Bandon Hospital extortion

KPG59

Just a little heads-up to Phangan residents/visitors. My (local Thai) wife and I live close to Bandon Hospital, and have used their services several times during the last few years. 2 nights ago my wife had a sudden onset of severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. At 2am I drove her to the hospital. After taking down some basic information and pulling her file, we were sent to an examination room. A few minutes later the pharmacist/cashier walked in and told us the the bill would be at least 13,000Baht! I asked her "for what?". She said "for the doctor and the medicine". I told her that my wife hadn't even seen the doctor yet so nobody even knows what the problem IS, or what medicine might be needed. She just stood there with the famous Thai "1000 yard stare" and offered no further information. My wife, who has a good grasp of English slang, got off of the examining table, said "screw this", and told me to take her home. Her symptoms eased during the night, and as soon as the pharmacy opened we bought the recommended meds (250Baht). My wife is fine now. We will NEVER return to Bandon. I hope our experience was the exception, but I somehow doubt it...

There is no corruption in Thai hospitals...they are closely watched and controlled by the non-corrupt Thai government.

You must have done something wrong...

Just thought I would prepare you for the "Thai never do anything wrong" crowd who post here...

Thanks for the heads-up...????

Once Bandon told me if I stayed overnight it would be at least 30k even the very expensive BKK hospital was 40% less at 18k. People go because it looks cheap but is the most extortionate on the island.

Also half the people I know who actually needed something done at Bandon came out with an infection so not thanks, never again for me either

Bandon (Samui) used to be a low end private hospital at almost same fees as when using a government hospital – and almost so it was in the beginning of my time at Samui – now they charge so high fees that other private hospitals, which might even have higher standards, are same price or perhaps even lower price.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Is there no government hospital?

With free health care for your Thai wife?

Even the 250bht for 'meds' from the local pharmacy sounds unlikely.

Did you make this story up?

OP talks about the island Koh Phangan.

There is a government hospital about 10 kilometers (or less) from Bandon – however, it's been said that...

A lot of people visit Koh Phangan and not discover that there is a government hospital on the island. This is because the hospital is located just north of Thongsala down a road most won’t go down. The other reason is that there are several medical centres in Thongsala and Haad Rin that are more visible and who attract the majority of burn victims and road accident victims.

Full article "Koh Phangan Hospital".

On 10/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Who goes to hospital for a tummy bug after a few hours? Wait one to three days. Why did the Thai wife use bad language? In English? Was she working with the staff to get her hubbies money?

What a totallly cynical, ignorant, and moronic comment. "Hubby", in his former life, was a paramedic with extensive medical training. "Hubby thought it was appropriate to take his wife of 15 years to the hospital, since it was 2am and no pharmacies were open. Wife used "bad language"? "Screw this. Take me home"... Wow! Real vulgar! As for "working with the staff", you must have had some bad experiences with Thai women(probably YOUR fault). I have not. Ever. Get a life, man...

8 minutes ago, KPG59 said:

What a totallly cynical, ignorant, and moronic comment. "Hubby", in his former life, was a paramedic with extensive medical training. "Hubby thought it was appropriate to take his wife of 15 years to the hospital, since it was 2am and no pharmacies were open. Wife used "bad language"? "Screw this. Take me home"... Wow! Real vulgar! As for "working with the staff", you must have had some bad experiences with Thai women(probably YOUR fault). I have not. Ever. Get a life, man...

How about not knowing about the (considerably cheaper and better equipped) Govt facility?

On 10/27/2019 at 6:44 PM, evadgib said:

If the OP & wife didn't realize there's an adequate Govt facility in Tong Sala they cannot have lived there very long. 

The Govt hospital(which is actually NOT in Thong Sala, but a few km North) is the last place we would go, and we've lived here(full time) for 19 years. Any other inane comments?

On 10/27/2019 at 9:26 AM, BritManToo said:

Is there no government hospital?

With free health care for your Thai wife?

Even the 250bht for 'meds' from the local pharmacy sounds unlikely.

Did you make this story up?

The Phangan Govt hospital is not very well equipped. I have no problem with paying for proper care from an Intl hospital, and over the years my wife and I have been very satisfied with the care we have received. Yes, the necessary meds were purchased in Thong Sala for 250Baht (what the hell do you mean by "unlikely"??? That's just a stupid comment.

Lastly, why in the world would I waste my time making up this story? You must lead a very boring life. Stop commenting and go back to your Big Changs....

On 10/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, khunPer said:

Bandon (Samui) used to be a low end private hospital at almost same fees as when using a government hospital – and almost so it was in the beginning of my time at Samui – now they charge so high fees that other private hospitals, which might even have higher standards, are same price or perhaps even lower price.

It is afaik owned by the same guy who owns Bandit Airways and Bandit Hospital..

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, KPG59 said:

The Phangan Govt hospital is not very well equipped. I have no problem with paying for proper care from an Intl hospital, and over the years my wife and I have been very satisfied with the care we have received. Yes, the necessary meds were purchased in Thong Sala for 250Baht (what the hell do you mean by "unlikely"??? That's just a stupid comment.

Lastly, why in the world would I waste my time making up this story? You must lead a very boring life. Stop commenting and go back to your Big Changs....

So what can you buy in a pharmacy clinic whatever that they don't have at the government hospital?

Archived