Appeal for blood as National Blood Centre stocks run low

webfact

Appeal for blood as National Blood Centre stocks run low

bd.jpg

The National Blood Centre of the Thai Red Cross Society is appealing for blood donations from members of the public as blood reserves run low and fall short of demand.

Professor Dr. Chaivech Nutprayoon, assistant secretary-general of the Thai Red Cross Society and acting director of the National Blood Centre, said today that, since October 1st, blood reserves have diminished due to the decreasing number of donors, while demand blood from hospitals across the country increases.

Normally, the blood centre will receive 2,000-2,500 units of blood a day, but, of late the amount has fallen to an average of 1,500-1,700 units per day. Professor Chaivech said that the shortage is now affecting patients in several hospitals to the extent that, in some cases, doctors have had to postpone surgery due to the inadequate supply of blood, adding that children suffering from thalassemia and haemophilia need regular blood transfusions to survive.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/appeal-for-blood-as-national-blood-centre-stocks-run-low/

thaipbs.jpg

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The National Blood Centre of the Thai Red Cross Society is appealing for blood donations from members of the public as blood reserves run low and fall short of demand.

Guessing they need Thai Blood.

Sorry, we Farangs only have regular, internationally accepted blood types.

A, B, AB and O

Good luck

Maybe one of the brilliant ministers at TAT will think up something.

Maybe something like 

"Thailand Blood Tourism"

Targeting the Chinese and Indians, of course. Or, maybe just the Chinese in the Thais' case since they probably wouldn't prefer Indian blood.

Chinese Blood closer to Thai Blood, more compatible.

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

I will give my blood to forienger for free, but if for a thai 5000 baht. Understand why i say that. Again not a troll post. YES not nice but thats what thry do to us. Goes around comes around. 

I wish I could like this 100 times

When I retired to Thailand at 60 years of age I went to the hospital to donate blood, but they declined my offer I was to old. I had been donating blood 4 times a years since I went 18 and would have liked to continue, but not in Thailand, I did not expect anything in return, in my home country we get something to drink after, that can be water, coffee, a beer or a glass of wine. I was registered as an emergency donor and often they called before the 3 month had went.

To be safe it was not the hospitals rule I tried later more times to donate blood at places where The Red Cross or others were collecting, but I got rejected every time because of my age.

I am 63 and donate regularly in Thailand, both at Bangkok Red Cross and locally if there is a travelling donation facility at a convenient time. There is a restriction for people who lived in UK during the"CJD" scandal. At reaching 60 I was tagged as a Special Donor which seems to mean I get a additional vitamin and iron tabs after donating.

As an A- blood group I have on one occasion driven 600km round trip to donate to another farang in urgent need of blood.

I sincerely hope the posters who have noted that they will not donate NEVER need blood themselves. 

16 minutes ago, GordonP said:

There is a restriction for people who lived in UK during the"CJD" scandal.

An additional blanket ban exists in Thailand for anyone who lived in Europe for more than 5-years.

I used to regularly donate in these travelling donation buses in Bangkok that turn up at company premises and used my staff card for identification.

Once I went to the Bangkok Red Cross Transfusion centre and showed my British passport and all alarm bells went off. I explained to them that I lived in Ireland during the CJD years (as I really did), but they were not having any of this; they showed me written regulation in English and Thai that stated anyone who 'had lived in Europe for more than 5-year' is disqualified. However, the question whether one had lived in Europe and for how long is never asked on the main questionnaire before donating. It was only asked in response to my UK passport and me saying not having lived in there.

I subsequently tried to donate at the travelling donation and didn't even get in. As soon as they knew my donation number, they told me that the system say I am permanently banned from giving blood in Thailand.

6 hours ago, perconrad said:

When I retired to Thailand at 60 years of age I went to the hospital to donate blood, but they declined my offer I was to old. I had been donating blood 4 times a years since I went 18 and would have liked to continue, but not in Thailand, I did not expect anything in return, in my home country we get something to drink after, that can be water, coffee, a beer or a glass of wine. I was registered as an emergency donor and often they called before the 3 month had went.

To be safe it was not the hospitals rule I tried later more times to donate blood at places where The Red Cross or others were collecting, but I got rejected every time because of my age.

I am surprised.

I was a regular blood donor in the UK and I have also been a regular blood donor here in Thailand for the last 20 years.

The local hospital has said that it will take my blood until I am 70 years old. (O neg.)

I still get the call now and then to donate to a foreigner after a nasty bike accident and once after a plane crash at the local airport.

