Headwinds hit Thailand tourism

webfact

Headwinds hit Thailand tourism

By Xinyi Liang-Pholsena

FT-BKK.jpg

Rising Thai baht has hit the country’s inbound tourism industry

A defiantly strong currency and global economic uncertainty are among the key factors battering Thailand tourism, leading to a tempered outlook among the country’s travel business community stepping into 4Q2019.

The inbound tourism sector is especially feeling the heat from a robust Thai baht, which has risen against major currencies like the British pound, US dollar and Chinese yuan this year, dissuading price-sensitive travellers to the kingdom as the currency conversion rates work against their favour to impact their trip budgeting, say industry stakeholders.

The surging baht has also prevented a full recovery of China, Thailand’s top visitor source market, which has not returned to its dramatic growth figures since the Phuket boat incident last year.

Olivier Berrivin, managing director, international operations – Asia at Best Western Hotels & Resorts, said: “We’re still feeling the drop of Chinese arrivals compared to last year, but the volume is still quite substantial and we expect things to remain stable throughout the upcoming high season. China still represents 58.1 per cent of total international arrivals to Thailand, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and India.”

Full story: https://www.ttgasia.com/2019/10/23/headwinds-hit-thailand-tourism/

ttg.jpg

-- © Copyright TTGG ASIA 2019-10-24

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So these currencies are crucial to the the tourist industry;

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

The inbound tourism sector is especially feeling the heat from a robust Thai baht, which has risen against major currencies like the British pound, US dollar and Chinese yuan this year,

But these nationalities are the ones that come;

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

China still represents 58.1 per cent of total international arrivals to Thailand, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and India.”

So it would seem a good marketing ploy to target those who are not using those currencies that have taken a hit from the strong Baht.  .  .  . . Oh wait a second that might be a very limited target market.

and the stupid redtape for retirees and long stayers i think was left out here. I like many longstayers regularly invite their families over yealry. I would have atleast 3 visits of a week to a month at a time of my family that would hire cars, stay in dancy hotels, etc, etc.. My family will never head back to thailand though becauae they now see the double standards, racism, scams and greed that does not for a nice place to be. Ita fact!!

We will be leaving for good in the near future because the requirements arent realistic anymore forthose that aet families up here so long ago uneer much different circumstances. I e lived in Thails over half my life and feel its been a huge waste.....

"Thailand represents 58.1% of total international tourists".....figures for Chinese arrivals are about 10 million....so in fact then, the true number if tourists is really only about 19 million....this guy may very well be related to Dianne Abbott

While I do think that tourism will be down this high season, it's just starting now, so let's see how things play out. I don't think the boat sinking, one isolated instance, has scared off the Chinese. There may be other factors to that. The global economy certainly is a factor affecting all countries. I have noticed there seem to be more Indians in Hua Hin than in the past, families and of course the wolfpacks. The situation with the Pound Sterling, and the Aussie Dollar certainly aren't helping things. In Hua Hin we get the regular tourists, but we also get a lot of snowbirds that come for the entire winter, especially Scandinavians. Many of that group own houses or condos here as part-time residents, so I think they'll still show up as they have some roots here.

20 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I agree with LoSo above.  When Thai Immigration dissuades each (European/US) expat to seek friendlier shores, they take their family/friends in the mother country with them.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

We saw the writing on the wall back in 2017.

Never seen the reason to have a formal marriage up to that point, but for her to get US residency we did it.

Now she's a US permanent resident, with essentially the same rights as me.

We visit Thailand for a couple of months a year, where I'm just a short stay tourist. No paperwork, no hassle.

The ruling elite are fine with people like me that come to the Kingdom for a few months, drop a few thousand $ and...LEAVE.

Just expect the screws to turn harder under this junta.....sorry I mean democratic administration 

5 hours ago, Is this real said:

It's not the Baht.  Or, the cruise ship sinking. Or, blah, blah, blah.

It's because Thailand is no longer offers attractions wanted by tourists.

Until it understands this, and actually decides to do something about it, tourism will continue to decline as it has since 2015.

Guess you don't see the tourists climbing big buddha on the mountain every day again....myself i've been there thousands of times already and it's awesome.

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I would have at least 3 visits of a week to a month at a time of my family that would hire cars, stay in fancy hotels, etc, etc..

The national airline loses more than that each day!

The idea that tourism will continue to increase by so many percent each year is of course what every government "expects". 

Thai tourism has grown steadily for the last 20 years, but like the stock market, it has its ups and downs.

All the VAT brought in by tourism does not seem to go into improving infrastructure or safety is one reason I think Pattaya is suffering.  Also Chinese and India tour bus groups seems to be the main tourist income in Pattaya, which has resulted in many businesses that are not frequented by those groups suffering.

Seven thousand Chinese go to Koh Larn......

