Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Hotel prices slashed and quiet beaches, Phuket faces challenging high season


Recommended Posts

 

My Thai gf rents out scooters in Phuket - on an outlying beach.

She is called , currently ,   by Indian nationals on 'Line'  or 'Messenger' ( so free ) from perfectly nice resorts that are usually a long way from the beach/villiage and discounting heavily,

 

They quickly learn  that transport here is expensive, and  the resort that was so cheap on the net ,  wants 400-500 baht for their  hotel "Limo" ( that could well be a tuk tuk or an aging Pajero ) service to deliver them all of 3 kms to her point of rental.

 

So they research and see the gf delivers free INSIDE our  villiage .

Then they Free call her and nag and go on and on about her delivering  , usually 4 kms + OUT , ...

 

and  when we get there ( as I drive her home on my motorbike ) that they are not going to pay any deposit for damages .

AND they want a discount on 200 baht a day.

 

Of course I interject and say "See ya" , and as we start to go they change their minds,

 

But having said that , the last dozen or so ( younger Indians ) have been straight up good customers ,,,

 

Their demographic may be shifting to.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...  ... really?! Well, good luck with them ... 

OMG! Why can they not just come out and say it, the high Baht and very bad reputation has and is causing this crisis not only for the big hotels but everyone who is connected in anyway to tourist inco

Because all of the people in power in Thailand have millions and millions of baht in the bank. They can reap the rewards of the inflated currency by buying investments and properties overseas at a hug

Posted Images

I live in Phuket. 
 

The west coast seems busier this year compared to last year.

 

Noticed many more european and Aussies and Indians this year compared to last couple of years.
 

Chinese are also still coming, but appears to be a little less than usual.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

 

My Thai gf rents out scooters in Phuket - on an outlying beach.

She is called , currently ,   by Indian nationals on 'Line'  or 'Messenger' ( so free ) from perfectly nice resorts that are usually a long way from the beach/villiage and discounting heavily,

 

They quickly learn  that transport here is expensive, and  the resort that was so cheap on the net ,  wants 400-500 baht for their  hotel "Limo" ( that could well be a tuk tuk or an aging Pajero ) service to deliver them all of 3 kms to her point of rental.

 

So they research and see the gf delivers free INSIDE our  villiage .

Then they Free call her and nag and go on and on about her delivering  , usually 4 kms + OUT , ...

 

and  when we get there ( as I drive her home on my motorbike ) that they are not going to pay any deposit for damages .

AND they want a discount on 200 baht a day.

 

Of course I interject and say "See ya" , and as we start to go they change their minds,

 

But having said that , the last dozen or so ( younger Indians ) have been straight up good customers ,,,

 

Their demographic may be shifting to.

 

The retired expat community have a hard to realizing they are being pushed out and are no longer welcomed.

they in turn pounce on the new demographic, Chinese and Indian. 

Yes there are those that are cheap Charlie's, same same as western backpackers, but also many single or smaller group travellers, WITH money, that DO spend. 

Both countries have the fastest I merging middle class, so fasten your seat belts.

i can only imagine what they have to say about the vast majority of expats, especially in pattaya, you should have seen them, drunk in the bars at 9 am, dirty smelly old men, eating 40 baht meals , etc etc etc.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never known a Thai so say anything favourable about people from India and have actually heard many of them say they all "smell". So, I wonder how the general population and Thai business people who cater to the tourism industry feel about the the TAT wooing them to replace tourism revenue lost from other nationalities. I suspect an influx of their fresh money will help change (outward) attitudes greatly.  

I know my wife won’t ever eat their yellow curry rice and chicken. I like it and eat it. I think she’s just spoiled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, jollyhangmon said:

 

... :cheesy: ... really?! Well, good luck with them ... 

If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable. The tourism czars here remind me of of the king who stood on the sea shore and told the tide not to come in.  As you said, good luck with the Indians.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic posts and replies have been removed.

 

A post that had a link to a disallowed site has been removed:

 

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 11:28 AM, thaistocks said:

What about the Visa hazels to long term stayers? Why is this not mentioned, or did I miss it (?), its policies are way over the top besides often confusing, not friendly to even the many good people whom stay here and many have families here and contribute to Thailand.  Just take a look at yet another of many letters published in the BKK Post today, October 27th 2019.

 

Good business dictates return customers and passive sales.  Have we known the junta to act in the interest of good business or the common Thai?   You are trying to apply logic, economic fundamentals and decency to a group people who cannot comprehend such things.   They want us to move to Vietnam for whatever illogical reason.   Why is Thai Airlines failing?  Why is Bangkok boring?   Trying to understand the junta is a waste of time, unless you cannot walk away from Thailand. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

i can only imagine what they have to say about the vast majority of expats, especially in pattaya, you should have seen them, drunk in the bars at 9 am, dirty smelly old men, eating 40 baht meals , etc 

 

You sir have offended me personally with this statement reflecting my lifestyle and reputation. 

