South Korea warns of 'serious risk' from vaping, considers sales ban

snoop1130

South Korea warns of 'serious risk' from vaping, considers sales ban

By Sangmi Cha

1245.JPG

A man vapes in Seoul, South Korea, October 23, 2019. REUTERS/Heo Ran

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea on Wednesday advised people to stop using liquid e-cigarettes due to growing health concerns and vowed to speed up an investigation into whether to ban sales, a move likely to hit major producers such as Juul and local tobacco company KT&G.

While long-term health impacts from vaping remain largely unknown, e-cigarettes were viewed as a healthier alternative that could help users quit smoking when they were first launched a few years ago.

But countries around the world have been pulling electronic cigarette products from markets and restricting advertising as vaping faces increased scrutiny.

“The current situation is considered as a serious risk to public health,” South Korea’s health minister Park Neung-hoo told a briefing, citing cases of lung injuries associated with e-cigarette use in the United States.

U.S. health officials have so far reported 33 deaths and 1,479 confirmed and probable cases from a mysterious respiratory illness tied to vaping.

A pneumonia case of a 30-year old South Korean e-cigarette user was reported this month, the health ministry said.

“Children, juveniles, pregnant women, and people with pulmonary diseases, never use liquid e-cigarettes. Non-smokers, too, never use liquid e-cigarettes from now,” Park said.

Park said the government would speed up its own studies to determine if there was a scientific basis to ban sales of liquid e-cigarettes, which vaporize liquid containing nicotine.

A rival technology, which heats but does not burn tobacco, has been authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and has avoided much of the recent regulatory crackdown globally.

REGULATORY CRACKDOWN

South Korea’s health ministry vowed to tighten regulations on vaping products such as strengthening customs procedures for imported liquid of e-cigarettes.

The South Korean office of U.S. e-cigarette maker Juul Labs said in a statement their products had no harmful substances. Juul, 35% owned by Altria Group Inc, began selling its devices in South Korea in May.

KT&G Corp, a South Korean tobacco maker which sells Lil Vapour e-cigarettes, said it would cooperate with the government’s policies after results of the ongoing probe came out.

Since smoking was banned indoors at places like restaurants and cafés in 2015, South Korea become less tolerant of smokers. But e-cigarettes have been gaining popularity in the country’s $16 billion tobacco market since 2017.

E-cigarettes accounted for 13% of South Korea’s tobacco market by sales as of June, according to government data.

South Korea is the world’s No.2 market of heated vape products after Japan, worth $1.7 billion, according to Euromonitor, but liquid e-cigarettes are less popular.

The United States has already announced plans to remove flavoured e-cigarettes from stores, citing alarming growth in teenage use of the products.

India also discontinued the sale of e-cigarettes in September, warning of an “epidemic” among young people.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-23

Ah the tobacco companies really are vamping up their attack on vapping. A handful of deaths World wide that MAY have had vapping as a contributing factor, wow. Question? How many millions die from smocking tobacco or drinking alcohol or driving a car, flying in an aeroplanes? Unbelievable. More people are killed by elephants each year, oh and bee stings in America alone...... 

When are people going to wake up to the day to day brainwashing and spin.

This is because they are losing revenue on tobacco and it looks like more and more will turn away from it.

I have smoked for over 55 years and the medicos tell me my lungs are like a teenagers.  I vape now and actually find it more enjoyable.

This is because they are losing revenue on tobacco and it looks like more and more will turn away from it.
I have smoked for over 55 years and the medicos tell me my lungs are like a teenagers.  I vape now and actually find it more enjoyable.

Maybe you should be the new Marlborough man the :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Ah the tobacco companies really are vamping up their attack on vapping. A handful of deaths World wide that MAY have had vapping as a contributing factor, wow. Question? How many millions die from smocking tobacco or drinking alcohol or driving a car, flying in an aeroplanes? Unbelievable. More people are killed by elephants each year, oh and bee stings in America alone...... 

The tobacco companies are involved in the vaping companies, so your theory is unlikely.

