Period Of Separation For Divorce.

dsfbrit

I have been asked how long this is before a divorce can be entered into. I thought it was 2 years, but having googled it just now, I see that some websites (Ie: Sunbelt) says 3 years. The Sunbelt faq page is not dated though. Could someone please confirm this is the current law and 3 years is the separation period.

Thanks very much for you help.

JWRC, thanks for the reply.

The details are:

1. Married in Thailand

2. Married at an amphur

3. Farang husband

4. Thai wife.

5. No children

6. Divorce in Thailand

I think they have been married 10 years.

They live apart, she has gone to live in her village.

The male farang has done nothing to warrant a divorce. The Thai female who is younger probably has a male friend in the village. The male farang does not want a divorce and has not been asked for a divorce, he is just going through the list of reasons for a divorce and believes the only way the Thai wife could ask for a divorce is due to being separated for a number of years.

It was then he asked me how many years she would need to be away before she could request a divorce for that reason.

Is it 2 or 3 years ??

The reason he does not want a divorce is to do with living arrangements mainly - he does not want to move house at the moment.

In 3 years time it would not be an issue. In 2 years it may be a bit more of an issue.

He went to see a lawyer a few months ago to get some general advice, but did not ask this specific question.

If it was an amicable seperation where both parties have agreed then you can sue for divorce after three years. However if one party simply left against the wishes or knowledge of the other party then you can sue for abandonment in which case its a minimum of one year.

If your friend wants further clarification then he is welcome to contact my wife who will be pleased to give her advice, no charge or commitment, just pm me for her contact details.

HL

HappyLarry

Thanks very much for the reply and the kind offer.

I will pass this message onto him. He does not use a computer, so I may be in touch with you some time in the future if he requires some more info.

Thanks again.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:16 PM, dsfbrit said:

JWRC, thanks for the reply.

The details are:

1. Married in Thailand

2. Married at an amphur

3. Farang husband

4. Thai wife.

5. No children

6. Divorce in Thailand

I think they have been married 10 years.

They live apart, she has gone to live in her village.

The male farang has done nothing to warrant a divorce. The Thai female who is younger probably has a male friend in the village. The male farang does not want a divorce and has not been asked for a divorce, he is just going through the list of reasons for a divorce and believes the only way the Thai wife could ask for a divorce is due to being separated for a number of years.

It was then he asked me how many years she would need to be away before she could request a divorce for that reason.

Is it 2 or 3 years ??

The reason he does not want a divorce is to do with living arrangements mainly - he does not want to move house at the moment.

In 3 years time it would not be an issue. In 2 years it may be a bit more of an issue.

He went to see a lawyer a few months ago to get some general advice, but did not ask this specific question.

From what you noted, not taking sides but when you say your friend " has done nothing wrong "  everyone is responsible for something the fact that you are posting to try to help and he going to a lawyer but didn't ask the relevant questions makes me think?

What is unclear when you say he doesn't want to move? that he doesn't want a divorce seems more than meets the eye here? The house was it purchased by him or is he renting?

You leaving a lot of stuff out?

On 10/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, happylarry said:

If it was an amicable seperation where both parties have agreed then you can sue for divorce after three years.

What country are you talking about?

In Thailand there is NO separation period required when it is amicable.

My wife and I decided to get divorced and got divorced a month later.

A separation period is only required when one party refuses, and has to be dealt with in the family court.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What country are you talking about?

In Thailand there is NO separation period required when it is amicable.

My wife and I decided to get divorced and got divorced a month later.

A separation period is only required when one party refuses, and has to be dealt with in the family court.

I can see where you are coming from but please note that I said amicable seperation, not amicable divorce. Meaning when both parties agree to seperate but do not get divorced for one reason or another. Then when one party decides to divorce and the other does not agree then three years is the minimum period to go to court.

Archived