RE: Applying for Non 0 based on Marriage before Oct 31

Sorry if this has been already been dealt with at length. If I went to Suwanakhaet, Laos to apply for a Non O based on marriage on Monday Oct. 28th, and was able to pick my passport up on Tuesday and cross the border into Thailand on Tuesday Oct 29th, I would not need insurance. Is that a correct assumption. I have heard otherwise.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Insurance is not required for non-o visas.

It will only be needed for OA visa issued at a Embassy or official consulate on or after October 31st and when using one for entry to the country.

I never had an OA visa so I don't know

Reading these threads there is so much speculation, misinformation and opinion and the requirement seem to change , that by now I am totally confused.  

When getting an OA visa do you need to state a reason. For instance OA for retirement in Thailand , or OA for married to a Thai national?

And if so is medical insurance required for both , or for only OA for retirement reasons?

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I never had an OA visa so I don't know

Reading these threads there is so much speculation, misinformation and opinion and the requirement seem to change , that by now I am totally confused.  

When getting an OA visa do you need to state a reason. For instance OA for retirement in Thailand , or OA for married to a Thai national?

And if so is medical insurance required for both , or for only OA for retirement reasons?

there is NO reason to be stated forget it...... Insurance needed as prev. mentioned here..

glegolo

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A OA visa requires you to be 50 or over to appy. It is intended to be for retirement.

A OA visa for being married to a Thai does not exist.

You seem to be confusing non-o visas with a non-oa visa.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa requires you to be 50 or over to appy. It is intended to be for retirement.

You seem to be confusing non-o visa with a non-oa visa.

Thank you for the above reply, I don't mean to hijack this thread , but you are right , I am confused.

Have being coming to Thailand for 13 years, Married to a Thai national for 10, we live in the US but have build a house in Thailand that we mainly use for vacations,  Always arrived in Thailand on visa exempt, and being in Khon Kaen did visa runs to Nong Khai and over to Laos on day trips. Never had a problem. 

Now things are changing.

Will be 63 in a few months , retiring from work,  and planning to spend more time in Thailand, 

I don't think I will be staying in Thailand for more than 6 months , but that could change.

Should I still arrive on a visa Exempt and get a non-O visa in Thailand ? or should I get an Non-O at my home country Thai embassy which would be a bit of a problem because I live in Florida and my options are New York or Tampa , both not close to me, 

Should I decide to permanently live in Thailand, I will need and extension based on Marriage. Money in the bank is no problem but medical insurance, if required  might become a problem when I get older and cant get insurance. Is medical insurance required for an Extension to stay based on Marriage? 

An answer to the above questions will go a long way towards removing some of my confusion, 

Thanks again for the valuable service you provide to this forum.

My apologies to the OP for briefly hijacking his thread, I promise this is the last question I will ask.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You seem to be confusing non-o visas with a non-oa visa.

Joe, I rarely disagree with anything you say, however, the word "retirement" is never used in relation to the "requirements" for an O-A visa.  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs only identifies a Non Immigrant Visa as a "Long Stay Visa"...But then many websites do put the word retirement in quotes or parenthesis...

Edited by mosan
clarity

Just now, sirineou said:

Thank you for the above reply, I don't mean to hijack this thread , but you are right , I am confused.

Have being coming to Thailand for 13 years, Married to a Thai national for 10, we live in the US but have build a house in Thailand that we mainly use for vacations,  Always arrived in Thailand on visa exempt, and being in Khon Kaen did visa runs to Nong Khai and over to Laos on day trips. Never had a problem. 

Now things are changing.

Will be 63 in a few months , retiring from work,  and planning to spend more time in Thailand, 

I don't think I will be staying in Thailand for more than 6 months , but that could change.

Should I still arrive on a visa Exempt and get a non-O visa in Thailand ? or should I get an Non-O at my home country Thai embassy which would be a bit of a problem because I live in Florida and my options are New York or Tampa , both not close to me, 

Should I decide to permanently live in Thailand, I will need and extension based on Marriage. Money in the bank is no problem but medical insurance, if required  might become a problem when I get older and cant get insurance. Is medical insurance required for an Extension to stay based on Marriage? 

An answer to the above questions will go a long way towards removing some of my confusion, 

Thanks again for the valuable service you provide to this forum.

My apologies to the OP for briefly hijacking his thread, I promise this is the last question I will ask.

Well I live in Florida when in the US and your options are Washington or Miami. You can get the visas through the mail and it only takes a couple of weeks at most. No need to travel to either location. And, as of right now, the Non Immigrant O is probably the way to go as presently (until we find out differently) no health insurance is required...  But, stay tuned.

• Thanks 1