Ever consider the possibility it may be to prevent people from starting vaping? Vaping seems to have good use as a way to quit smoking, although I don't know how effective it is. The problem now is youth is taking it up in stead of starting smoking, and that is an issue.

4 hours ago, car720 said:

25 Things Vaping does to your body

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/25-things-vaping-does-to-your-body/ss-AAIE4Sf?li=BBnb7Kz

Why do you feel you need to keep inhaling nicotine ? Addicted ? I can see people switching to vaping to slowly wean themselves off cigs but by cutting down on the amount of nicotine content you can give up cigs and vaping or inhale non nicotine vapes.

Quite simply, this is about not legalizing yet another killer product. Asbestos was the ducks nuts, till it wasn’t, resulting in a class action. Freon is no good now, etc etc etc... it’s incomprehensible to me that some folk object to planned comprehensive testing of a product before inflicting it onto consumers

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

25 Things Vaping does to your body

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/25-things-vaping-does-to-your-body/ss-AAIE4Sf?li=BBnb7Kz

Why do you feel you need to keep inhaling nicotine ? Addicted ? I can see people switching to vaping to slowly wean themselves off cigs but by cutting down on the amount of nicotine content you can give up cigs and vaping or inhale non nicotine vapes.

Who said anything about nicotine?

To truly understand smokers I recommend reading, "Still life with the Woodpecker."

Also I am not sure that anyone believes anything coming from the above source.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

The tobacco companies are involved in the vaping companies, so your theory is unlikely.

Ever consider the possibility it may be to prevent people from starting vaping? Vaping seems to have good use as a way to quit smoking, although I don't know how effective it is. The problem now is youth is taking it up in stead of starting smoking, and that is an issue.

Nobody is going to like this comment but I believe that the youth can go and do whatever they like.  I know we did.  :cheesy:

34 minutes ago, car720 said:

Nobody is going to like this comment but I believe that the youth can go and do whatever they like.  I know we did.  :cheesy:

Yeah and to this date you can just go to a vending machine in germany and get a pack of cigs and who gives a <deleted> anyway...

2 hours ago, jany123 said:

Quite simply, this is about not legalizing yet another killer product. Asbestos was the ducks nuts, till it wasn’t, resulting in a class action. Freon is no good now, etc etc etc... it’s incomprehensible to me that some folk object to planned comprehensive testing of a product before inflicting it onto consumers

LOL.

sure thats why they just legalized IQOS in Korea and the USA.

Taxes taxes taxes, nothing else, your health is not important to a government, only your money is.

42 minutes ago, car720 said:

If we can keep the youth from smoking/vaping I think it would be a good thing.

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah and to this date you can just go to a vending machine in germany and get a pack of cigs and who gives a <deleted> anyway...

LOL.

sure thats why they just legalized IQOS in Korea and the USA.

Taxes taxes taxes, nothing else, your health is not important to a government, only your money is.

Sure... cynicism is warranted as mans eyes has glistened with lust over precious objects and wealth since time immemorial.

That said; where is a cost benefit ratio to be considered. At some point, the cost will exceed the benefit, and the glistening will turn to tears. 

The cost of healthcare and it’s burden caused by these items, exceeds the taxes, resulting in removing the items from the common market. The risk also needs considering. What will be be future cost if people die from using it? This needs to be considered by leveling excess tax to pay for what-ifs which only partially addresses whatifs.

We don't use asbestos anymore because of the potential oncosts in palliative care, not because it doesn’t work, because it does, often more effectively than the replacement product. 

What-ifs are best addressed by banning the product, if you truly believe that it’s all about the benjamins.

Sure... cynicism is warranted as mans eyes has glistened with lust over precious objects and wealth since time immemorial.

That said; where is a cost benefit ratio to be considered. At some point, the cost will exceed the benefit, and the glistening will turn to tears. 

The cost of healthcare and it’s burden caused by these items, exceeds the taxes, resulting in removing the items from the common market. The risk also needs considering. What will be be future cost if people die from using it? This needs to be considered by leveling excess tax to pay for what-ifs which only partially addresses whatifs.

