Thai Passport Requirement for Visa to Germany

Hi,

My Thai gf is going to Germany for a school project. Her passport expires in April just less than six months before she will be able to apply for a visa. I have looked on the Internet and seen information that says it can't expire for 3 months or six months for her to be able to get a visa. Anyone know which is correct? Thanks

Since Oct 1st the German Embassy has outsourced this process to VFS Global. This is their reply to my same question.

1. If the applicant stay at Germany not more than 90 days. You are able to apply the visa with VFS, but if the applicant stay at Germany more than 90 days please contact directly to Germany Embassy.

2. The passport should expire not less than 6 months after back from the trip.

8 minutes ago, BrianBkyn said:

Since Oct 1st the German Embassy has outsourced this process to VFS Global. This is their reply to my same question.

1. If the applicant stay at Germany not more than 90 days. You are able to apply the visa with VFS, but if the applicant stay at Germany more than 90 days please contact directly to Germany Embassy.

You might wish to ask VFS to clarify the information given on their website with respect to passport validity:

'VFS said:

its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States.

19 hours ago, theoldgit said:

She will have to comply with the passport validity requirements for the Schengen Area, which require her to have at least three months validity remaining on her passport at the conclusion of her proposed trip to Germany.

Correct. This is what the Schengen rules say:

--

Article 12

Travel document

The applicant shall present a valid travel document satisfying the following criteria:

(a)

its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States. However, in a justified case of emergency, this obligation may be waived;

(b)

it shall contain at least two blank pages;

(c)

it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years.

--

3 hours ago, BrianBkyn said:

VFS is still entirely optioneel under the current Schengen rules. You may chose between VFS (costs you a service fee) or maje an appointment with the embassy (no service fee).  Embassies are obligated to give you this choice untill the new Schengen rules come in effect on the second of February 2020. Then external service providers can be made mandatory,  since 'direct access' will no longer be a right.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32009R0810&from=EN

Archived