Requirements to Marry in Thailand

spookysully

From the United States and am finally marrying my longtime (7years) Girlfriend. Her family is happy, we're happy, everyone's happy but I'm wondering exactly what I'll be looking at as far as requirements for the frustrating, ever changing, shifting and often extremely hard to understand Thai bureaucracy.

I'm guessing money and a background check? Never been arrested anywhere and though not extravagant, my income keeps us fat enough. Time frame on this would also be appreciated.

Talking with a Thai at the embassy in Vientiane I was told I would need to go to the US embassy in Bangkok for proof that I'm not currently married, sadly this was all the info he had.. I've never been married so this isn't a problem but any input on this is appreciated. Thanks to any and all who can offer suggestions/solutions etc. Many Cheers!

I'm a Brit but I guess the requirements are the same for all nationalities so I'll set out what they are for me and perhaps that will help:

Visit the embassy in Thailand and swear an Affirmation to Marry.

Take the above document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) in Bangkok and get it translated and stamped.

Visit the AMphur where you intend to get married and get married.

Job done.

I'm a senior Belgian. Been in Thailand 30 years. Never married. Always worked and lived outside Europe.

Met a delightful young girl 8 years ago. We decided to get married recently and live together my Golden Years in her village (bought land and a house there).

Both of us went to the Belgian Consulate in BKK for interview to get the Thai-imposed non-impeachment to marriage certificate.

Normally issued with no fuss but we didn't get it.

The age difference between us is so great that the Consul said the document must be approved by authorities in Belgium.

But he was gracious enough to grant us a second interview. Consul with me 30'. TGF with Thai lady 20'.

Consul said he was satisfied enough with the secondary interview that he'd recommend approval but still, by Belgian Consular Code he had to submit my request to a "Procureur du Roi" in Belgium.

I'm now waiting for the answer from Belgium (where I've not lived for over 50 years).

Note that the TGF has no financial incentive to marry me as I named her my total inheritor already four years ago.

For her it's mostly a matter of social standing.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:31 PM, baansgr said:

All you require is your passport and a letter of no impediment from your Embassy in BKK...if divorced you require your divorce papers for the Embassy. Timeframe is usually only a few days at most.

Did you forget about the translations that have to be approved?

Some amphurs may require different papers that others- as usual there is not always standardisation of legalities in LOS.

I was refused in Bkk, and approved in Pattaya.

I don't understand why the OP, the farang has to find out? Get the beloved to do that- she is after all a Thai, and they are getting married in Thailand.

19 hours ago, jayceenik said:

I'm a senior Belgian. Been in Thailand 30 years. Never married. Always worked and lived outside Europe.

Met a delightful young girl 8 years ago. We decided to get married recently and live together my Golden Years in her village (bought land and a house there).

Both of us went to the Belgian Consulate in BKK for interview to get the Thai-imposed non-impeachment to marriage certificate.

Normally issued with no fuss but we didn't get it.

The age difference between us is so great that the Consul said the document must be approved by authorities in Belgium.

But he was gracious enough to grant us a second interview. Consul with me 30'. TGF with Thai lady 20'.

Consul said he was satisfied enough with the secondary interview that he'd recommend approval but still, by Belgian Consular Code he had to submit my request to a "Procureur du Roi" in Belgium.

I'm now waiting for the answer from Belgium (where I've not lived for over 50 years).

Note that the TGF has no financial incentive to marry me as I named her my total inheritor already four years ago.

For her it's mostly a matter of social standing.

"Social standing" can be satisfied with a "monk" wedding. No need to go through the whole malarkey of a legal wedding.

I wonder if they'll be asking for sin sod, LOL.

Interesting that Belgium is now infested with PC. Would they stop a millionaire man marrying a young trophy wife, or is it just Thais that are special?

On 10/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, baansgr said:

All you require is your passport and a letter of no impediment from your Embassy in BKK...if divorced you require your divorce papers for the Embassy. Timeframe is usually only a few days at most.

Just went through this (information above is correct). The only caveat is that you need to have the documents that the US Embassy gives you officially translated into Thai, which can be done across the street from the embassy at the TSL office. Depending upon the Amphur, you might also need an official copy of the relevant pages of your passport from the US Embassy which also needs to be officially translated to Thai.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:41 AM, jayceenik said:

that is an infringement on your civil rights. ????
How can it be allowed that a civil servant may decide on whether you should marry or not.

They can issue a certificate of no objection (as I got) or refuse if they have reason to believe that you are married to someone else, or would not be allowed to marry in Belgium for reasons of insanity or whatever.

Whether you fancy someone 30 years younger or older than you is none of their business.

