Trump suspends 40 billion baht worth of duty-free trade for Thailand

rooster59

Trump reinstates duty-free trade for some Ukrainian goods, suspends it for some Thai goods

trump.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump exits Air Force One after returning from South Carolina to Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, U.S., October 25, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday reinstated duty-free trade for certain items from Ukraine, but suspended it with Thailand.

In a presidential proclamation, Trump said he had previously suspended duty-free treatment for certain Ukrainian goods because Ukraine was not adequately protecting intellectual property rights, but he was now lifting the suspension because the country had made progress on that front.

The U.S. Trade Representative’s office said the end to the suspension affected about a third of the $36 million in trade benefits that had originally been removed for Ukraine.

In a separate letter written to U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the president of the Senate, Vice President Mike Pence, Trump said he had suspended duty-free treatment of certain Thai products because the country had not taken steps to “afford workers in Thailand internationally recognized worker rights.”

The USTR’s office said the move amounted to a suspension of $1.3 billion in trade preferences for Thailand under the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program.

The suspension, which goes into effect in six months, will affect about a third of Thailand’s products included in the trade program. Duty-free treatment will be revoked for all Thailand’s seafood exports to the United States over labor issues, the USTR’s office said.

The United States was also opening reviews of its duty-free treatment for certain products from South Africa over intellectual property issues and Azerbaijan over workers’ rights concerns, the USTR’s office said in a statement.

Separate reviews concerning goods from Bolivia, Iraq and Uzbekistan were closed without changes to their treatment, the USTR’s office said.

Reporting by Makini Brice; Editing by Mohammad Zargham and Daniel Wallis

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-26

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's da man.ive been waiting for trump to look at Thailand at its trade practices since the time he was meeting with chan o cha and trump said he couldn't work out why the US had such a trade deficit with Thailand.now he might see the bigger picture and go for it as he has done with China.

come on trump,show them how big your balls really are.????

Monsanto is in German hands now so I am not sure if this has anything to do with the poison they produce which has been banned now in Thailand but it was about time. Why would Thailand enjoy special treatment under the GSP forever? It does hardly anything at all for the majority of regular Thais but only makes the filthy rich richer as Thailand climbed to the No 1 spot in the world for economic inequality between the poor and the rich.

The GSP program was meant to help 3rd world countries into their feet but not to substitute the corrupt super rich!

In cohorts with corrupt politicians - this so called “elites“ have created quasi monopolies reaping in billions pretending to be a poor 3rd world country that needs to be given preferential treatment!

EU should follow soon but their representatives in Thailand are either blind or in such desperate need for business that they pretend to be blind.

Thais have a word for what Thailand represents on the world economic stage - “Phuan-Kin” or “eating friend” who only shows up for the freebies would best describe this despicable behavior on heavily taxing imports while trying to export under preferential treatment status they should have been stripped off long ago and start competing on equal terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Monsanto is in German hands now so I am not sure if this has anything to do with the poison they produce which has been banned now in Thailand but it was about time.

I could see a connection as the US embassy and farm ministry were mentioning imports of soy, wheat, etc. into Thailand would be suspended. Meaning Thailand is probably going to ban the import of products that were treated with glyphosate and the other poisons. Otherwise this would all make no sense.

I could see a connection as the US embassy and farm ministry were mentioning imports of soy, wheat, etc. into Thailand would be suspended. Meaning Thailand is probably going to ban the import of products that were treated with glyphosate and the other poisons. Otherwise this would all make no sense.

Correct but usually policy changes affecting international trade come with a grace period afforded to allow all parties involved the exporter and importer to adjust to the policy changes in a timely manner.

Current crops can not be included into the ban as this would be unfair without a timely warning that would allow growers and exporters to adjust to the new policy - unless a product is considered so dangerous that it would banned immediatetly world wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Dont agree with Trump on much but when it comes to stuff like this I am behind him.

