Granny who "came back to life" was dead all along, says hospital director

webfact

Granny who "came back to life" was dead all along, says hospital director

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

The director of the Soon Udon Thani Hospital in Thailand's north east  has said that the 70 year old woman who relatives thought had come back to life was dead all along. 

Relatives were shocked when Phinit Sophajorn, 70, opened her eyes and appeared to breathe.

Her husband aged 73 was washing her face in a final ritual before the coffin was sealed for cremation.

The ceremony was cancelled and she was taken home. 

Now it appears Phinit has actually died. 

Hospital director Dr Narong Thadadech said that the patient was transferred from Nong Han Hospital on the 7th of October with a blocked artery leading to the brain and thyroid problems. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

She was given oxygen and placed on a respirator.

By 20th October she was given little chance of recovery and relatives decided to take her home to die.

He said that the woman had died for two or three days but that her eyes may have opened due to a reflex action of certain cells brought on by the cold of a cooling coffin. 

There was no pulse and the body was limp indicating that she had died several days ago. After a 24 period of rigor mortis the body had relaxed. 

He reiterated that people were checked for brain death, heart function and breathing - if these vital signs were not present the patient was dead. 

Doctors usually perform such checks after accidents or sudden death but at home this might be ascertained by relatives. They could always call in doctors for confirmation, he said. 

Source: Siam Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-25

So death certificates are not a thing in Thailand? In most places these have to be signed by a qualified person (doctor) after physically inspecting the body as I understand this, so what happened here? Death certificates are required prior to final funeral arrangements being made from my experience outside of Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

So death certificates are not a thing in Thailand? In most places these have to be signed by a qualified person (doctor) after physically inspecting the body as I understand this, so what happened here? Death certificates are required prior to final funeral arrangements being made from my experience outside of Thailand.

TIT 

In the UK a doctor always had to pronounce life extinct, except in cases like no head.

If someone had no medical treatment within 14 days, was not in hospital, or had died a sudden, violent, or unnatural death, then the coroner could order a PM and an inquest. This is where no doctor was willing to sign a death certificate.

Here, take a vote and buy some lottery tickets!

strange that on facebook they are reporting she is alive and that she was resuscitated by paramedics after her daughter (a doctor) found a week pulse after she opened her eyes and took a few breaths, seems someone has it wrong

(

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

In the UK a doctor always had to pronounce life extinct, except in cases like no head.

If someone had no medical treatment within 14 days, was not in hospital, or had died a sudden, violent, or unnatural death, then the coroner could order a PM and an inquest. This is where no doctor was willing to sign a death certificate.

Here, take a vote and buy some lottery tickets!

So if no head it’s: ok go right ahead then ?

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

shuffled off this mortal coil

"mortal coil" I had never heard this term until two days ago when I got a mail telling me a former colleague had "shuffled of his mortal coil" I thought he had been taken to a "nut house" thinking now I may have got the meaning wrong! :shock1:

9 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Do you really care if there is a death cert.

37 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

So if no brain activity that means they are dead . This is Thailand

Q. Is “brain-dead” the same as dead?

A. Yes. Many people think death happens when the heart stops beating and the lungs stop breathing, but machines can support those functions when the brain no longer can, Tawil says.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20140103/brain-dead-faq#1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, CGW said:

"mortal coil" I had never heard this term until two days ago when I got a mail telling me a former colleague had "shuffled of his mortal coil" I thought he had been taken to a "nut house" thinking now I may have got the meaning wrong! :shock1:

It's from Hamlet, the "To be, or not to be" bit.

. . . To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there’s the respect
That makes calamity of so long life; . . .

Archived