Refused entry at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi from London Heathrow with visa - help returning

11 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It does not matter if you have a visa or not, in every country in the world the I/O at the immigration desk at the arrival point has the power to decide if you can enter the country or not. That also includes your home country.

So what is the point of getting a visa, when it can be declared null and void when you arrive at a border? What is the point of getting one? Except it's a money maker for most countries, I suppose. 'We'll sell you a visa but you might find it is entirely useless when you try to use it'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

So the IO should say 'wrong visa' not 'no appropriate means' to enter. Then the Thai embassies should not be issuing visas in first place.

Every country in the world operates the same as Thailand. No Embassy or Consulate has a link to the Immigration computers of their home country. The Embassies and the Consulates can only approve the visa applications on the information that is provided by the applicant. But the countries immigration has the final say when you arrive at the entry point of the country and that is not restricted to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is something that really p*sses me off. Immigration come up with a figure that aliens must show in a bank, 400,000 or 800,000 while many, including me with our own house, can live on far, far less. In my case around 20,000 with all home comforts - aircon, car, tv and internet. It's ridiculous and entirely discriminatory.

The 800K for retirement visas is set high to limit numbers. Call it discrimination if you like.

The 400K for a family based visa only equates to 33K pm which isn't unreasonable if you are supporting a family.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Timwin said:

This is so laughable. The flight ticket from UK to Thailand costs more than the average junior immigration official starting salary or is close to it. Average Thai salary is only about 16000 Baht. So if the officials are able to live here how come tourists flying from Europe could not?! You could live easily with less than $300 per month in Thailand. 

For that money, you are not living with good plumbing, space and no rodents

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

You weren't denied for not having money (min 20K baht). You were denied under section 12.2 because you don't have the appropriate means to live long term in the country.

Yes, it will be on your record. Entering with a Non-Immigrant visa helps and it's unlikely you'll be denied entry using that visa, but they aren't stupid and may still question you about your time in the country.

"You were denied under section 12.2 because you don't have the appropriate means to live long term in the country."

What are you talking about? A 60 days tourist visa from London is not considered a "long term" stay. And he had the money and they didn't ask for them. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"You were denied under section 12.2 because you don't have the appropriate means to live long term in the country."

What are you talking about? A 60 days tourist visa from London is not considered a "long term" stay. And he had the money and they didn't ask for them. 

He's already stayed 5 months in the country this year alone. A Tourist Visa is not meant for long term stay. Section 12.2 can be used for anyone that has not demonstrated to the Thai authorities that they have the appropriate means to live in the country. 

The 20K requirement is for section 12.9, not 12.2. Even with more than 20K in his pocket he can still be denied under 12.2. To satisfy 12.2 you need the appropriate visa/stay permit where you have demonstrated how you fund your living, such as a job in Thailand, cash in the bank or a foreign income.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elviajero said:

5 months in the country this year alone

Sure he is not a tourist. He is a long term stayer and he shoulc use the appropriate visa.

I am fed up with all the comments blaming immigration for not letting in people with inapropriate visas and a history of scamming the system which is clearly visible in the passport. 

Many people have been spoiled by the lax enforcement of the rules. Now they insist on their right to continue scamming.

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So what is the point of getting a visa, when it can be declared null and void when you arrive at a border? What is the point of getting one? Except it's a money maker for most countries, I suppose. 'We'll sell you a visa but you might find it is entirely useless when you try to use it'.

Two stage approval? Otherwise all sorts will be wandering in and pitching a tent.

Like applying for a bank loan for home improvement back home. The branch manager says yes but head office has the last word.

Like applying for credit for a car purchase here. The salesman says all the boxes are checked but the finance company makes the final decision.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The point is you get a visa for some reason.. such as; working, tourism, education, etc. All visas have purposes. If you are working in thailand you get non-b and likewise. So if you get tourist visa always and try to live in thailand.. well thats not the purpose of tourist visa, simple as that. in this OP case... its obvious hes trying to live in thailand as long as he can in anyway and any trick. Thats the reason why immigration is getting strict. People need to understand that they cannot live in any country depending on tourist visa... thats all

You might ask why embassy give visa. that would be more proper question. Answer is probably, getting a visa from embassy means you have the right to get a visa and using it. Now, on the other hand the immigration at the border has the full right to check your visa history and let you in or not. I might be wrong about this getting a visa embassy thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Immigration officers have the right to reject anyone suspected of not abiding by the rules. These are, for example, people with tourist visas, who have been staying in the country for tourists for an unusually long time, or too often.

Such a rule doesn't exist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Did you read the OP?

21 hours ago, hughglo9 said:

My passport had in it 3 older tourist visas,  one from 2018 and two for 2019 May until September. I left 5 weeks ago.

Using 3 tourist visas, the  OP has been living 'long term' in Thailand since 2018. A tourist visa is not a 'long term' visa.

I think I have explained this money trap a dozen times before so just for you, I'll do it again but please make sure you have your Thai logic cap on, OK? Ready?

The IO's don't ask to see the money.

If the suspect visa abuser says, "But I have the money," they are ignored by the IO's.

When the money is waived about and/or placed on the table, the IO's don't touch it, avert their eyes and refuse to acknowledge it.

In this way they didn't see it therefore it doesn't exist. It simply never existed. Busted by the 12.2 statute.

Then there have been those who in desperation tell the IO's that they have apartments, cars, bank accounts and girlfriends.... just like tourists everywhere.

Buh-bye.

• Like 1

Try telling any government that, particularly in the current anti-immigrant climate. Border controls ALWAYS top Embassies and Consulates in foreign countries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

Every IO in every country has that right, including the UK.

Where is this written, in the "world law"? Or maybe an eleventh commandment?

This here is Thailand, not the UK. According to Thai law an IO can deny a person only for specific reasons defined in this law.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This here is Thailand, not the UK. According to Thai law an IO can deny a person only for specific reasons defined in this law.

Which they follow precisely, right, which is why nobody ever has a problem trying to enter the country.....in your dreams!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

And the reason in this instance is 12.2 which is 'insufficient funds for long stay' while entering on a tourist visa which isn't a long stay visa.

What's so hard to understand here?

• Haha 1