Motorcycle taxis: Losing our jackets for three years for sidewalk riding is too long

rooster59

Motorcycle taxis: Losing our jackets for three years for sidewalk riding is too long 

taxi.JPG

Image: Daily News

"Win" riders - Bangkok's ubiquitous motorcycle taxis - have said that proposed penalties for riding on the sidewalk are too severe. 

They said losing their jackets for three years was unfair. 

Yesterday the PR department of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration went to gauge opinion on the streets at four ranks in the upper Sukhumvit Road area of the capital. 

The places surveyed included two in Soi Asoke (Soi 21), Soi 18 and Soi 22. 

Spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang said that riders agreed with the proposed regulations saying it was a positive step forward. 

But they disagreed with losing jackets for three years saying it was too severe a penalty. They asked if it was possible to tone down the penalties. 

Their comments will be taken forward to a meeting on October 31st. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-16

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Like 3 days and a stimulus package to help them pay off their "Win" taxi masters!

Exactly. These Wins are under an onerous burden to pay "up the chain" for their jackets. Some pay over 100,000 baht for a 300 baht jacket. This penalty is an economic death sentence.

12 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"Win" riders - Bangkok's ubiquitous motorcycle taxis - have said that proposed penalties for riding on the sidewalk are too severe. 

They said losing their jackets for three years was unfair. 

If you can't do the time' don't do the crime.

3 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Don't ride on the sidewalks then ! Easy, innit ?

Agree, but this rule is just one among many from the traffic laws. Why should this one have such a different level of severity than other important rules, like stop, red light, alcohol...

I’m a supporter of progressive penalties. I think a 3 year outright ban for FIRST* offenses is a bit too punitive... what I personally think is appropriate is something like a B1,000 fine or perhaps a 7-day suspension.. something like that for a first offense...

The * above notes that IF offense results in physical injury to a pedestrian or damage to private property, THEN I think some kind of multiplier of the penalty would be appropriate.

Second offenses within say 12 or 18 months would compound and at a proven 3rd offense within say 24 months, NOW i would support a 3yr ban outright.

Overall for non-violent crimes, I’m not a fan of incarceration or penalties that majorly impede ones ability to be self sustaining... what I am a fan of for the non-violent infractions is monetary fines.

My guess here only is that those that are committing these kinds of “sidewalk riding” aren’t on the higher income end - so fines imposed would be a bigger “hurt” than something like imprisonment... I am the opposite for crimes like money laundering and related major economic crimes.. here I favor imprisonment over outright fines... it’s harder to really put the hurt one some who has substantial assets via a fine - but take away their freedom and now I think you’ve got something that hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Exactly. These Wins are under an onerous burden to pay "up the chain" for their jackets. Some pay over 100,000 baht for a 300 baht jacket. This penalty is an economic death sentence.

Absolute rubbish, they took the jacket hoping /thinking to be forever protected by their masters up the chain..

Now people are sick to death of these riding on the footpath and in some instances injuring pedestrias on the footpath.

If 1 meter was given to them on a road or footpaths they would take 2 meters.

They already tried softly softly low fine approach for many years but of course those idiots think they are above the law and just ignored it...now suck it boys , you can always go back to the farm and do some real work for 3 years if busted hahaha

3 hours ago, timendres said:

Really? 100 000 baht for get to be a motorcycle taxi rider. Get real! Not even those guy are that mentally ill.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

How original. But laws serve the people. In this case the laws suggested, by a thug military regime, are being challenged by the people which seems eminently reasonable. The proposers of these laws are the wealthy   corrupt power elite who drive around in chauffeur driven cars.

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:
3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

How original. But laws serve the people. In this case the laws suggested, by a thug military regime, are being challenged by the people which seems eminently reasonable. The proposers of these laws are the wealthy   corrupt power elite who drive around in chauffeur driven cars.

You are not supportive of motorcycles on the footpaths, are you? - because that's how you're comments above read.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who believes any of these so called penalties will ever materialize anyway? - it's all just media lip-service, nothing changes because no one cares enough to adequately enforce these issues. 

This one is different ????

It is not Amazing Thailand but rather A Maze In Thailand.  Every time a Thai government passes a regulation, especially when related to vehicles, Thais get up in arms and the government backs down and reverses itself to undo the regulation.  Then problems arise to show the people are wrong but the law does not get reinstated.  A prime example occurred when it was forbidden to ride in the back of a pickup truck.  That got rescinded and the next day a pickup was involved in a collision and many people riding in the back died, but the law was not reinstated.  The same thing happened regarding the wearing of crash helmets.  The next day to boys riding a motorbike underage and no helmets died when in a collision which they were responsible for, as they were taking a fighting cock somewhere to sell it.  The families got up in arms about the deaths but did not own responsibility for two underage boys riding illegally and without proper protection.  The same lack or responsibility pervades many areas of Thai society.

'nuf sed.

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

How about serving the people who are endangered and incovenienced by these selfish louts?

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Bit of fail that argument.

These laws protect others who are not rich to be able to walk safely on the sidewalk. Its a great rule no matter who is in power. Penalties might be a bit harsh for a first time but other then that i welcome harsher penalties for these crimes.

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

pavements are FOR PEDESTRIANS not for any other kinda vehicle

Not exact. Pavement are for all kinds of vehicles that are not allowed to circulate on the street. This may include (unsure of last Thai street laws) children on bicycle, wheelchairs even motorised, rollers, kick scooters, etc.

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

For the little respect you have towards pedestrians, no fine is too severe!
I would certainly be more severe!

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who believes any of these so called penalties will ever materialize anyway? - it's all just media lip-service, nothing changes because no one cares enough to adequately enforce these issues. 

I don't think they'll be enforced fairly.  But, like a lot of Thailand's rule by law (as opposed to rule of law), the penalties will be used nefariously to push revenue from one group of hi-so's to another.  If you can get the cops to confiscate the jackets of most of your competitor's riders, you can take over an area.

Archived