Hotel prices slashed and quiet beaches, Phuket faces challenging high season

rooster59

18 hours ago, friend of siam said:

WHO wants to visit a tourist trap like phuket where 150000 other joes <deleted> on the same beach at the same time...????

I once went to kho pi pi and krabi...it was a roundtrip with a boat snorkeling swimming food and a nice tourguide all day ...quiet cheap...but it was busy like at a metro station at rush hour incl. the sounds...it was funny to watch all these holiday makers some on a one week holiday...a highly perfected form of suffering...all year in an office and after that right into the tourist trap...

who wants that.,???.. i come and go to asia... stay awhile amongst locals far away from all these places...

if you spot a tourist developer run him over with a truck ...quickly..

You are a genius amongst the morons. Rarely do you find a man who understands reality. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I would love to get a hotel room at 50 percent off in high season. TAT the big liars can

keep up their BS, but the business owners of Thailand all know how the economy is

doing for real.

Geezer

Go to cat ba island near Hanoi. On Agoda queen size bedroom for two people 120 baht, $4USD, 90,000 DONG. 

My wife has a close friend who owns 2 properties which she rents out, one in Hua Hin and one in Kamala. She has to go to the properties every now and again for whatever reason. This time she came back from Phuket saying it was extremely quiet, worst she's ever seen.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:05 AM, rooster59 said:

AFP also spoke to Paul Scott from Australia, who said he has been coming to Thailand for 15 years, said: “I’ve never seen anything as bad as what it is at the moment.”

He's an <deleted> then. Less people is only a good thing for the ones that do go.

The tourism sector in LOS is suffering BECAUSE too many people are going. No one that loves Thai beaches wants to be crowded with no space to relax or enjoy the ambience.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:49 AM, SteveK said:

My wife has a close friend who owns 2 properties which she rents out, one in Hua Hin and one in Kamala. She has to go to the properties every now and again for whatever reason. This time she came back from Phuket saying it was extremely quiet, worst she's ever seen.

"Worst" for her, BRILLIANT for the tourists that go.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:36 AM, friend of siam said:

WHO wants to visit a tourist trap like phuket where 150000 other joes <deleted> on the same beach at the same time...????

I once went to kho pi pi and krabi...it was a roundtrip with a boat snorkeling swimming food and a nice tourguide all day ...quiet cheap...but it was busy like at a metro station at rush hour incl. the sounds...it was funny to watch all these holiday makers some on a one week holiday...a highly perfected form of suffering...all year in an office and after that right into the tourist trap...

who wants that.,???.. i come and go to asia... stay awhile amongst locals far away from all these places...

if you spot a tourist developer run him over with a truck ...quickly..

Back in the 90s Phuket was OK, except the taxis were a rip off even back then-I used the cheap bus.

Phi Phi was BRILLIANT.

Then, GREED ruined it all, and it's become the <deleted><deleted><deleted> it is today. Every owner of a cheap hovel tarted it up and raised prices. Saw it all in Pattaya ( but I used to spend a lot of time in Phuket too ) as that place got ruined by GREEDY Thais.

In the past I used to say on a travel forum that Thailand was in for a rude shock if they kept destroying their beaches the way they were. The sound they hear is of chickens coming home to roost, and if any place deserved to have their tourist sector devastated for destruction, rip offs, corruption and just not providing a good experience, it's Thailand, IMO.

the high baht and the hotel owners know tourist are not coming.in cnx they expect less tourist than last high season. i don,t think the bar owners anywhere in thailand are thinking of lots of tourist for they bar too.things don,t look good for the high season if the baht remains high

On 10/27/2019 at 6:29 PM, Thomas Hannah said:

So it looks like the streets are going to be full of indians looking into bars.

And opening boxes of chocolates and packets of sweets in the Big C supermarket (witnessed two days ago) to look at the contents inside and finger them!

TAT wished for, and went after "new markets" and succeeded in pulling in the lo-so element from two continents. They played the "numbers" game and that game never beats the "quality" game in respect of spend and profit for med/small businesses. 

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thai people can thank their immigration officers at the airports for their drop in tourists since they're they ones who are denying a lot of tourists with valid visas from entering and spending big bucks here.

