visa run still possible

i have 2 month visa with 1 month extra, but they told me i have to fly out to get another month....is that true?

where to fly the cheapest?

i think i have single entry visa.....i used to have multiple entry visa and after 1 month i just tgo to immigration to get another month...why they changed that now?

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, parafareno said:

i have 2 month visa with 1 month extra

Either you must have a visa for 60 days that you can extend another 30 days at an immigration office without leaving the country, or you will already have 2 exempt entries by land, and that´s why they tell you the third must by done by air.

• Like 2

OP your not getting advice because your op does not make sense. Only guessing but you saying they told you to fly out to reenter to obtain another 30 days sounds like you have used visa exempt entries. Only allowed 2 per calendar year at border crossing. I'm only guessing but sounds like you don't even have a visa

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, parafareno said:

i have 2 month visa with 1 month extra, but they told me i have to fly out to get another month....is that true?

where to fly the cheapest?

i think i have single entry visa.....i used to have multiple entry visa and after 1 month i just tgo to immigration to get another month...why they changed that now?

At first you said you have a 2 month visa with one month extra, which sounds like a single entry tourist visa entry plus extension.

Then you said in the past you got one month plus an extension of one month. That sounds more like  a visa exempt entry.

somewhat confusing since you say the second was a multiple entry tourist visa.

As someone else said, it doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, parafareno said:

come on guys....i was thinking to fly to cambodia and immediately return, will i be granted another month?

To be clear did you enter on a SETV? If so your entry grants you 60 days with the option to do a 30 day extension @immigration anywhere within Thailand. So I'm confused as to why the IO would say you have to fly back out. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, parafareno said:

come on guys....i was thinking to fly to cambodia and immediately return, will i be granted another month?

On a separate note, I don't think that they allow you to fly in and out to Cambodia on the same day without an overnight stay.

At least that is the procedure with Air Asia when people try to do that via Siem Reap.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

On a separate note, I don't think that they allow you to fly in and out to Cambodia on the same day without an overnight stay.

At least that is the procedure with Air Asia when people try to do that via Siem Reap.

You cannot fly in and out of Siem Reap the same day. You are allowed a same day departure from Phmom Penh. Not very logical, but those are the rules.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, parafareno said:

As I understand it, you have spent significant time in Thailand on tourist entries. It is unclear the extent to which this has been with a visa, and the extent to which it has been visa exempt.

Regardless, if you fly out of Thailand, returning immediately or almost immediately for a 30-day visa exempt entry, whether you will be stamped into Thailand is at the discretion of the immigration official. Entering at Don Muang from Cambodia, it is quite likely that you will be denied entry, and returned either to Cambodia or your home country.

If returning to Thailand is important, plan to go to a consulate where you can apply for a tourist visa, and enter Thailand by land with your visa. We need exact information on your history of tourist visas to advise you on the best place to go for the visa. Do not use Cambodia.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:53 PM, parafareno said:

Parafareno, you need to be more clear in order to get meaningful response.
- Which is the type of Visa you presently have, and what is its validity date?  Or are you in Thailand on visa exempt and/or extension?

- What is your history of visiting Thailand over the last 2 years?  Visas, visa exempts, number of land-border crossings including dates/time spent.

- What are your plans for returning to Thailand? How long do you intend to stay after returning? 

Only then, will TVF members be able to give concrete answers without having to make guesses.

• Like 1

how to see what kind of visa i have?

It is just  stamp in my passport and a page...

i applied for tourist visa, single entry, so i got 2 months....

at airport the woman told me if I want extra 1 month i have to fly out of thailand and come back.....

I have not been in thailand for over 7 years now....so not thai stamps inside....

i used to apply for multiple visa, 7 years ago...so I stayed like 9 month...

first i extended at office in bankok not going to cambodia.....for 1 month.....after staying here for 2 months

then after i staye for 3 months, i had to travel to cambodia via bus so i got 2 months....then i extended for another month....and after i stayed 6 months i went to laos to get another 2 months.......

but now i wanted to stay only 3 months max....this time...so i applied for single entry...which i thought i can exntene at immigration office in bangkok....so i can stay total 3 months....

but the lady told me after 2 months you fly out and come back to get another month.....

so i am confused now....

Edited by parafareno
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

The lady told you wrong , many IO's at the counters barely understand spoken or written english and understand visa rules even less .

