I would take her in the car. She was furious, and wanted to go with her friends, but I wouldn't give in, so she said she just wouldn't go. Next day we found out the minivan had crashed at a high rate of speed, killing 4 of the 9 passengers, and costing the right leg of another. She came to me and very humbly said "Thank You". 

22 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

Just curious if you use mini-vans?

I have done, three times. Once the driver was a man aged 50+ who drove properly, the second was a lady driver who drove properly, the third was a brainless moron who did his best to kill us. That was the last time. I only used the last van to avoid waiting over two hours for a bus, but next time I'll wait. It just isn't worth the risk.

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

Are reports of accidents seen by Thais, I doubt it. The vast majority are probably unaware of the carnage on their roads except for the odd person they know from the village.

It is shown every single day on many Thai TV channels  So everyone know.  My wife being Miss zapping there is not one day I do not see it more than onetime myself.

R.I.P. The almighty country image is yet again tarnished at the cost of human lives. In this area, I fear nothing will change. In these instances, the authorities should be forced to line up for a photo op of irresponsibility. Pathetic.

3 hours ago, dave moir said:

The simple solution is to fit speed limiters to all mini buses even large trucks and buses then there might be a reduction in the Carnage we keep on seeing day in and day out!

While I share your optimism fitting a speed limiter is of no help.. if the maximum set speed is 80kmph

some idiot will try to do it in a 30kmph zone.
Education & training backed-up with harsh penalties is the only way to go!

Archived