We don't use asbestos anymore because of the potential oncosts in palliative care, not because it doesn’t work, because it does, often more effectively than the replacement product. 

What-ifs are best addressed by banning the product, if you truly believe that it’s all about the benjamins.
no one ever died from nicotine vaping.
it saves lifes. research is out in less corrupt countries like the UK, Germany, New Zealand...

not banning tobacco and alcohol but a less dangerous alternative while even approving easily taxable new tobacco products a la iqos shows us what it's all about - taxes. and nothing else.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Which tobacco companies are involved?

6 hours ago, car720 said:

You said you have been smoking cigs for 55 years and your lungs look like a teens. Would you say that would hold true for most people?  You may have genetic immunity to tar and nicotine but most people would have seriously damaged lungs with 55 years of smoking

This is what confuses me, Vaping has been around for almost 2  decades, coming up to 17 years.

Yet all over sudden, vaping started to cause lung problems? Is it not safe to assume lack of regulations in regards to juice production is the problem, instead of vaping in general?

Because of 1 case sited in OP, it is now being considered to be banned?

OP states long term impactss are not known, really? 17 years is not long enough to determine what the impacts are?

Then, with each one of this statements, they almost alwats site Juuls, as if Juuls is the only company out there.

Juuls sells pods filled with 2-5 times higher nicotine concentrates than any cigarettes, it does NOT mean everyone vapes Juuls.

I vape ZERO nic or 3 mg Nic and have never touched Juuls.

I have been vaping for almost 4 years, no problems of any kind and i am a chain vaper as well.

Funny thing is IQOS is not same as vaping even though they call it vape, but is NOW legal in Thailand as well, because its owned by the tobacco company paying crazy taxes and notice the price tag 6500 baht on sale.https://www.iqosthailand.shop/product-page/iqos-3-0-new

So Tobacco companies came up with a new plan? attack vaping, ban it so they can sell IQOS for 10 times the price surely not ????

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

no one ever died from nicotine vaping.
it saves lifes. research is out in less corrupt countries like the UK, Germany, New Zealand...

not banning tobacco and alcohol but a less dangerous alternative while even approving easily taxable new tobacco products a la iqos shows us what it's all about - taxes. and nothing else.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Lol... and again, the Marlboro man would have had you believe that smoking was good and safe. History has demonstrated that he was wrong.

there is a significant “risk” that those claiming that vaping is good and safe, are wrong. If they are wrong, what then the cost?

its a risk not worth taking from a financial perspective. It’s a bet best not made. A high risk loan. Banning is the smart move... or at least delaying until there a definitive answers to troubling questions... answers that may change the risk benefit ratio into allowing widespread use... surly that’s the best way to manage the issue

Admittedly, this doesn’t include other benefits beyond taxes. But that’s because your not considering them either, by claiming it’s all about the benjamins. 

1 minute ago, jany123 said:

Lol... and again, the Marlboro man would have had you believe that smoking was good and safe. History has demonstrated that he was wrong.

there is a significant “risk” that those claiming that vaping is good and safe, are wrong. If they are wrong, what then the cost?

its a risk not worth taking from a financial perspective. It’s a bet best not made. A high risk loan. Banning is the smart move... or at least delaying until there a definitive answers to troubling questions... answers that may change the risk benefit ratio into allowing widespread use... surly that’s the best way to manage the issue

Admittedly, this doesn’t include other benefits beyond taxes. But that’s because your not considering them either, by claiming it’s all about the benjamins. 

I did not and do not see anyone claiming vaping was good and safe, what people ARE saying is that vaping is good and safe in comparison to smoking.

Have you noticed the massive quantity of smoke that is often inhaled with vaping? Nobody can convince me that is not unhealthy. 

Frankly, I consider it to be one of the filthiest habits imaginable. Not just vaping. Any kind of tobacco consumption. And to be in the nearby environment of a smoker? No thanks. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Have you noticed the massive quantity of smile that is often inhaled with vaping? Nobody can convince me that is not unhealthy. 

Frankly, I consider it to be one of the filthiest habits imaginable. Not just vaping. Any kind of tobacco consumption. And to be in the nearby environment of a smoker? No thanks. 

