Minimum hours for WP?

FawnsGhost

I am on an ED visa and happy here. I had wanted to study Thai and I saved up enough to live on for at least a year. I don't have any real financial concerns, although of course Bangkok is a bit expensive and I have to be careful. Well, you always have to be careful in big cities, anyway. There are a lot of temptations (in my case, mainly food and drink) to waste money on.

I taught English in Japan for a decade. I like it and miss it. I like working in a language school and especially teaching adults and business people. I have some decent, very-famous-in-Thailand companies on my resume from when I worked in sales and lower management after returning to the US.

What I don't want is to work morning to evening, five days a week, hardly any holidays other than the rare 3-day weekend here and there. I'd like to be able to get back in the classroom up to 20 hours a week. I would prefer as much time off as possible. I don't want to spend my non-teaching time attending events (unless I had a business teaching job where some drinks and dinners with clients and potential clients was expected...but maybe that's just a Japan thing?), judging kids' speech contests, or sitting idly onsite. I want to show up, teach really well, complete any necessary documentation, and leave. I really do want to focus sufficient time on my Thais studies, plus I have other hobbies and I like sleeping.

I am fine with making my own lesson plans and materials. I am fine with using the company's lesson plans and materials.

I can't teach even a little bit on my ED visa. So I am just wondering...

Is there a minimum salary or numbers of hours required to obtain a work permit? If so, what are the minimum requirements? How likely do you think I am to negotiate those minimum hours (I don't need a big paycheck because I was going to life off savings, anyway) with a language center? 

As a last, desperate attempt: If I can show I have enough funds to support myself, would that help my chances of getting a WP for a part-time job?

There is no minimum salary requirement for a teacher.  The WP would be a minimum of four hours, but the more the better. 16 to 20 hours a week would certainly be no problem.

You would need to get the papers from your employer and apply for a non-B outside the country, come back in and apply for the WP.

For working at a regular school you would need a degree in teaching or at the minimum a university degree in any subjects in order to get a (waiver of the) teaching license. But no teaching license is required for teaching at a university or at a language school.

My impression has always been language schools don't do work permits. Maybe you're FT and been there better part of the year. I definitely would not expect a WP from PT employment.

WP is not expensive. You might offer to pay for yours if it's not forthcoming and you like where you're working.

I would work part time, too, but not going to mess with relatively easy extensions.  Between the language schools that don't get them for anyone, and the government's schools that feel the need to control your life...it is a rare bird.  I have heard of the uni jobs being more slack on leaving campus...

If you have a wp. You're in a gray area, technically illegal. Even thus I'm surprised at the low wages and seemingly ridiculous standards for many language schools. I'd figure a good teacher with WP to be worth 900b ez. Language schools think otherwise. Many illegal teachers, no real experience willing to work for far less.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No.

then possibly a marriage visa, which gives you permission to teach.  Enlighten us.  I have only been following this pile of soi dog turd for 20 years+.  Talked to a language school teacher the other night.  He signed on about a year ago, with promises of a WP...as soon as they had 4 thais working there.  Meanwhile, he was working on 90s from KL.  He just paid an agent 35K for a two month extension..maybe it is a 30, with a 30 day extension.  A co worker at another franchise had completed a year above board, and then tried to re-enter on a TV, and was sent back to England.  They are both in extremely precarious predicaments at the moment.  Worked in a grey area...and got burned with the full torch.  

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

then possibly a marriage visa, which gives you permission to teach.  Enlighten us.  I have only been following this pile of soi dog turd for 20 years+.  Talked to a language school teacher the other night.  He signed on about a year ago, with promises of a WP...as soon as they had 4 thais working there.  Meanwhile, he was working on 90s from KL.  He just paid an agent 35K for a two month extension..maybe it is a 30, with a 30 day extension.  A co worker at another franchise had completed a year above board, and then tried to re-enter on a TV, and was sent back to England.  They are both in extremely precarious predicaments at the moment.  Worked in a grey area...and got burned with the full torch.  

I have a visa now for being the parent of thai kids. You habe to offer then some cah sometimes, but a gew years ago, a school wanted me and got me 4 hours a week with a working Visa extension.

Archived