RE: 60 day extension to visit your wife

You wife must be with you when you apply for the extension.

Best to have the original marriage certificate with you in case they want to see it. A copy is also needed.

You will need proof of residence to prove you are living where the office is located unless living where your wife's house book registry is for.

• Thanks 2

I was about to start a thread but maybe I dont need to after seeing this. I think Ubonjoe can answer this pretty quick. 

My Non O visa issued on the basis of marriage to a Thai expired in Sept, my current 90 day stamp expires soon, im not ready to get a new visa and would like to get an extension, is it possible, and how long is the extension ? I heard it was 14 days, but after seeing this thread it looks like 60 days is possible ?

Note: im under 50 and on a Non O (not a Non O-A).

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, taxin said:

I heard it was 14 days, but after seeing this thread it looks like 60 days is possible ?

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

It does not matter what visa you used for entry. It can even be applied for to extend a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks UJ, I vowed to myself that I would never do extensions of stay again, is the 60 day extension straight forward, or is it the same hassle as the 1 year extension of stay, i.e. 2 trips to the immigration office, bank statements, photos of inside/outside my house, etc, etc ?

6 minutes ago, taxin said:

Thanks UJ, I vowed to myself that I would never do extensions of stay again, is the 60 day extension straight forward, or is it the same hassle as the 1 year extension of stay, i.e. 2 trips to the immigration office, bank statements, photos of inside/outside my house, etc, etc ?

No problem to get one. It is done while your wait.

You wife needs to be with you when your apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. Proof of residence for where your living to you live where the office is located.

You wife must be with you when you apply for the extension.
Best to have the original marriage certificate with you in case they want to see it. A copy is also needed.
You will need proof of residence to prove you are living where the office is located unless living where your wife's house book registry is for.

Is a marriage license issued in the US accepted? Does it need to be translated into Thai? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Is a marriage license issued in the US accepted? Does it need to be translated into Thai?

Immigration will accept a US marriage certificate for the 60 day extension. No need to translate it since it is in English.

For a one year extension based upon marriage you have to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not matter what visa you used for entry. It can even be applied for to extend a visa exempt entry.

Hi one question,I'm on extension of stay (retirement).This ends on Nov30th,I want to change to marriage extension,but in December I need to travel and would like to get 60 days extension for visiting my wife,and after that get a one year extension based on married with a Thai.Is that possible?

10 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Hi one question,I'm on extension of stay (retirement).This ends on Nov30th,I want to change to marriage extension,but in December I need to travel and would like to get 60 days extension for visiting my wife,and after that get a one year extension based on married with a Thai.Is that possible?

Yes it is possible.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

Ubon Joe. 

You recently responded to my query about wife's ID card name change for the Non-O One Year based on marriage.

There was another part to my post highlighting the fact that I'll only have about a week or less to get the marriage done after obtaining the authorised documents from the MOFA before my SETV extension expires.

I was thinking about using an agent to avoid having to go out and return with either a new SETV or a visa exempt, then having to go out yet again - to Savannakhet - for the Non-O.

A 60 day extension to visit wife was suggested by one member as a way out in response to this predicament.

This produced a sharp difference of opinion between a couple of members, one posting that an extension to visit wife was out of the question if already on an SETV extension, whilst another contributor vehemently stated the opposite.

I wonder if you have any thoughts or definite info?

To be clear, I've just extended my SETV - usual 30 days extension.

One says I can't get a further extension - for visiting wife, - as I'm already on an extension.

Another says I definitely can.

I could of course go into CW and ask - though it takes between 2 and 2 & half hours each way from Nong Chok / Lat Krabang where we live.... it's not a case of 'just pop in' !

1 minute ago, raysunshineray said:

I'll only have about a week or less to get the marriage done after obtaining the authorised documents from the MOFA before my SETV extension expires.

I can calculate this because I'm waiting for my UK Embassy appointment which is on the 7th November...

.... in explanation...

7 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

One says I can't get a further extension - for visiting wife, - as I'm already on an extension.

Another says I definitely can.

I could of course go into CW and ask - though it takes between 2 and 2 & half hours each way from Nong Chok / Lat Krabang where we live.... it's not a case of 'just pop in' !

Chaeng Wattana immigration has issued the 60 day extension of a tourist visa and visa exempt entry after the 30 day extension of them were issued.. More than one report about it.

The 2 extensions are not the same category is the reason they will issue them. The 60 day extension is issued due to being married to a Thai or the parent of one. A 30 day extension is issued for touristic purposes and the 60 day extension is issued to visit a family member that is Thai.

20 minutes ago, KeeperRik said:

If I come on a 30 day tourist visa, how many times a year Can I get this 60 day extension to visit my wife!

You can get one for every entry.

The only restriction on getting one is once per entry.

• 3 years later...

Just as an FYI, we went to get the 60 day extension for my visa exempt entry.  These are not done at CW anymore and they sent us to IT Square, Lak Si.    Got over there and huge hassle with the gal that checks people in. She told us the marriage cert needs translation and authentication of the marriage cert from US Embassy.  The US Embassy Thailand website clearly states they will not provide this service.  They state that this must be done in the US with the Dept of State.  

Immigration at IT Square allows you to make online appts so I booked an appt. In two days with hopefully a smarter person.   Will report back what happens.   

Edited by madisongy
Error
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, madisongy said:

Just as an FYI, we went to get the 60 day extension for my visa exempt entry.

Hopefully you will get some advice to proceed with 60 day extension requirements.

Since you are located in Bangkok a border bounce is a possibility for a 45 day visa exempt entry.

Realize messy option but a return flight to Udon Thani and bounce to friendship bridge is fall back option. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana immigration has issued the 60 day extension of a tourist visa and visa exempt entry after the 30 day extension of them were issued.. More than one report about it.