By webfact, Monday at 10:15 AM in Pattaya News

28 minutes ago, nickstav said:

While I do think that tourism will be down this high season, it's just starting now, so let's see how things play out. I don't think the boat sinking, one isolated instance, has scared off the Chinese. There may be other factors to that. The global economy certainly is a factor affecting all countries. I have noticed there seem to be more Indians in Hua Hin than in the past, families and of course the wolfpacks. The situation with the Pound Sterling, and the Aussie Dollar certainly aren't helping things. In Hua Hin we get the regular tourists, but we also get a lot of snowbirds that come for the entire winter, especially Scandinavians. Many of that group own houses or condos here as part-time residents, so I think they'll still show up as they have some roots here.

They must be hammering the marketing in India.

My friend told me Pattaya is heaving with Injuns

16 minutes ago, nickstav said:

In Hua Hin we get the regular tourists, but we also get a lot of snowbirds that come for the entire winter, especially Scandinavians. Many of that group own houses or condos here as part-time residents, so I think they'll still show up as they have some roots here.

There was a post that said Snowbirds in Finland were having SETV applications rejected as if they had previous travel history, they were asking for METV financials, (thousands in the bank for 6months). That could Be some of Them.

Also how many may be on O-A visas??? May put a damper on the trip if they are asked to stump up thousands THB for inappropriate insurance, especially if they have already paid hundreds in home country, for cover already. Can but hope it does not happen!

1 hour ago, Is this real said:

It's not the Baht.  Or, the cruise ship sinking. Or, blah, blah, blah.

It's because Thailand is no longer offers attractions wanted by tourists.

Until it understands this, and actually decides to do something about it, tourism will continue to decline as it has since 2015.

Where do you get figures that show tourism has declined since 2015, it has increased every year for the last 20 years (except 2014). Some tourism from western countries has declined but as the OP says

3 hours ago, webfact said:

China still represents 58.1 per cent of total international arrivals to Thailand, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and India.”

western tourists dont even register as the major tourists.

Interested to know what the attractions are that should be on offer ?

Tourist Arrivals to Thailand from 2003 till 2018

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A defiantly strong currency and global economic uncertainty are among the key factors battering Thailand tourism, leading to a tempered outlook among the country’s travel business community stepping into 4Q2019.

... crime, filth, corruption, cheating and last but not least, the lousy behavior of taxi drivers and van drivers.

9 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

There was a post that said Snowbirds in Finland were having SETV applications rejected as if they had previous travel history, they were asking for METV financials, (thousands in the bank for 6months). That could Be some of Them.

Also how many may be on O-A visas??? May put a damper on the trip if they are asked to stump up thousands THB for inappropriate insurance, especially if they have already paid hundreds in home country, for cover already. Can but hope it does not happen!

This is correct, a lot of people come for only two months but those who have an AO if the new insurance policy comes, many houses will be more on sale in Hua Hin

53 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The problem with Thai tourism, is that it does not breed repeat tourism ! Apart from us expats, you come , you see its pretty dire place for a holiday and go home thinking 'well, not in the next decade'

It used to generate repeat tourism.  Me and my mates came three times a year for decades. But its a bit too expensive now and the flights are long. I dissuade young people,  adventurous people and counter cultural types to avoid the place just as we used to avoid Turkey in hippy trail days. The drug laws are too severe  penal conditions tortous and the authorities dont play the game. Spain and Portugal are cheaper, great food, good drinks,  good weather, liberal laws, great nightlife....just no P4P scene which many people dont want. Thailand is now getting more like an Islamic state, with a powerful elite running the place creating a depressed,  fearful and disenchanted people. Very sad. All the working class and middle class Thais I know despise the military goverment. But its too late now.

10 minutes ago, 30la said:

... crime, filth, corruption, cheating and last but not least, the lousy behavior of taxi drivers and van drivers.

This sounds like the complaint of a green traveller, a westerner inexperienced in the ways of Asia or Africa. Definitely someone who should just stay in safe western family resorts. Me? I was hitch hiking across Afghanistan, Pakistan and India when I was twenty. Thailand is Heavenly Luxury and the easiest place in the world to travel in compared the rough end of the hippy trail....at least it used to be but all the spoilt,  entitled,  square tourist types are spoiling Thailand. Such bores.

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

This sounds like the complaint of a green traveller, a westerner inexperienced in the ways of Asia or Africa. Definitely someone who should just stay in safe western family resorts. Me? I was hitch hiking across Afghanistan, Pakistan and India when I was twenty. Thailand is Heavenly Luxury and the easiest place in the world to travel in compared the rough end of the hippy trail....at least it used to be but all the spoilt,  entitled,  square tourist types are spoiling Thailand. Such bores.

...then enjoy it...

9 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

Have these 'bean counters' ever thought about devaluing the baht??? 

Supply and demand dictates the value of a currency. Governments can do some policy etc to minimally influence a currency but ultimately its the market that decides.

Archived