Thailand's soi dogs and cats: 600,000 to be sterilized in the next year

webfact

Thailand's soi dogs and cats: 600,000 to be sterilized in the next year

10pm1.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

The minister for Agriculture and Cooperatives has told the Thai press about increased targets for dealing with the country's stray cats and dogs. 

Thai Rath reported that there are reckoned to be 2.6 million stray dogs in Thailand and one million stray cats. 

Last year 160,445 dogs and 122,400 cats were spayed or sterilized. 

10pm2.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

The target this year is 600,000, said Chalermchai Sri-On.

The minister hopes this will further help to tackle rabies and serve to protect animals from abuse. 

Work is being carried out by the Veterinary Department utilizing government budgets. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-25

They have been sterilising dogs and cats for years now and still they multiply like rabbits or so we were told, so either someone not doing their job properly or the government lied to the people.. i go with the latter with a bit of the formar...

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath reported that there are reckoned to be 2.6 million stray dogs in Thailand and one million stray cats. 

After the spaying and neutering  then they also need rabies shots...and then what about the noise,biting,spreading rubbish all over and the accidents caused from them  running into the road or just lying in the middle of the road...so 600,000 done  can't they just shoot the other 2 million and be done with it ? ( Yes I know the answer ????)

"Thai Rath reported that there are reckoned to be 2.6 million stray dogs in Thailand and one million stray cats. 

Will it make much difference if 600000 are sterilized? Sure - better than nothing but not much more. 

"Last year 160,445 dogs and 122,400 cats were spayed or sterilized. 

Forget it... 

Like bailing out a sinking boat with a cup, while they are doing it many of those dogs will be already pregnant giving birth to un sterilized dogs, also while they are at it hundreds of thousands of dogs will be breeding away to carry on the growing problem. Another failure of critical. or rather non thinking, here.

600 000 sterilized,this leaves 2 million.One million are females and they

will get 10 pups each per year?That is 10 million pups on the streets

out of those 8 million will die for various reasons.

This will leave another million females to carry on,my numbers may be off a bit but

i am sure this is not going to work to control the dog population.

It needs radical action which can be done but nobody wants to solve this it seems.

I wonder what the final bill is each year,people in hospital,people killed by dogs,

a lot of damage and so on.

Dare i even suggest this bill maybe a lot higher then the medical bills from foreigners

needing healthcare and not being able to pay the bill?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The year is almost over already, why not just include the number done so far?

Its like stating on Dec 30 that you plan to lose 3kg of weight this year, and a day later you announce you made it getting congratulation and praise twice....

Wait, i just answered my own question why they not just include the number done so far.

Last year 160,445 dogs and 122,400 cats were spayed or sterilized. 

They want to double the number - that´s a good plan. But by far not enough. 

In the forests in the north are living so many and they hunt every small animal. 

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

I cannot see the dogs being dealt with until the responsibility comes under the umbrella of the TAT. Be done very quickly then.

But then there'd be 15 million dogs and cats to deal with!

19 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No, it is CP. Get them in 7-11 meals !   LOL

Often they sit in front of a 7-Eleven to get cool air.  One day I got bitten by such a 7-Eleven dog. With your great idea they could move further inside to a very cool place in a refrigerator. A win win situation. 

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

That’s one thing I can never get used to in Thailand 

Rogue  packs of dogs roaming the streets 

disgusting

take care of your dog or don’t have one, period!

Totally agree. Takes me back to the 1960's. Have personally been bitten by a dog pack requiring hospital treatment and also suffered a car accident caused by a pack of dogs running into the road. Cyclists seem to be a greatest risk, moto riders also. As a pedestrian you get to know the worst streets and, if you must, can go armed with a sharp stick and a few stones to throw.

4 hours ago, johng said:

After the spaying and neutering  then they also need rabies shots...and then what about the noise,biting,spreading rubbish all over and the accidents caused from them  running into the road or just lying in the middle of the road...so 600,000 done  can't they just shoot the other 2 million and be done with it ? ( Yes I know the answer ????)

Shoot the 2 million together with u will be ace. Whats 1 more to 2 million anyway? 

In some countries it is usually a low caste who executes or "puts out of misery", these rat infested beasts. Thai apparently and I say apparently will not do it, so I guess some of us North Americans have to form a brigade and to the relief of so many, Who chops the bacon? Who prepares the lamb chops. Soi dogs, cats and other crud has to be exterminated.

3 hours ago, johng said:

And Fluffy's dad.

DSCN0395.thumb.JPG.ee55341c4457075a5b39aa1c29737ddf.JPG

One can't kill/euthanize a dog They rather let them suffer and die in pain It would be more humane to euthanize all stray dogs and cats  and make the country a bit safer,,, only a bit we still have to put up with idiotic killer stupid drivers.

Archived