Baht to further strengthen, expert warns

webfact

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yinn said:

That at Why is good now we strong, strong baht, strong employment, strong balance.

Sorry, I not understand that.

Pollution?

anyway. All you guy sad because your money weak.

the baht is strong, not weak, so I am happy.

Have you thought about the rice farmers? There are millions of them and with the high Baht it will become nearly impossible to sell Thai rice to foreign countries,  especially the same rice from Vietnam costs only half abroad. Let's not talk about the manipulated employment numbers. They are in the same category as the numbers of traffic deaths or air pollution. 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

strong employment,

You live in a bubble, Ying;
when it will explode and it will be in a short time; make sure to protect yourself ...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1130319-thai-auto-parts-maker-suspends-work-at-one-plant-for-two-months-amid-industry-slump/

Thai airways very close to filing for bankruptcy

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1130045-rice-exports-expected-to-show-shortfall/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1128074-european-tourists-decline-against-strong-baht-competition/

and the chinese  no longer want to feed the small fish in Phuket so they do not come anymore.

Apart from these few trifles, everything is fine at LOS :cheesy:

Is this before or after the government borrows billions to off set the national debt... as announced right here on TV earlier?

Sure the baht will raise a bit. Why not. It has been manipulated to do exactly that. 

Raise the value of the money so as to recoup the losses from the falling Western tourist demographic. Then tax the 400k some need to keep in the bank to hold their visa status as it could be considered 'income'. Wait for that one!

The hypocrisy continues.

14 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Just checked the exchange rate forecast and the dollar is tipped to go as low as 9.3 by Dec 2024 so at that rate no farang could afford to live here . 

Believe me, that can not the Thai’s either. Why worry for something that MIGHT happen 5 years forward in time. The export industry and tourisme sector is already near the limit, wait and see. Things will happen.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai economy is predicted to expand 2.8 per cent for the full year. “The government stimulus packages including the ‘Eat, Shop and Spend’ programme will boost the economy in the final quarter,” he predicted.

Debt Bomb

9 minutes ago, Jano22 said:

Believe me, that can not the Thai’s either. Why worry for something that MIGHT happen 5 years forward in time. The export industry and tourism sector is already near the limit, wait and see. Things will happen.

Funny, everyone was saying tourism was near the top when it hit 25 mill.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

20.6 to 19. So 35,000 per month will be 1600 less.

And you will divorce? For 1,600 baht? 

True love? 

Maybe get a job/work permit?

And if this continues to more price what ???

is there any stopping for strength thai baht !!!

3 hours ago, Cork Soaker said:

get real, that's only enough to survive on.

FYI:
Many Thai families do with 20.000 Baht, two people working, kids in school, Grandma taking care of kids and been taken care of.

1 hour ago, pattayamick said:

Look at it on the bright side. 30 Baht for a dollar is not bad.

when I settled here in the early 1970’s. 1 US$ was 20,30 Baht for many years.

Want to compare what 20 baht could buy you in Thailand in the 1970s with what 20 baht will buy you today?

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Explain, quantify it....just saying it isn't strong is like saying a person is beautiful, it's subjective.

Thailand has MASSIVE problems.

Extremely low productivity, terrible education, low fertility, middle income trap, stubborn cultural preferences that refuse to modernize.

There is only so long that selling rice, assembling equipment and giving HJs to tourist works.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-thailand-baby-bust/

"more than a quarter of Thailand’s people will be over 60 by 2030—and most will be poor. The International Monetary Fund says a shrinking labor force will hold back economic growth by as much as a full percentage point every year for the next two decades."

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand has MASSIVE problems.

Extremely low productivity, terrible education, low fertility, middle income trap, stubborn cultural preferences that refuse to modernize.

There is only so long that selling rice, assembling equipment and giving HJs to tourist works.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-thailand-baby-bust/

"more than a quarter of Thailand’s people will be over 60 by 2030—and most will be poor. The International Monetary Fund says a shrinking labor force will hold back economic growth by as much as a full percentage point every year for the next two decades."