You can get 30 day extension at immigration office quite easily .

Do be aware you will need TM30 to get an extension of 30 days.

If you do not know what TM30 is research it .

If the extension seems difficult just do a land border visa run if not done 2 already within the year .

Don't worry but educate yourself as many rule changes recently so not same as your previous experience in thailand .

If arriving and going for a non exempt 30 stamp in bkk would I too need this TM30 for a extension?

And whats this about insurance req?  I'f I'm coming for a 120 day stay is this something I need as well?

Tnx

29 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

If arriving and going for a non exempt 30 stamp in bkk would I too need this TM30 for a extension?

A TM30 is not requested when entering Thailand, whether by land or by air. If you need any kind of extension from an immigration office, and you are not staying in a hotel, you need to understand the TM30, and ensure the notification has been done.

29 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

And whats this about insurance req?  I'f I'm coming for a 120 day stay is this something I need as well?

There is no insurance requirement for tourist entries (or most other arrivals) but travel insurance is a good idea, independent of the regulations.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

so the tm30 was files by my hotel? I did not file anything........

it says you need to do tm30 in 24 hours you arrive to thailand....but i did not know that...so what to do now?

the hotel took my paassport for few minutes and obviously they filed....they always do that.....before 7 years ago they do same same

Edited by parafareno

3 hours ago, parafareno said:

it says you need to do tm30 in 24 hours you arrive to thailand....but i did not know that...so what to do now?

It is within 24 hours of arriving at a residence that you should be reported. It is not from arrival in the country.

3 hours ago, parafareno said:

the hotel took my paassport for few minutes and obviously they filed....they always do that.....before 7 years ago they do same same

I am sure they reported your arrival. You really have nothing to worry about.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

A TM30 is not requested when entering Thailand, whether by land or by air. If you need any kind of extension from an immigration office, and you are not staying in a hotel, you need to understand the TM30, and ensure the notification has been done.

There is no insurance requirement for tourist entries (or most other arrivals) but travel insurance is a good idea, independent of the regulations.

Thanks BT..or Cheers Mate!

12 hours ago, BuckBee said:

The lady told you wrong , many IO's at the counters barely understand spoken or written english and understand visa rules even less .

You can get 30 day extension at immigration office quite easily .

Do be aware you will need TM30 to get an extension of 30 days.

If you do not know what TM30 is research it .

If the extension seems difficult just do a land border visa run if not done 2 already within the year .

Don't worry but educate yourself as many rule changes recently so not same as your previous experience in thailand .

BuckBee's post is fully correct.

With an SETV you can stay 60 days in Thailand.  If you want to stay 1 month longer, you can either do a border-run and re-enter on visa-exempt for 30 days, or you can go to an immigration office and apply for a 30 day extension.

Since you haven't been to Thailand for 7 years, the maximum of 2 land-border crossings per year, will not be a problem if you go for the border-run option to extend your stay.

When you opt to apply for an extension of your stay at an immigration office, they will normally check if a current TM30 has been filed.  When you are staying at a Hotel that asked for your passport, the Hotel will have done that for you - so no worries.  If on the moment you are applying for extension of stay at your provincial immigration office you are staying at friends place or at your girlfriend's house, they should register their place and file your TM30.  If that's too much of a hassle, you can also simply check-in at a hotel the night before you apply for your extension of stay, and check-out after the extension has been granted.
It's possible that the Immigration Office will not bother about TM30, as every provincial IO has somewhat different rules whether they enforce TM30 compliance for tourist extension of stay or not. 

Note: When you apply for an extension of stay you do not need to wait till last day of your 60 days to do it, because the 30-day extension will start from the last day of your visa-validity.

Edited by Peter Denis

i will go just to immigration office and pay 2000 bht?

border run with bus to cambodia will get me 1 month, or 14 days?

the young lady at airport just messed me up with all the wrong information...

obviously the things havent change, and you do exactly the same thing as before 7 years ago....

Edited by parafareno

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

BuckBee's post is fully correct.

With an SETV you can stay 60 days in Thailand.  If you want to stay 1 month longer, you can either do a border-run and re-enter on visa-exempt for 30 days, or you can go to an immigration office and apply for a 30 day extension.

