BANGKOK
Nobbie49

Google offline maps

Google allows me to download offline maps of other countries but I am unable to open the downloaded map. Anybody else has the same experience? Gabe the military clowns banned this feature?

• Like 1

If you can't get it to work you might try MapsMe as an alternative.  It's in the Google Play Store.

• Like 1

MapsMe a good option but you may want to take a look at WHAT3WORDS designed by English company and on another note, I did downloaded off line Thai map from Google no problem 

• Like 1

Google allows me to download offline maps of other countries but I am unable to open the downloaded map. Anybody else has the same experience? Gabe the military clowns banned this feature?

My offline maps of Pattaya area look fine and visable under offline maps, but I haven't used as i have unlimited data

• Like 1

OSMAnd (iOS and Android) allows downloading of maps.  (They are OpenStreetMaps maps, not Google Maps) Tons of features, like the ability to change the language used on the map (invaluable when trying to show a local person where you're trying to get to).  The paid app includes unlimited country maps, the free allows for - I think - 5 country maps.

I've repeatedly found OpenStreetMaps to be more accurate the Google's maps.  OSM is crowd sourced (think Wikipedia), while Google's maps are licensed from 3rd parties and sometimes contain roads that don't exist or offer routes that aren't possible.  (Fake roads are one way map makers have historically tracked when competitors copy their maps.)

On 10/29/2019 at 2:24 AM, asiacurious said:

I've repeatedly found OpenStreetMaps to be more accurate the Google's maps. 

So you download the maps and store them in your cell phone?
Can you use the map application offline to show your location and direction of travel like Google maps?

Kind regards

On 10/29/2019 at 1:24 AM, asiacurious said:

OSMAnd (iOS and Android) allows downloading of maps.  (They are OpenStreetMaps maps, not Google Maps) Tons of features, like the ability to change the language used on the map (invaluable when trying to show a local person where you're trying to get to).  The paid app includes unlimited country maps, the free allows for - I think - 5 country maps.

I've repeatedly found OpenStreetMaps to be more accurate the Google's maps.  OSM is crowd sourced (think Wikipedia), while Google's maps are licensed from 3rd parties and sometimes contain roads that don't exist or offer routes that aren't possible.  (Fake roads are one way map makers have historically tracked when competitors copy their maps.)

I just downloaded the app, changed the language to English in settings but the majority of roads in Pattaya are still in Thai, for example Klang, 2nd road, 3rd road, Pattaya Tai. Are they all meant to be English?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

for example Klang, 2nd road, 3rd road, Pattaya Tai.

Just checked on my HERE WeGo app (full Thailand offline map).

It might add confusion that they write:

Pattayklang

Pattayasaisong

Chalermphrakiat

Pattayatai

A mix of Thai/English and using official name of 3rd rd :biggrin:

Place and street names in English transcription are and will always be a muddle.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

the majority of roads in Pattaya are still in Thai, for example Klang, 2nd road, 3rd road, Pattaya Tai.

On Google maps online:

depending on zoom factor I see "S Pattaya Rd" in English or name in Thai script.

Somewhat strange.

Screenshot_20191208-200238_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191208-200255_Maps.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

On Google maps online:

depending on zoom factor I see "S Pattaya Rd" in English or name in Thai script.

Somewhat strange.

Screenshot_20191208-200238_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191208-200255_Maps.jpg

Yes some roads change depending on zoom which is annoying. The other issues are it doesn't include motorcycle navigation so won't avoid roads like the 7. Also when searching it won't have anywhere near as many place names as google. It was worth a look but I've uninstalled. Probably ok if you don't have data