8 hours ago, helloagain said:

I will give my blood to forienger for free, but if for a thai 5000 baht. Understand why i say that. Again not a troll post. YES not nice but thats what thry do to us. Goes around comes around. 

I understand the sentiment here but I am disappointed that some posters would rather make a pointless statement rather than save the life of an innocent person.

The people who need our blood are not the people that implement crazy policies.

I wouldn't give a racist one drop of my dirty, dumb Farang blood. 

Unless they wanted to pay 10x for it what they charge locals. 

And even then, I would try to scam them out of whatever I can, maybe by giving them soi dog blood instead. 

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I understand the sentiment here but I am disappointed that some posters would rather make a pointless statement rather than save the life of an innocent person.

The people who need our blood are not the people that implement crazy policies.

Innocent? 

With respect, this attitude is exactly why we are losing the culture war. 

Farang need to wise up, understand the enemy and stop being so "soft". 

Many of the people who receive your blood wouldn't want it if they knew it came from you.

Many would just as soon spill your blood without second thought if they believed it would benefit them. 

Stop giving to people who hate you. 

12 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am surprised.

I was a regular blood donor in the UK and I have also been a regular blood donor here in Thailand for the last 20 years.

The local hospital has said that it will take my blood until I am 70 years old. (O neg.)

I still get the call now and then to donate to a foreigner after a nasty bike accident and once after a plane crash at the local airport.

That's interesting.

I contacted the Red Cross Society two years ago who told me they couldn't accept blood from anyone over 60 years old.

3 hours ago, GordonP said:

I am 63 and donate regularly in Thailand, both at Bangkok Red Cross and locally if there is a travelling donation facility at a convenient time. There is a restriction for people who lived in UK during the"CJD" scandal. At reaching 60 I was tagged as a Special Donor which seems to mean I get a additional vitamin and iron tabs after donating.

As an A- blood group I have on one occasion driven 600km round trip to donate to another farang in urgent need of blood.

I sincerely hope the posters who have noted that they will not donate NEVER need blood themselves. 

I always donated, I cant anymore because I am on medication but I wish I could.

It not only good for others but it is a good thing for yourself. After a while certain impurities collect in your blood, After you give blood, your body makes new pure blood to replace the donated blood.

It is like an oil change.

Appeal for blood donations as reserves fall

By The Nation

800_96fdba2c5671fad.jpg

The National Blood Centre of the Thai Red Cross Society has appealed for blood donations from the public due to its low reserves even as demand for blood from hospitals nationwide has risen to 2,600-3,000 units per day. The shortage of blood is forcing many patients to postpone surgery.

Dr Chaivej Nuchprayoon, Thai Red Cross Society assistant secretary-general and National Blood Centre acting director, revealed that since October 1 the amount of blood reserves at the National Blood Centre was very low due to the decreasing number of blood donors, while hospitals nationwide were demanding more blood.

“We expect to receive 2,000-2,500 units of blood from donors a day, but we receive only 1,500-1,700 units per day,” he said. “Currently this problem has caused many patients to delay surgery, especially children with blood disorders such as Thalassemia and Hemophilia that require a lot and continuous amount of blood transfusion throughout life.”

“More than 160 hospitals nationwide request 2,600-3,000 units of blood a day, while the National Blood Centre is able to send only 1,600-2,000 units or 60 per cent. As a result, hospitals have to delay surgery for some patients,” he said.

Chaivej said people can donate blood at the National Blood Centre, Thai Red Cross Society; The Blood and Plasma Donations Centre, The Thai Red Cross Health Station No 11 Wiset Niyom, Bangkae; Regional Blood Centres Nationwide; Blood Service Unit and Hua Hin Red Cross Chaloem Phra Kiat Station.

“You can contact the public relations and Blood Donor Recruitment Division, 02256 4300, 02263 9600-99 ext-1101, 1760, 1761 for more information,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377700

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-24

Yes, crazy isn't it ... I turn 60 in 2 months and having just donated that wonderful universal O- blood they crave, I asked The Red Cross nurse if they wanted me to come back in 3 months time, having turned 60.

Yes, they said, but come 4 days before you do ...., oh, and it must be before 10am for a blood test ... and you can't eat after 8pm the evening before, ... and if OK, you can come back later and donate, ... oh, and of course we will have to charge you just 100 baht for the tests.

Sad as it may seem to those desperately waiting for surgery, that's probably my last donation in Thailand.

Archived