Yes, all entirely valid points. BUT, government debt levels are extremely low, foriegn currency reserves are extremely high, social security is almost non-existent in cost terms and Myanmar provides a huge reservoir of inexpensive labour....low productivity and education can only improve. This is a glass half full or half empty issue, given the above I see it as a glass that is three quarters full.

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

As the Thai baht gains more strength exports and tourism will fall even further and dropping the its rate by just 25 basis points will do nothing for the economy .

It seems destined for the Aussie dollar to drop below todays rate of 20.6 to into the 19s by next year making it impossible for me at least to continue living here and will probably lead to my divorcing my wife and returning to Aus forever , at least back home a dollar is worth a dollar and wont change .

It is so sad that your wife wont go with you back to australia

Just now, saengd said:

Yes, all entirely valid points. BUT, government debt levels are extremely low, foriegn currency reserves are extremely high, social security is almost non-existent in cost terms and Myanmar provides a huge reservoir of inexpensive labour....low productivity and education can only improve. This is a glass half full or half empty issue, given the above I see it as a glass that is three quarters full.

OK, sure. You are positive on the outlook.

I don't care either way: I'm financially stable for more than a lifetime.

If we are still around in 5 years time, let's see how things are going for the Thais.

I remember posting over a year ago on TVF that the dollar would drop to around or below 29 baht. Not many were too accepting of the idea. Could it go lower? With Trump determined to devalue the currency, it's entirely possible. But sooner or later the CPI manipulation will have to give way and when it does, I expect to see 10 to 15 percent annual increases to my social security. I also expect to see my gold stocks and gold holdings take off, with gold hitting at least $5000. Of course, higher gold will only mean paying more for everything else. But it ought to help offset the Thai baht bubble, which itself will burst when the stresses in Thai society make for some fundamental changes in the way people live here.

The printing press is running 24/7 in the USA to the tune of nightly draws equaling 138billion USA dollars of QE to the banks.

worrisome indeed, not just for here but worldwide.

i do not see a good nor timely end to this here or anywhere. 
Better hold on to that Gold you bought and get out of those condos and houses in Bangkok or Hua Hin or anywhere for that matter.

3 hours ago, Brer said:

I don’t know how you can live on that figure, I guess you just eat lettuce, live alone and don’t go anywhere. 

You must be a lucky one to get that amount, the part pension they give me is substantially less.

I budget and review every month there is no way I could live on 38k baht with my wife and we don’t live a decadent life.

I have a wife and we live quite well on that amount, last month three days In Bangkok, airfare, taxis, MBK and IconSiam, now that can be expensive. The following week a short drive to Trang, why, because we had never been there, overnight in a reasonable hotel was 590 baht, petrol ,dinner breakfast and lunch another couple of thousand.

Late September was my birthday so again a drive down to Koh Lanta and lunch at one of the best resorts I have ever been to.

We all have our different priorities, mine is a quiet life debt free and so I own an older Ford Focus, a scooter bought new, a bicycle for exercise, rent a pleasant cottage with a garden and eat out at least twice a week.

I arrived in Thailand to live in 2016 and had a few thousand dollars which bought the car and scooter also did a deal to pre-pay rent which gave me a very reasonable outlay per year so everything is manageable.

I can certainly sympathise with those totally dependent on the pension and the only way I can see out of this problem is using an agent, an awful choice but might be necessary.

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

As the Thai baht gains more strength exports and tourism will fall even further and dropping the its rate by just 25 basis points will do nothing for the economy .

It seems destined for the Aussie dollar to drop below todays rate of 20.6 to into the 19s by next year making it impossible for me at least to continue living here and will probably lead to my divorcing my wife and returning to Aus forever , at least back home a dollar is worth a dollar and wont change .

Bit unfair on your wife, don't you think?  Why wouldn't you do the decent thing and simply take her with you?  Not her fault the baht is where it is.

Archived