Trump suspends 40 billion baht worth of duty-free trade for Thailand

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you know about the Shrimp trade here......he did workers a HUGE favore.....in the long run.
Shrimpers are trapped aboard Shrimp boats and treated poorly.
Workers in Shrimp factories in Bangkok are also sometimes held captive and made to work 16+ hrs a day.
Thailand needs to raise wages.
going rate for unskilled labor........work 8 hrs for 300 bhat per day.
Skilled workers 500 a day
u acceptable

You cannot raise wages without increasing skills or productivity.
Companies must be profitable to survive.

5 hours ago, dabhand said:

If you have payed any attention to what Trump is all about then absolutely he would do something like that.  The documentary that came out on him last year(or two years ago I don’t remember) was incredibly enlightening as to how he conducts himself.  He is just smart enough to be sneaky and manipulative without having the social skills or wit to utilize his skill set in a responsible and effective manner.  

It's quite obvious that there's a small minority of posters on this forum who are anti trump and who don't want to support his efforts to stop IUU in the Thai fishing industry and the slavery of 1,000s of Burmese.lets not even think about the amount of murders where they are just thrown overboard.

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

It's quite obvious that there's a small minority of posters on this forum who are anti trump and who don't want to support his efforts to stop IUU in the Thai fishing industry and the slavery of 1,000s of Burmese.lets not even think about the amount of murders where they are just thrown overboard.

If it was really about slavery, wages, human rights, he may garner some support, but we know that is not the case, and he cannot be trusted to even lay straight in bed

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

If it was really about slavery, wages, human rights, he may garner some support, but we know that is not the case, and he cannot be trusted to even lay straight in bed

No matter what the reason it's a step in the right direction and someone has to have the balls to get the ball rolling.unlike the spineless corrupt undemocratic EU.

16 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

It's quite obvious that there's a small minority of posters on this forum who are anti trump

And more who are anti thai.

11 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand deserve that one. 

Karma. 

You know about it? 

55555 But it not happen. Just sad guy imagine. Want it. But....

Several factors are attracting investors to Thailand, making it a haven for foreign money. But its healthy current account tops them all, according to analysts at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. The International Monetary Fund forecasts the country will post a surplus of 6% of gross domestic product this year, almost double that of Japan.

Thailand’s reserves and negligible inflation also provide investors comfort. The central bank’s foreign-cash pilestands at $220 billion, the equivalent of more than 12 months of imports. And inflation, currently 0.3%, has been running below the central bank’s target of 1% to 4% since June.

As if these weren’t enough, Thailand is getting a boost from gold. A hub for bullion trading, Thailand has benefited as jitters about the U.S.-China trade war and global economic slowdown have driven a 17% gain in the price of the metal this year.

16 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Several factors are attracting investors to Thailand, making it a haven for foreign money. But its healthy current account tops them all, according to analysts at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. The International Monetary Fund forecasts the country will post a surplus of 6% of gross domestic product this year, almost double that of Japan.

Thailand’s reserves and negligible inflation also provide investors comfort. The central bank’s foreign-cash pilestands at $220 billion, the equivalent of more than 12 months of imports. And inflation, currently 0.3%, has been running below the central bank’s target of 1% to 4% since June.

As if these weren’t enough, Thailand is getting a boost from gold. A hub for bullion trading, Thailand has benefited as jitters about the U.S.-China trade war and global economic slowdown have driven a 17% gain in the price of the metal this year.

I like you. 

When you join thred, it more sanuk. 

More enjoy. 

Thank

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

I am just surprised  its taken so long for the US to react.

With more and more Chinese Companies relocating to Thailand to avoid Tariffs, it can only mean more grief to " Thai " Companies

Yes, indeed. Thailand has put itself on the radar screen. It is something I believed would happen after the government sent out all those press releases crowing about how it was going to bring Chinese companies to Thailand to evade US tariffs. What a bunch of idiots. 

Does anyone actually know how much the preferential tarriff due for suspension actually is? I think it is in the order of 1% and will have limited impact on seafood exports from Thailand.

Of course, the suspension (due to start in 6 months) will never happen. Thailand and the US will do some deal perhaps along the lines of Thailand not restricting imports of US agricultural products due to the chemical ban.

The biggest trade problem is the ever expanding trade imbalance heavily favouring Thailand. I'm not sure how that will be resolved when the next US report is due next month.

None of this will affect the Baht in the short term. It will add to long term problems for the Thai economy putting even more pressure on exports and new capital investment (noting that most of the money flooding into Thailand is hot money pumping up the Baht, but not going into new business, factories or plant that will benefit the economy).

Once again, it is hard to see why the Thai Government is determined to run an appreciating Baht when the economy is so dependent upon exports. I guess they will continue to do this until the economy goes into recession next year. Real GDP growth is already creeping around 1% if traded gold exports are taken out of the equation.

In my opinion, the Thai government really needs to look at serious infrastructure spending if it wants to head off a recession. The reserves exist to do this and might help to ease off the Baht and ensure the economy has a soft landing.

Thailand complaining about pesticides! just an excuse so they don't have to import foreign product because Thai product on a level market isn't going to be able to compete. The reason not to buy American pork was another just like that.

Glad what Trump is doing, I've already written to his department that Thailand is also been accepting China goods that have been nailed with Tariff shipping it to Thailand then repacking as Thai made and ship to the U.S. to get around the tariff.

Thailand, is no better than China, one only has to go to any supermarket to the shelves and see mark up 30-40%  for imports. 

55 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Serious question, what grade did you get for economics? 

54 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Yes, indeed. Thailand has put itself on the radar screen. It is something I believed would happen after the government sent out all those press releases crowing about how it was going to bring Chinese companies to Thailand to evade US tariffs. What a bunch of idiots. 

Hey radar, look at me!

5 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Of course, the suspension (due to start in 6 months) will never happen. Thailand and the US will do some deal perhaps along the lines of Thailand not restricting imports of US agricultural products due to the chemical ban.

I don't know about you guys but i also don't want to eat soybeans full of paraquat and the lot. So i hope thailand fights back and stops buying that kind of products. Many thai have issues with making babies, that's what you get from eating too much chemicals.

But it's also time for thailand to open up it's markets for foreign competitors....prices here are extremely high now compared to Europe.

Unfortunately US gov't does not care about expats who live or move to Thailand. Trump only cares about the almighty Dollar and as such, trade imbalances. That is why he's the self proclaimed Tariff Man.

i hope all foreigns have smart and end ewerythink busines whit thailand and start only when all immigration law has changed normal human law, normal ,no fee idiot system what have now.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The USTR’s office said the move amounted to a suspension of $1.3 billion in trade preferences for Thailand under the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program.

Something the PM can chat about when Trump comes to dinner.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The suspension, which goes into effect in six months, will affect about a third of Thailand’s products included in the trade program. Duty-free treatment will be revoked for all Thailand’s seafood exports to the United States over labor issues, the USTR’s office said.

That's gonna hurt !

Archived