A Thai would have information on what they need - not what a foreigners needs.  As said first step is affirmation at US Consulate which is in English - then translation into Thai (District Office only accepts Thai) - after translation made it must be registered as a legal document with MFA (they will provide stamped/numbered translation) and normally you let translation service do this at extra cost.  Then you/spouse visit a District Office to register the marriage.  They may require extra things so good to check in advance - you can use another office if one is not friendly.  Normally two witness will have to sign and most will want a foreigner to have a Thai/English speaker if not fluent with Thai as paperwork will be in Thai.  

On 10/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, baansgr said:

And, if you have never been married before, how would you prove that please?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some amphurs may require different papers that others- as usual there is not always standardization of legalities 

I was refused in Bkk, and approved in Pattaya.

It it totally up to the amphur what they require.  Pattaya was requiring a background check taking up to two months.  Bangkok only the letter of single status from the U.S. Embassy and a translation of the affidavit of single status from English to Thai legalized by the Ministry. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"Social standing" can be satisfied with a "monk" wedding. No need to go through the whole malarkey of a legal wedding.

I wonder if they'll be asking for sin sod, LOL.

Interesting that Belgium is now infested with PC. Would they stop a millionaire man marrying a young trophy wife, or is it just Thais that are special?

What is a "monk" wedding 

"ever changing, shifting and often extremely hard to understand Thai bureaucracy."

When did the requirements = paperwork, change regarding a marriage in Thailand? Use Google and you'll find exactly what you need from trustworthy websites. 

On 10/23/2019 at 11:33 AM, saengd said:

I'm a Brit but I guess the requirements are the same for all nationalities so I'll set out what they are for me and perhaps that will help:

Take the above document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) in Bangkok and get it translated and stamped.

Job done.

Will be pm'ing you.

As I remember the process;

Went to the US Embassy for an affidavit to confirm I was 'free to marry'. Took my divorce papers with me, but not needed.

Got it translated and certified at MFA. There is a translation service on the mezzanine level, so do it all in one place.

Our local amphur decided they needed a certified translated copy of my passport, so that required an extra trip to Bangkok.

Then it's just 2 witness', blue books and ID cards 

Do remember to add in an extra 2 to 4 weeks in the process. Especially if you are coming here to get married within a holiday timeframe!! Many amphurs are sending back your documents to MFA for verifying. It is very hit and miss on this and Bangkok is not a good area.  

On 10/23/2019 at 11:33 AM, saengd said:

Job done.

Greetings. almost right but there is a bit more. 

Firstly book appointments with the British Embassy to notarise the Affirmation of Marriage and your Passport. Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand  You will need to fill out and print off the Affirmation of Marriage and bring that with you. They will do a colour photocopy of your passport and notarise it.

Then you will need to go to MFA for their notarising. When you enter the building, go up the stairs and there will be a translating service there. Best to use them in case anything is wrong, they are onsite to rectify! They will translate, present to MFA and post back to you via EMS for about 2100 baht. Well worth the money and saves 2 trips to MFA.

When it comes to the marriage a great deal will depend on where you are doing this. Many amphurs are sending the same documents back to MFA for verifying. This is thanks to scam marriages etc. This can add another 2 to 4 weeks on the timeline. I was lucky when I married in Dec 2018 as we did it at our local amphur in Bang Saphan Noi where the family is known so had no problems. Mind you this process did not come in fully until 2019, and is very hit and miss. Many amphurs in Bangkok do this procedure unfortunately.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:28 PM, KKr said:

How can it be allowed that a civil servant may decide on whether you should marry or not.

They can issue a certificate of no objection (as I got) or refuse if they have reason to believe that you are married to someone else, or would not be allowed to marry in Belgium for reasons of insanity or whatever.

Whether you fancy someone 30 years younger or older than you is none of their business.

The Thais insist on that Certificate from all nationalities. Belgium obliges but only according to its Consular Code which states that if a Belgian national requests such a document he/she must make temporary domicile in Belgium so that the Certificate can be issued/denied by the relevant Procureur du Roi. 

Nevertheless a Consul can issue the Certificate without this requirement if everything is OK with him. It's just that in my case the age difference is such that he preferred that the approval be requested from Belgium.

I made instant temporary domicile in Belgium by giving the address of an old friend.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, KKr said:

Take that up with Laos. Apparently they won't let a farang marry a Laotian girl if the farang is too old. I wish Thailand had a law like that. Would have saved me a load of grief.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:28 PM, GinBoy2 said:

As I remember the process;

Went to the US Embassy for an affidavit to confirm I was 'free to marry'. Took my divorce papers with me, but not needed.

Got it translated and certified at MFA. There is a translation service on the mezzanine level, so do it all in one place.

Our local amphur decided they needed a certified translated copy of my passport, so that required an extra trip to Bangkok.

Then it's just 2 witness', blue books and ID cards 

The embassy don't care if you are indeed free to marry. They are just witnessing that you say you are free to marry, and charging for it. They don't search the records back home, and indeed, you could be married to someone from another country and not registered in home country.

Archived