Since you haven't been to Thailand for 7 years, the maximum of 2 land-border crossings per year, will not be a problem if you go for the border-run option to extend your stay.

When you opt to apply for an extension of your stay at an immigration office, they will normally check if a current TM30 has been filed.  When you are staying at a Hotel that asked for your passport, the Hotel will have done that for you - so no worries.  If on the moment you are applying for extension of stay at your provincial immigration office you are staying at friends place or at your girlfriend's house, they should register their place and file your TM30.  If that's too much of a hassle, you can also simply check-in at a hotel the night before you apply for your extension of stay, and check-out after the extension has been granted.
It's possible that the Immigration Office will not bother about TM30, as every provincial IO has somewhat different rules whether they enforce TM30 compliance for tourist extension of stay or not. 

Note: When you apply for an extension of stay you do not need to wait till last day of your 60 days to do it, because the 30-day extension will start from the last day of your visa-validity.

"BuckBee's post is fully correct."

Really? He wrote:

"many rule changes recently so not same as your previous experience in Thailand."

Which rule changes recently? The last official rule change is the 2 land crossings per calendar year limit starting 2017. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i will go just to immigration office and pay 2000 bht?

border run with bus to cambodia will get me 1 month, or 14 days?

the young lady at airport just messed me up with all the wrong information...

obviously the things havent change, and you do exactly the same thing as before 7 years ago....

An extension cost 1900 baht at immigration. You get 30 days when crossing the border from Cambodia. The only "recently" changed rule is the 2 landcrossings per calendar year limit. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"BuckBee's post is fully correct."

Really? He wrote:

"many rule changes recently so not same as your previous experience in Thailand."

Which rule changes recently? The last official rule change is the 2 land crossings per calendar year limit starting 2017. 

Since you obviously like to put 'salt on every snail', I will return the service.

OP Paraferno wrote that he has not been in Thailand for 7 years.

Since 2012 some things of relevance for his situation - the 2 land crossings per calendar year limit - have indeed changed, as you indicate yourself.

So yes, BuckBee's post is fully correct.

There are many changes since OP last was in thailand, he needs do his own due diligence and act accordingly to make process simple and workable for him .

official rules mean sweat FA, rules/enforcement of the day at different borders/cunsulates are what count and you got keep up if want minimal hassle on your vacation time .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuckBee said:

There are many changes since OP last was in thailand, he needs do his own due diligence and act accordingly to make process simple and workable for him .

official rules mean sweat FA, rules/enforcement of the day at different borders/cunsulates are what count and you got keep up if want minimal hassle on your vacation time .

The official changes in rules are not many, even if you go back years. What happens at the borders, especially land crossings are not official changes and are not easy to anticipate or keep up with. Immigration are just fed up with people with endless visa runs to neighbouring countries. If you show up with a proper visa from your home country and have no strange earlier history,there will be no problem. 

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The official changes in rules are not many, even if you go back years. What happens at the borders, especially land crossings are not official changes and are not easy to anticipate or keep up with. Immigration are just fed up with people with endless visa runs to neighbouring countries. If you show up with a proper visa from your home country and have no strange earlier history,there will be no problem. 

there will be little chance of problems if he do his due diligence and get up to speed on current  rule implementation  .

Official rules mean sweet FA, follow rules or quoting the rules don't work here you got follow/work with the current implementation of rules and use due diligence to give yourself less ballache with cranky officials .

They had tm30 and onward flight rules for decades but I never needed it  in my last 20yrs, turn up at an immigration counter or local office just thinking official rules same so all same same happy days and you in for a big shock lol .
Regional consulate also changed massively too to point of being almost useless even for pretty genuine tourist/leisure use .

Lots of things changed since OP last here from importance of onward travel proof and monetary fund requirement, tm30 regulation, 3 visa exempt system flag in 12month period, 2 visa exempt at land borders in 1 year. 
You can get a lot more questions or be asked for onward flight even if no frequent/current history at the airports as they targeting single male western travellers mainly .

Funny thing is you would get impression don't like longer term tourism leisure stayers but you turn up at immigration for 30 day extension of stay for multiple times and they take your 1900 baht and give very little grief if TM30 in place .

Problem is they happy with it for more than 2 decades and to be honest it incredibly easy make system better/less abusable than current mess of rules and poorly trained staff .

Edited by BuckBee