Siam Commercial ATM Card - 6 Digit Pin

28 minutes ago, kralledr said:

SCB changed this since long time ago now atm is 6 digits

19 minutes ago, Chivas said:

When roughly ??  Since April 2019 ??

For new cards yes but mine is still a very old card and is 4 digits only.

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

What 6 digit Pin ??  On the App or at ATM as mines 4 as always ??

I am off to Spain for 3 weeks holiday next month. Went to one of my banks to check and see if I needed to inform them that I would be using my ATM card in Europe (my Eoro card was blocked before because I hadn't informed my bank that I was travelling to Thailand, couldn't blame them really as it appeared to them it could have been stolen and they were only protecting my money).

Anyway my bank here said it was not necessary to inform them but when they looked at my card they said I can only use it up until the end of December this year because it has a 4 digit PIN...(I assume same applies to using it in Thailand after that date). So I was able to change it there and then for a new card with a six digit PIN (in case I had to stay longer than planned).

Did that with 3 banks in total that same day.

23 hours ago, Chivas said:

What 6 digit Pin ??  On the App or at ATM as mines 4 as always ??

You need to change your ATM to a cool chip-model and 6-digit pin-code. It's free to do until the end of the year...????????

Early next year your old-fashioned magnet-strip 4-digit ATM will stop the cash cow from giving you money for milk and honey...????

12 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You need to change your ATM to a cool chip-model and 6-digit pin-code. It's free to do until the end of the year...????????

Early next year your old-fashioned magnet-strip 4-digit ATM will stop the cash cow from giving you money for milk and honey...????

@khunPer

Can you provide a link to that please. My SCB card (which does work in UK) is the old 4 digit type and I'm not going to Thailand until end of January 2020.

Presumably, that means the card WON'T work when I arrive and I'll have to go to the bank with passport and bank book to get a new one?

Annoying but not too difficult but I would like to know for sure (if possible) :unsure:

@Chivas

My card was also issued in 2016 so your experience would be of interest. 

Presumably I'm going to have to pay for my new card if I replace the old one after Jan 2020.

Do you think you could enquire about that please and post here?

1 minute ago, thecyclist said:

Wonder why you have to inform the bank when using the card in Europe. I have a KTB debit card, and have been using it all over the ASEAN region without ever informing the bank. 

When I got mine (SCB) I specifically ASKED if it was capable of international use and was told YES. Whether anything had to be set on the system to allow that, or whether it's standard, I really cannot remember.

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

When I got mine (SCB) I specifically ASKED if it was capable of international use and was told YES. Whether anything had to be set on the system to allow that, or whether it's standard, I really cannot remember.

I never asked them, I just used the card in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines Indonesia without the slightest problems, other than that in Laos and Vietnam you lose a lot not in official fees, but hidden charges in the currency conversion rate. 

4 hours ago, VBF said:

@khunPer

Can you provide a link to that please. My SCB card (which does work in UK) is the old 4 digit type and I'm not going to Thailand until end of January 2020.

Presumably, that means the card WON'T work when I arrive and I'll have to go to the bank with passport and bank book to get a new one?

Annoying but not too difficult but I would like to know for sure (if possible) :unsure:

@Chivas

My card was also issued in 2016 so your experience would be of interest. 

Presumably I'm going to have to pay for my new card if I replace the old one after Jan 2020.

Do you think you could enquire about that please and post here?

Yes no problem will do....have put it in diary

5 hours ago, VBF said:

@khunPer

It's been in the news, like here from NNT
"Bank of Thailand advises holders of ATM cards with magnetic stripes, to use new chip cards"

I needed to visit an SCB branch – any branch can do it now – to change for a new chip-card.

4 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I never asked them, I just used the card in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines Indonesia without the slightest problems, other than that in Laos and Vietnam you lose a lot not in official fees, but hidden charges in the currency conversion rate. 

The last 2 years i all ways have to notify the bank(SCB) where i'm going and for how long.

It works to start with in another country till you make 2 or 3 maximum withdraws at atm then cuts you off if you haven't notified them.

4 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Wonder why you have to inform the bank when using the card in Europe. I have a KTB debit card, and have been using it all over the ASEAN region without ever informing the bank. 

SOP to prevent fraud especially with UK banks. Thailand is classified as a high fraud risk area.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It's been in the news, like here from NNT
"Bank of Thailand advises holders of ATM cards with magnetic stripes, to use new chip cards"

I needed to visit an SCB branch – any branch can do it now – to change for a new chip-card.

Thanks.....Did they charge you, or is there a free period up to the end of 2019? (Also see #20 above where another board member is going to enquire for me.)

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Thanks.....Did they charge you, or is there a free period up to the end of 2019? (Also see #20 above where another board member is going to enquire for me.)

No, as I posted before, it's free til end of year. From January 1st (or rather 2nd) they might charge a fee, typically around 200 baht a plastic card.

I also have Bangkok Bang cards, same procedure.

10 hours ago, farmerjo said:

The last 2 years i all ways have to notify the bank(SCB) where i'm going and for how long.

It works to start with in another country till you make 2 or 3 maximum withdraws at atm then cuts you off if you haven't notified them.

Correct.

If you haven't got a 6 digit Thai bank card, then obtain one.  It's free.

Always inform your Thai bank by email or contact their call centre every time you travel to a foreign land giving your travel dates.

It's a simple procedure,

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Correct.

If you haven't got a 6 digit Thai bank card, then obtain one.  It's free.

Always inform your Thai bank by email or contact their call centre every time you travel to a foreign land giving your travel dates.

It's a simple procedure,

This depends on which bank we are talking about. At several banks when having the new 6 digit PIN code debit card with the chip, there's no need to inform the bank when leaving Thailand.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:05 AM, YT3k72Em said:

Some banks still use 4 digit pins, and some 6.  New cards will have a chip. Ones that don't have a chip will stop working soon. 

I've got a chip card but only 4 digit pin (Bangkok Bank) and not due for renewal until well into next year.  Is that likely to give me problems?

Archived