Would there be a little or a lot of Machiavelli in Donald Trump?

Will he wait for the baht to collapse to give the green light to the arms manufacturers who will sell at high prices the armored vehicles and cartridges that the general Thai want to buy?

I would love to know what they mean by "afford workers in Thailand internationally recognized worker rights. "

Does this mean 5 day work week.

Safe working places

paid holiday

What exactly are they talking about.  If it is this it should be interesting.

BTW Trump will not be impeached and Nancy will lose the house next year.  Lots of games but nothing done by House of reps

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Would there be a little or a lot of Machiavelli in Donald Trump?

Will he wait for the baht to collapse to give the green light to the arms manufacturers who will sell at high prices the armored vehicles and cartridges that the general Thai want to buy?

They will just cancel the order and walk away without any discussion. Easy innit.

5 hours ago, car720 said:

Am I the only one seeing this.  He was to be impeached for his goings on in the Ukraine but now he has done a deal?

He was not going to be impeached for that, they only started an investigation...that's something totally different.

Some months ago the USA changed India from a 3rd world country to a 2nd world country and stopped the privileged customs for Indian exports, also because India demands very high customs for imports. Now I am curious what will happen if Trump finds out that it´s the same with Thailand. They also get very low customs for exports in the US (chemicals, hard discs and computer parts and so on) but demands crazy tariffs for US wines, cars and so on (for cars it´s 200 - 300%). Thailand makes a lot of money with these high customs - one reason why the VAT is so low - but if they have to lower them dramatically, the country will get a huge financial problem.

48 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Monsanto is in German hands now so I am not sure if this has anything to do with the poison they produce which has been banned now in Thailand but it was about time. Why would Thailand enjoy special treatment under the GSP forever? It does hardly anything at all for the majority of regular Thais but only makes the filthy rich richer as Thailand climbed to the No 1 spot in the world for economic inequality between the poor and the rich.

The GSP program was meant to help 3rd world countries into their feet but not to substitute the corrupt super rich!

In cohorts with corrupt politicians - this so called “elites“ have created quasi monopolies reaping in billions pretending to be a poor 3rd world country that needs to be given preferential treatment!

EU should follow soon but their representatives in Thailand are either blind or in such desperate need for business that they pretend to be blind.

Thais have a word for what Thailand represents on the world economic stage - “Phuan-Kin” or “eating friend” who only shows up for the freebies would best describe this despicable behavior on heavily taxing imports while trying to export under preferential treatment status they should have been stripped off long ago and start competing on equal terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not disagreeing with your post, but “Phuan-Kin” or Ghin would mean " (My) friend eats. It should be "Ghin Phuan"- eating friends. 

53 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Whatever makes the Baht eventually come crashing down is good news to me. The higher the Baht is climbing, the higher the fall will be and the worse it will be for the Thai economy.

Well, that's at least what I'm hoping for.

I agree but although it's worse now than ever a lot of folks including myself have been waiting for the "smoke and mirrors' Thai economy to crash for years.Their individual debt must be crippling the place you would think.

He has discovered that a trade war with someone his own size (China) is not "easy to win".

He desperately needs to be seen to be a "winner".

So he does what a bully always does in such a circumstance.

He picks on someone "smaller" than himself instead.......Thailand.

And his moronic fans will cheer him for it.

Because that's what moronic bully worshippers do.

And he will be pleased by their contemptible, deplorable, moronic approval.

He does not give one gram of s*** about the conditions for workers in Thailand.

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

He's da man.ive been waiting for trump to look at Thailand at its trade practices since the time he was meeting with chan o cha and trump said he couldn't work out why the US had such a trade deficit with Thailand.now he might see the bigger picture and go for it as he has done with China.

come on trump,show them how big your balls really are.????

If you still think Trump, Hillary, Bush, Obama or any of them since around Kennedy is anything else than a figurehead, then you've been duped, period 

Archived