ONCB to deliver 122 kg of seized marijuana for medical research

webfact

ONCB to deliver 122 kg of seized marijuana for medical research

By THE NATION

800_0d38f0b28ceb4b0.jpg?v=1571966301

Niyom Termsrisuk, secretary general at Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) said on Thursday (October 24) that his agency is preparing to deliver 122 kg of seized marijuana in its possession to medical agencies to use in research.

“Of this amount, 119 kg of cannabis will be delivered to the Herbal Research Institute, while 3 kg will go to Bureau of Drug and Narcotics. Both are under the Department of Medical Sciences,” he said. “The cannabis has already been tested for cadmium toxicity and pesticide residue to make sure it is safe for research and consumption.”

Since July of last year, ONCB has delivered more than 1,862 tonnes of seized marijuana to hospitals and research agencies including Chaophraya Abhaibhubejhr Hospital, Phra Ajarn Fan Ajaro Hospital, Department of Medical Sciences, Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine and Chulalongkorn, Kasetsart and Maha Sarakham universities. These agencies have used the marijuana for research and produced at least 800,000 bottles of medical cannabis oil or Cannabidiol (CBD), which is used to treat several diseases including Parkinson’s and Crohn's.

Niyom revealed that research agencies and hospitals have already submitted requests for more than 3 tonnes of seized marijuana from ONCB but added that the marijuana seized from drug operations is usually contaminated with high levels of heavy metal and pesticide. “Marijuana that is not safe will be destroyed according to ONCB’s regulations,” he said.

Related Story: International cannabis conference coming next month

Related Story: First of Decha’s cannabis oil ready for hospital research

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377725

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-25

This is hysterical, I’ve never remotely considered a country would take illegal, moldy, toxic, poor quality bud and turn it around and make “medicine” for profit while still prosecuting people for marijuana.  The hypocrisy is beyond absurd.  It’s also a shame that they are using such an inferior product to conduct medical efficacy testing as the will continue to get poor results until they adopt strains and grow/processing methods already established in the west.

8 minutes ago, Ajvat37 said:

This is hysterical, I’ve never remotely considered a country would take illegal, moldy, toxic, poor quality bud and turn it around and make “medicine” for profit while still prosecuting people for marijuana.  The hypocrisy is beyond absurd.  It’s also a shame that they are using such an inferior product to conduct medical efficacy testing as the will continue to get poor results until they adopt strains and grow/processing methods already established in the west.

yes, the war on drugs effect it still handcuffing the research potential. I can attest there was a time when the quality coming out of this country was superior to the west, but alas that is history.. 

13 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

yes, the war on drugs effect it still handcuffing the research potential. I can attest there was a time when the quality coming out of this country was superior to the west, but alas that is history.. 

Hasn't been so since thaistik became became history 

I thought 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:16 PM, Ajvat37 said:

I've been wondering lately if THC varies in strength from strain to strain as distinct from the concentration of THC from strain to strain?If the THC does not vary in strength then the quality of ganja shouldn't really matter once the THC has been extracted if you get my drift.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:44 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

I thought 

I've been wondering lately if THC varies in strength from strain to strain as distinct from the concentration of THC from strain to strain?If the THC does not vary in strength then the quality of ganja shouldn't really matter once the THC has been extracted if you get my drift.

It does matter, why do you think there are different strains for different symptoms?  Specific ratios of cbd to thc along with the terpenes and other unique combinations of compounds in each strain do provide different effects.  Extracts of thc from one strain will differ in how they affect symptoms than the next strain, and a low % strain is going to mean you have a low % of useable product for the amount your growing = low quality.  Just look at maejo, they have 12,000 plants and only say they will get 2.4 tones which is a horrible yield,and I bet they don’t even come close to that.

Archived