Perfect example of clueless, ????

There is ZERO tobacco consumption with vaping

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Have you noticed the massive quantity of smoke that is often inhaled with vaping? Nobody can convince me that is not unhealthy. 

It's not smoke it's vapor. Do you think inhaling let say water vapor is toxic because it looks like smoke? 

When you burn tobacco there is hundreds of chemicals released. With vaping in theory there is only the liquid support (glycerol?), optional nicotine (not toxic) and optionaly some aroma that is inhaled. The temperature of the vapor is also much lower than smoke so more gentle to the lungs. 

I don't smoke nor do I vape but logic tells me that vaping is much safer in theory. The issue might be the quality of the ingredients from unscrupulous manufacturers. 

Many harmful trace metals have also been discovered in ecigarettes. Nickel, chromium, cadium, tin, aluminum, and lead have all been observed and are potential carcinogens, leading to both lung and sinonasal cancer and potentially oral cancer. In fact, it’s possible that higher levels of nicotine are present in the serum of vapers. This in turn increases cancer risks by stimulating nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAchRs).

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/is-vaping-dangerous-what-the-science-shows/

43 minutes ago, BestB said:

I did not and do not see anyone claiming vaping was good and safe, what people ARE saying is that vaping is good and safe in comparison to smoking.

So please suggest a way to only allow vaping to (former) smokers and keep youth away from it.

Just now, stevenl said:

So please suggest a way to only allow vaping to (former) smokers and keep youth away from it.

Why? would you prefer youth picked up smoking instead?

How did it work for you keeping youth away from smoking? or the drugs?or unprotected sex?or underage drinking?

1 hour ago, BestB said:

his is what confuses me, Vaping has been around for almost 2  decades, coming up to 17 years.

Yet all over sudden, vaping started to cause lung problems?

When they add oils into the liquids it can cause lipoid pneumonia, a rare kind of pneumonia which is caused by breathing oil vapour.

They're adding cannabis oil into the liquids...this is why there's been recent problems. The cannabis oil is also 'cut / diluted' with other oils.

Vaping any kind of oil is very dangerous. The proper liquids don't contain any oil, they're based on glycols.

2 hours ago, jany123 said:

The Marlboro man can continue selling his junk and everyone trying to get away has no option now. Great. How does that work out? 

Risk not worth taking? All studies show that the health risk is reduced by vaping. So the risk not worth taking would logically be smoking, and alcohol, and air pollution, but zero is done against that. No financial interests.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yeah whenever i take a shower the watersteam is also killing me slowly. 

31 minutes ago, ukrules said:

When they add oils into the liquids it can cause lipoid pneumonia, a rare kind of pneumonia which is caused by breathing oil vapour.

They're adding cannabis oil into the liquids...this is why there's been recent problems. The cannabis oil is also 'cut / diluted' with other oils.

Vaping any kind of oil is very dangerous. The proper liquids don't contain any oil, they're based on glycols.

yeah exactly, and imagine now they ban all regulated legal stuff and people HAVE to buy blackmarket stuff and will die. They are literally killing people. 

Cannabis vape liquids are also quite harmless if bought in a real dispensary, but due to the heavy taxes they are so expensive that people have to buy blackmarket junk - and die because of that.

Taxed to death - literally.

But hey it's all to protect the children right? We had that before.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”

― Adolf Hitler

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Cannabis vape liquids are also quite harmless if bought in a real dispensary, but due to the heavy taxes they are so expensive that people have to buy blackmarket junk - and die because of that.

Yeah, apparently lipids are removed from the oil by distillation when they're manufactured correctly if they're intended to be vaped.

10 hours ago, Tony125 said:

You said you have been smoking cigs for 55 years and your lungs look like a teens. Would you say that would hold true for most people?  You may have genetic immunity to tar and nicotine but most people would have seriously damaged lungs with 55 years of smoking

I am not a doctor and I am certainly not advocating smoking for newbies but what I am against is the way that most of the plebes are swayed by designer opinion of any type whatsoever.

Archived