I challenge thee to a dual! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stevenl said:

Strange post since the op States hotel prices have been sliced. Also the experience of myself plus customers is that prices are low, and were much lower during low season as well.

is this post by the ever accurate Cheesman? 555

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 1:05 PM, NightSky said:

What the heck are you talking about, the people traffickers are usually from Asia and Africa. 

 

The poor victims you mention were trying to escape communism and poverty in Asia most likely.

 

You have no clue what you are talking about.

 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:05 PM, NightSky said:

What the heck are you talking about, the people traffickers are usually from Asia and Africa. 

 

The poor victims you mention were trying to escape communism and poverty in Asia most likely.

 

You have no clue what you are talking about.

The driver was Irish. Hard to find a crueler human being than an Irishman. Thais are nice people unless they lose face. then scores must be settled. 

Edited by Langkawee
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 8:47 PM, baansgr said:

When a decent meal and a few drinks on a night out cost more than London or Paris with bad service to boot, what do they expect....that's not even mentioning the airport hassles, taxi and tuk tuk rip offs and violence.

Phuket really is a pain by those taxi mafias.  Few if any motorcycle taxis as in Pattaya.  What should be an easy and reasonably priced trip back and forth from Karon Beach to Patong is just a pain.  And the stories about returning late at night and getting gouged are not good. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 10:32 PM, Skallywag said:

The Rosewood Phuket is the best deal as you get a free breakfast with your 26,000 baht room for the night.  Better hurry though it is a "Limited time offer" :cheesy:

Plus it's 2.7 km from the beach.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, Ron jeremy said:

The retired expat community have a hard to realizing they are being pushed out and are no longer welcomed.

they in turn pounce on the new demographic, Chinese and Indian. 

Yes there are those that are cheap Charlie's, same same as western backpackers, but also many single or smaller group travellers, WITH money, that DO spend. 

Both countries have the fastest I merging middle class, so fasten your seat belts.

i can only imagine what they have to say about the vast majority of expats, especially in pattaya, you should have seen them, drunk in the bars at 9 am, dirty smelly old men, eating 40 baht meals , etc etc etc.

 

If you were "that" Ron Jeremy I imagine I might believe you knew what you are talking about, Dirty old men and the rest of it.  But you are not, so you probably don't!    And apparently neither do anyone on the Thai Tourism seats of importance.

Bite the hand, comes to mind and they are doing a fine job of it.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, friend of siam said:

WHO wants to visit a tourist trap like phuket where 150000 other joes <deleted> on the same beach at the same time...????

I guess the 150,000 on the beach want to visit a tourist trap..

 

9 hours ago, friend of siam said:

I once went to kho pi pi and krabi...it was a roundtrip with a boat snorkeling swimming food and a nice tourguide all day ...quiet cheap...but it was busy like at a metro station at rush hour incl. the sounds.

What was it, quiet  or "busy like at a metro station at rush hour incl. the sounds" ?

 

9 hours ago, friend of siam said:

i come and go to asia... stay awhile amongst locals far away from all these places

Who cares, and how is that relevant to the thread topic?

Link to post
Share on other sites

BIG IDEA! EXPOSE THE TRUTH!! Would one of you guys be able to buy a spy button camera. I've seen them on ebay and they are super cheap. Dress like a tourist and go about traveling around Phuket. Record the scamming tuk-tuk mafias, broken and filthy streets, ect. Then maybe someone else on here who's good at video editing can put that footage together and working with a English-Thai smart expat for inserting subtitles. Final step, upload to facebook and all social media titled: "RIP PHUKET 2000 - 2019: THIS IS WHY PHUKET DIED". 

 

Thoughts? 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

BIG IDEA! EXPOSE THE TRUTH!! Would one of you guys be able to buy a spy button camera. I've seen them on ebay and they are super cheap. Dress like a tourist and go about traveling around Phuket. Record the scamming tuk-tuk mafias, broken and filthy streets, ect. Then maybe someone else on here who's good at video editing can put that footage together and working with a English-Thai smart expat for inserting subtitles. Final step, upload to facebook and all social media titled: "RIP PHUKET 2000 - 2019: THIS IS WHY PHUKET DIED". 

 

Thoughts? 

Yes, nonsense.

 

Tuktuks are not scamming, prices are known before getting on. In general streets are good, streets are not filthy, etc.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...