And, the ones they do let in they are extorting money from them a mate of mine had to pay 4000 Baht 

5 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

the high baht and the hotel owners know tourist are not coming.in cnx they expect less tourist than last high season. i don,t think the bar owners anywhere in thailand are thinking of lots of tourist for they bar too.things don,t look good for the high season if the baht remains high

Chiang Mai is OK if you like getting gassed in a chamber.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:08 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like the glory days of Thai beaches except better. What is the beach like though? If it's rubbish would explain why prices are so low.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+ba+beaches&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=imnv&sxsrf=ACYBGNTBEam6vvrNNqZj12N4PkMB5YaxRQ:1572600536159&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiX8dLC2cjlAhXNdd4KHYiYBHYQ_AUoAXoECA8QAQ

On 10/29/2019 at 5:46 AM, stevenl said:

Yes, nonsense.

Tuktuks are not scamming, prices are known before getting on. In general streets are good, streets are not filthy, etc.

Not scamming ?? 

I used to live up above Sun Hill Hotel (the villa that came down in the landslide) it was routine that you would agree with a tuk tuk at the top of bangla a price to take a car load of girls back, price agreed.. Top of the hill yes.. yes yes top of the hill.. Its ABOVE sun hill hotel.. top of the hill.. Yes yes 500b top of the hill.. 

Then he would drive to the bottom of the hill and refuse to go up without another 200b (to go a few 100m) you have 6 gogo girls in silly heels and 250m of 1 in 5 hill, its pitch dark and theres no other options at 3am at that location. 

Thats not a scam ?? This happened more times than it didnt. 

13 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

think i'll give it a miss, chinese found it :cheesy:

1908DFDD-EB59-4399-A4A1-26D9A076AC95.jpeg

That's also a green water island, not clear water.  Best on the central coast to the South. That part of the coast has island clear water right on mainland. 

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Not scamming ?? 

I used to live up above Sun Hill Hotel (the villa that came down in the landslide) it was routine that you would agree with a tuk tuk at the top of bangla a price to take a car load of girls back, price agreed.. Top of the hill yes.. yes yes top of the hill.. Its ABOVE sun hill hotel.. top of the hill.. Yes yes 500b top of the hill.. 

Then he would drive to the bottom of the hill and refuse to go up without another 200b (to go a few 100m) you have 6 gogo girls in silly heels and 250m of 1 in 5 hill, its pitch dark and theres no other options at 3am at that location. 

I remember when your building almost fell down the hill.

You used to take 6 gogo girls home (!) and then quibble about an extra 200 baht to take them up one of the the steepest hills in Patong!

Yes, a ripoff, but in all fairness mate, ancient history. I believe you moved to the "gas chamber" town quite a while ago.  The tuk tuk criminals standardized their thieving prices sometime after that.

As a local I never use them, haven't been in one in decades, not since I  came as a tourist. 

I don't think the local overpriced transport, in itself, deters genuine tourists. There are many factors to blame, principally world economic downturns and currency exchange rates.  On the plus side they do keep the Isaan based, cheap Charlie, long term visitors away and gives them something to whine about on these pages.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I remember when your building almost fell down the hill.

You used to take 6 gogo girls home (!) and then quibble about an extra 200 baht to take them up one of the the steepest hills in Patong!

Nothing whatsoever to do with the amount that was being scammed and everything to do with I refuse to be ripped off or treated with less than mutual respect. Dont want to go up there for less than 700 ?? Absolutely fine, say that at the start. 

As a collective they are dishonest thuggish conmen, whose entire industry is enabled by corruption and protected via violence, any westerner defending them and claiming they are not needs a head check. 

And yeah I spend some of each year in 'the gas chamber' ???? also enjoying summers in Europe much more. I see they rebuilt the old pile (now 140 million asking price I was told, bargains everywhere I see). The older I get, the more rural I like. 

21 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Not scamming ?? 

So why didn't you tell them to put on their normal shoes before buying them out of the bar? Kept repeating the same experience and expected a different outcome?

I never took a girl out of a gogo that wore her gogo shoes outside. They cost a lot of money and they wouldn't want to ruin them walking in the dog poo and dirty streets.

BTW, I understand how an experience with 2 or 3 can be "interesting", but what would one do with 3 spare girls? Don't answer that, as it's against forum rules.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, I understand how an experience with 2 or 3 can be "interesting", but what would one do with 3 spare girls? Don't answer that, as it's against forum rules.

Never alone.. Was always loads of us up there having all night rager pool parties till dawn.. 

Half the old suzy wongs crew of 04 - 09 were friends, they used to come hang out pre work.. Wish I knew were Taa, Nid, Lek, and a bunch of other got to, hope lifes been kind. 

Archived