Transport Minister considering equipping vehicles with GPS during manufacture

rooster59

Transport Minister considering equipping vehicles with GPS during manufacture

Praphorn Praphornkul

af21fc791e308c04b612777502946a5a_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT) - The Transport Minister, Saksayam Chidchob, has floated the idea of making global positioning systems (GPS) a factory standard for personal cars and motorcycles in the interest of traffic safety, and expects a decision within a year.

The Transport Minister visited the GPS Transport Management Center and the Public Passenger Protection Center to deliver his work policy to the Department of Land Transport, calling for urgent development of public transport systems and voicing support for the use of digital technological solutions, such as mobile applications.

The Transport Minister tasked the department with studying the fitting of GPS trackers in personal vehicles at the factory, with the intention of achieving accident reduction goals. The office is to discuss the idea with the Ministry of Industry, relevant agencies and car makers. The department is also to serve as a hub while cars currently in use are retrofitted with the trackers.

In acknowledgement of GPS trackers providing personal information, the Ministry of Transport has decided to spend about a year studying the issue and will hear public opinions. If implemented, Thailand would be the world’s first country to mandate the fitting of GPS trackers in the interests of road safety.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-10-27

Fitting a GPS tracker to a car will not stop accidents, the only way to stop accidents is to educate Thai in road safety, which will be a challenge in itself as most Thais not really care about that. Also having mandatory yearly car checks to improve road worthyness, again people will probably find a way round this. 

This is a good way to drive down car sales. 

It's easy just cut the wires or flood them in water ,job done.

But I don't think it will happen, just more hot gas.

The best is put a James bond micro GPS into all the new babies. 555

And I thought I had moved to Thailand not Russia. 

44 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The department is also to serve as a hub while cars currently in use are retrofitted with the trackers.

Another day....another hub! And another classic example of Thai politician's lips moving without brain being engaged. 

This is the same politician who decided, in the interests of road safety, to lift highway speed limits from 80 KPH to 120 KPH. Which is effectively saying to drivers you can now drive 50% faster than you normally would.

It is sure to be a goer if some "well connected" person or family relation has the sole agency for the chosen device. Perhaps the same person who had the faulty electronic monitoring tracker tags will get a second bite at the cherry.

29 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Just incredibly incompetent. Did anyone question him about how having a GPS in a car will improve road safety? 

Best to just let them be, they are not prone to good outside advise!

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The Transport Minister visited the GPS Transport Management Center and the Public Passenger Protection Center to deliver his work policy to the Department of Land Transport, calling for urgent development of public transport systems and voicing support for the use of digital technological solutions, such as mobile applications.

Is this what inspired the minister?

It has gone so well in decreasing the toll of busses, mini-busses and trucks. Maybe he should check to make sure that restricted system works to spec before expanding it to the rest of the vehicular population.

Considering that Thailand has the highest road fatality rate in Asean and the ninth-highest in the world, losing 32.7 people per 100,000, something drastic needs to be done.

These are some of the worst drivers (across the whole spectrum) I have seen and whilst testing and education are the 100% priority, the results will not be seen for a generation at least. 

I say do whatever needs to be done, if this saves one life then all the better. Enough of the Thai bashing, at least he is coming up with ideas.

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

if this saves one life then all the better.

Please explain how this, by itself, can save a life?

And, if it can, why is it that no other country has seen fit to introduce this?

with the intention of achieving accident reduction goals.

How about implementing existing laws, and enforce higher education standards.

Thailand would be the world’s first country to mandate the fitting of GPS trackers in the interests of road safety.

of course they would, because most of the rest of the World has a functioning police force, along with good driving standards and have no need to implement pathetic ideas like these. 

I was in a minivan the other day. There was some system that produced a strong beeeep when the driver was speeding over 90km/h. He did not care at all. I see where a GPS could be used to find who is responsible after the fact but it won't prevent anything. 

12 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Considering that Thailand has the highest road fatality rate in Asean and the ninth-highest in the world, losing 32.7 people per 100,000, something drastic needs to be done.

These are some of the worst drivers (across the whole spectrum) I have seen and whilst testing and education are the 100% priority, the results will not be seen for a generation at least. 

I say do whatever needs to be done, if this saves one life then all the better. Enough of the Thai bashing, at least he is coming up with ideas.

The German economy was bad in the 30s...People said to Hitler do what ever needs to be done....Well... At least he was doing something....

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Just incredibly incompetent. Did anyone question him about how having a GPS in a car will improve road safety? 

It's Thaialnd.... no-one asked questions, especially to those of a "higher" social status, this is one reason nothing is achieved, except one failure after another.

It is an educational and law enforcement issue, not a technical one.  The junta was what Orwell warned about, though the junta is far more slapstick than he could have imagined.  How are all those GPS devices going to report.  That is a lot of wireless data.  In China, many electric cars have wireless GPS data sent to the government.  China wants to dominate the electric market, so they watch it closely.   

Yeah and just think of all the cancer these transmitting GPS radio waves will create. It will definitely mess with the human beings internal energy. We will be literally and heavily bombarded to a saturation level with microwaves in the electromagnetic spectrum of idiocy.

Oh, never mind, that is what insurance is for. 

I cannot understand how this would work. OK, if you have an accident, the authorities could check the GPS to see if you were speeding, but that won't make the driver any better. So how does having one fitted reduce accidents?

I also suspect that removing or disconnecting would nullify any insurance one had. More about tracking the population I think.

The gps may well check one’s location and speed but it’s got nothing to do with preventing/avoiding accidents ! Thorough lack of knowledge to say the least ????????‍♂️ Surely another way to make money by selling/installing such device. The other reason is to check and infringe on everyone’s  privacy !

it will definitely not prevent any accidents, why isn’t anyone with a bit of common sense and knowledge talk to whoever made this nonsense decision ?!!

They must train the dangerously blind sleepy so called thai motorists with proper driving training at birth ???? 

The police should be present and actively stop and fine these criminals on the wheels but sadly I don’t think they’ve been instructed to do so to thai people, since they literally  get away with a murder on a daily basis..

Disgraceful really ☹️

Too much data to process and monitor.  What can we do?  I know.  Skip fitting to motorcycles, there are too many of  them.  Cars and pickups are also a problem.  Don't fit to them.  Many people will not be able to afford the GPSs.  So that just leaves us with the pesky foreigners.  No problem at all.  No GPS, no extension of stay.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Transport Minister, Saksayam Chidchob, has floated the idea of making global positioning systems (GPS) a factory standard for personal cars and motorcycles in the interest of traffic safety, and expects a decision within a year.

Complete nonsense GPS adds nothing to traffic safety.

The only motorists who need these devices are Bangkok taxi drivers, many of whom couldn't even find their own aholes without a periscope.

For the rest of us, it's just another move to facilitate the Big Brother surveillance state, due to be ushered in with the launch of 5G next March.

What could be done is to have all new cars fitted with a dash cam and universal plug in. 

All public vehicles should have them. In the case of Inter City buses 2 way cameras and monitor so that those (farangs) who are not asleep can watch the drivers face. 

In this day and age why must we always wonder WHY the bus crashed? 

Archived