Motorcycle taxis: Losing our jackets for three years for sidewalk riding is too long

rooster59

As far as I’m concerned these thugs are the worst in terms of public danger, just yesterday I nearly had 3 accident in three different locations because they were riding on the wrong side of the roads, it was a real fluke to avoid them ! And what does the police do ?!!! They believe that a gps will fix a thai frame of mind, how destructive ????????‍♂️

16 hours ago, new2here said:

I’m a supporter of progressive penalties. I think a 3 year outright ban for FIRST* offenses is a bit too punitive... what I personally think is appropriate is something like a B1,000 fine or perhaps a 7-day suspension.. something like that for a first offense...

The * above notes that IF offense results in physical injury to a pedestrian or damage to private property, THEN I think some kind of multiplier of the penalty would be appropriate.

Second offenses within say 12 or 18 months would compound and at a proven 3rd offense within say 24 months, NOW i would support a 3yr ban outright.

Overall for non-violent crimes, I’m not a fan of incarceration or penalties that majorly impede ones ability to be self sustaining... what I am a fan of for the non-violent infractions is monetary fines.

My guess here only is that those that are committing these kinds of “sidewalk riding” aren’t on the higher income end - so fines imposed would be a bigger “hurt” than something like imprisonment... I am the opposite for crimes like money laundering and related major economic crimes.. here I favor imprisonment over outright fines... it’s harder to really put the hurt one some who has substantial assets via a fine - but take away their freedom and now I think you’ve got something that hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah sliding scale sounds a good idea. As you point out a scale of penalties that is commensurate with income earned on average and a penalty of money and suspension time in balance with that.

third strike a hearty fine n longer suspension.

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Motorcycle taxis: Losing our jackets for three years for sidewalk riding is too long

You don't have to lose your jackets for 3 years... just as you don't have to ride on the pavements !

Don't do it !

What your argument is saying is: ban us for one day, we'll take that then carry on again as normal ?

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

The reality is that many "wins" are under pressure from the public to ride on the sidewalks so they can get to their destination quicker. If they don't comply they face losing fares. 

Rooster

The reality is once no one rides on the pavements, no one can complain about the length of the journey.

This law seems too simple.  Some mc taxi stands are on sidewalks and the motorcycles must pull up onto to the sidewalk to park.  Some minimum distance should be specified before the law kicks in.

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Agree, but this rule is just one among many from the traffic laws. Why should this one have such a different level of severity than other important rules, like stop, red light, alcohol...

Because no-one is ever going to be banned for three years. It's an empty threat, like so many of Thailand's laws. It's a way they can intimidate and threaten, and then be seen as the nice guy when they actually ban them for a week or two instead. The person being threatened ends up thanking and wai-ing the person punishing them, thereby satisfying the ego of the man in uniform. Everyone ends up happy. It's the Thai way.

43 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

This law seems too simple.  Some mc taxi stands are on sidewalks and the motorcycles must pull up onto to the sidewalk to park.  Some minimum distance should be specified before the law kicks in.

ummm......where's the righteousness in setting up a private taxi stand on a public sidewalk?

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

At least they don't drive on the sidewalks....

I still think a flexible approach would work better - and only enforce the rule where it's beneficial.

There are MANY areas where allowing some sidewalk use is extremely beneficial and quite a few where it would keep bikes from going the wrong way up the road and having to overtake parked cars...

THe idea that the infrastructure here is in any way sufficient and that rules can be blindly applied without regard to the local infrastructure is very western - and frankly not practical here. Nor would I welcome it.

15 hours ago, Vacuum said:
On 10/26/2019 at 8:32 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

The proposers of these laws are the wealthy   corrupt power elite who drive around in chauffeur driven cars.

At least they don't drive on the sidewalks....

Right. They plow into policemen on motorcycles, murdering them, then take a runner.

Archived