O visa (Marriage) - Can you do a second (or third) run out of the country?

Hi!

It's been a bit tough to find a straight answer for this topic so here goes. I'm half Thai half French and will be married this month to my soon to be husband who is of French nationality. We will have a Thai/French marriage and register it here in Thailand. He has been here on a tourist visa for about 3 months, and will apply for an O-visa when he has to leave the country with our marriage certificate.

The O-visa from what I gather gives you three months before that you can apply for a 1 year extension without leaving the country. One of the requirements is to have 400k thb sitting in a bank account for 3 months before getting this extension. We won't necessarily be able to gather up that amount of money in that time ???? So my question is, is it possible in that case to re-exit the country and re-apply for another O-visa with the marriage certificate? He can't really risk a tourist visa anymore has he has been living a while here (and I mean, a WHILE) doing visa runs (which they were lax about in the past but are starting to be less lenient about). Also, if that's possible how often can he exit to do the O-visa until we gather sufficient funds for the 1 year extension? I'm trying to assess different scenarios.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming/hoping that not all farangs that get married all have that kind of money sitting around and might have been in this situation too.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and answers! ????

Edited by BKKLukkrung

he can obtain a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa once married from savannakhet laos, ( no financials required) with this visa he will receive a 90 day permission to stay on each entry, on any of these entries in the 1 year period of the visa, he can in the last 30 days apply for a year extension for being married to a Thai national

Edited by steve187

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

he can obtain a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa once married from savannakhet laos, ( no financials required) with this visa he will receive a 90 day permission to stay on each entry, on any of these entries in the 1 year period of the visa, he can in the last 30 days apply for a year extension for being married to a Thai national

So what you're saying is that the O-visa is of one year, and he will have to run out every 90 days if we don't have the financial for a year extension?

And is it possible to re-apply for another O-visa after a year?

Thanks you ????

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day the extension is applied for.

If more time is needed to have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months a 60 day extension can be applied for to visit his wife.

2 minutes ago, BKKLukkrung said:

So what you're saying is that the O-visa is of one year, and he will have to run out every 90 days if we don't have the financial for a year extension?

.It is possible to apply for a single entry or multiple entry non-o visa. A multiple entry non-o visa allows for unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

The one year extension can be applied for during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day the extension is applied for.

If more time is needed to have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months a 60 day extension can be applied for to visit his wife.

.It is possible to apply for a single entry or multiple entry non-o visa. A multiple entry non-o visa allows for unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

The one year extension can be applied for during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries.

And another follow up question, do you have any information regarding the pricing or costs (aside from travel of the visa run) for these visas?

Thanks! ????

3 minutes ago, BKKLukkrung said:

And another follow up question, do you have any information regarding the pricing or costs (aside from travel of the visa run) for these visas?

At the embassy and consulate in Laos it is 2000 baht for a single entry and 5000 baht for a multiple entry visa.

Other locations charge the same fee but it is converted to a local currency. In Vietnam and Cambodia it is $80 US for a single entry or $200 for a multiple entry visa.

• Like 1