The 2 extensions are not the same category is the reason they will issue them. The 60 day extension is issued due to being married to a Thai or the parent of one. A 30 day extension is issued for touristic purposes and the 60 day extension is issued to visit a family member that is Thai.

I can confirm that is right.  In 2022/23 I did:

1.  Single entry tourist visa (60 days)

2.  Extension to tourist visa (30 days)

3.  Extension to visit Thai wife (60 days)

12 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

You could have also entered visa exempt + 30 day extension+ 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Did not require tourist visa entry. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, DrJack54 said:

You could have entered visa exempt + 30 day extension+ 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Did not require tourist visa entry. 

I chose to get a visa not for the extra fifteen days but because I had two years worth of covid extensions in my passport. 

My thinking was that there is a greater presumption to admit someone with a visa than without.

17 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Jungle, can you tell me if you entered on a tourist visa, or did you enter on a visa exemption?    I’m from US so we enter on 45 day exemption currently.

Second, can you provide details on that 60 day extension?    Is your marraige cert from outside of Thailand, and if so, did they require a translation and authentication from your govt?   Did you have to submit a Khor Ror 22, which is the Thai Registration of Family Status ?

Thanks

Just now, madisongy said:

Jungle, can you tell me if you entered on a tourist visa, or did you enter on a visa exemption?    I’m from US so we enter on 45 day exemption currently.

Second, can you provide details on that 60 day extension?    Is your marraige cert from outside of Thailand, and if so, did they require a translation and authentication from your govt?   Did you have to submit a Khor Ror 22, which is the Thai Registration of Family Status ?

Thanks

1.  I entered on a tourist visa.

2.  I married outside of Thailand and no KR 22 was required for the 60 day extension.  No translation and certification of marriage certificate required for this extension.

8 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

1.  I entered on a tourist visa.

2.  I married outside of Thailand and no KR 22 was required for the 60 day extension.  No translation and certification of marriage certificate required for this extension.

Thanks for that…..sounds like a got a huge run around today.  You got the magic touch.

14 hours ago, madisongy said:

Just as an FYI, we went to get the 60 day extension for my visa exempt entry.  These are not done at CW anymore and they sent us to IT Square, Lak Si.    Got over there and huge hassle with the gal that checks people in. She told us the marriage cert needs translation and authentication of the marriage cert from US Embassy.  The US Embassy Thailand website clearly states they will not provide this service.  They state that this must be done in the US with the Dept of State.  

Immigration at IT Square allows you to make online appts so I booked an appt. In two days with hopefully a smarter person.   Will report back what happens.   

I replied to another post about your marriage certificate certification at the embassy. You can do a affidavit as a self certification of it there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Figured I would provide an updated scenario for this thread, since I used the information here in attempt to get the 60 day extension based on marriage.  I spent about 10 hours over the past couple of days with immigration in Bangkok (IT Square), trying to get them to accept my US marriage certificate.   Today I spoke with four different people, including the manager of the department.  They indicated while translation is not required, they were absolutely adamant on certification from the US Embassy in Bangkok.   They provided the Thai regulations (link below), which are consistent with what they told me......certification of the marriage cert by Embassy is required, with no mention regarding translation.

I explained to them that the US Embassy in Bangkok specifically details on their website that they WON'T authenticate or certify marriage certificates and that you must have that done by the Dept of State in the US.   I asked the manager if that would be acceptable, and she said "it must be done in Thailand".  The document she showed me clearly states the certification must be done by the "Embassy".  Five different immigration officials told us to go get it certified at the US Embassy....so it seems they all think that can be done.

So after investing a bunch of time on this issue, it seems that if you literally interpret what the Thai rules and US Embassy website says, it's not possible for a US citizen, married to a Thai, to get the 60 day extension.  Of course, that's not right as US citizens here have indicated that they have rec'd a 60 day extension, and one guy who posted said he got his 60 day extension this year....no translation, no certification.  It seems that even if you followed the Thai rules to the letter, it's still up to the way in which the person you are speaking with interprets the rules.

So....in spite of what I'm reading on the US Embassy website, I did go ahead and make an appointment with them, so I'll see what they can do, if anything.   I figure they're going to boot me out of there since the website is clear, but I'll report back on what happens.

Here's a link to the US Embassy in Thailand, where it indicates they will not authenticate a marriage cert.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

And here's a link to the document that the manager at Thai immigration provided (number 18, visit spouse):

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/#1610937437663-90b1feab-b48a

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I replied to another post about your marriage certificate certification at the embassy. You can do a affidavit as a self certification of it there.

You're absolutely amazing.   Thanks so much.   Got the appt, so we shall see.

19 hours ago, madisongy said:

Immigration at IT Square allows you to make online appts so I booked an appt. In two days with hopefully a smarter person.  

Your hope for a "smarter person" is futile, unless by that you mean you will smarten up, understand and meet their requirements.

After reading several of your threads, I have no idea why you assumed that you can just walk into a Thai immigration office with a foreign marriage certificate and expect them to accept it at face value. 

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Your hope for a "smarter person" is futile, unless by that you mean you will smarten up, understand and meet their requirements.

After reading several of your threads, I have no idea why you assumed that you can just walk into a Thai immigration office with a foreign marriage certificate and expect them to accept it at face value. 

They accept a foreign marriage certificate for the 60 day extension where I live in the South without additional red tape. 

As just about everybody here knows Thai immigration are inconsistent from one office to another as to their requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can get one for every entry.

The only restriction on getting one is once per entry.

So if I'm an American based in SEA and have a Thai wife ... Each year, on two separate occasions, I can cross a land border into Thailand, get a 30-day visa-exempt, and then extend 60 days?    That's like a combined 180 days each year.   Can do?