Siam Commercial ATM Card - 6 Digit Pin

23 minutes ago, treetops said:

I've got a chip card but only 4 digit pin (Bangkok Bank) and not due for renewal until well into next year.  Is that likely to give me problems?

If you have the ATM with Visa debit card from Bangkok Bank, then it will only work until the end of the year. 

On 10/29/2019 at 11:05 AM, YT3k72Em said:

Some banks still use 4 digit pins, and some 6.  New cards will have a chip. Ones that don't have a chip will stop working soon. 

I don't think any new card from any bank still has a 4-digit pin. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2019 at 7:27 AM, VBF said:

@khunPer

Can you provide a link to that please. My SCB card (which does work in UK) is the old 4 digit type and I'm not going to Thailand until end of January 2020.

Presumably, that means the card WON'T work when I arrive and I'll have to go to the bank with passport and bank book to get a new one?

Annoying but not too difficult but I would like to know for sure (if possible) :unsure:

@Chivas

My card was also issued in 2016 so your experience would be of interest. 

Presumably I'm going to have to pay for my new card if I replace the old one after Jan 2020.

Do you think you could enquire about that please and post here?

@Chivas did you ever go to SCB and ask the questions to which we referred?

I'm bumping this thread because I have tried to find a way to contact SCB other than telephone. On the SCBEasy site, there doesn't seem to be a "Contact us" link.

Does anyone have an email address?

What I want to ask them is as follows:

I have a HIP card issued in 2016 which requires 4 digits to use in an ATM. I ONLY use the card to get cash from ATMs

I understand that this card will no longer work soon and I shall need to get a new card with 6 digits

IS THAT Correct???

WHAT DATE will my card stop working?

I’m in England and not coming to Thailand until sometime in 2020 but I don’t know when as yet

Will my existing 4-digit card work when I arrive??

If not, How do I get a new card???

Is the money in the account still safe – can I go to a SCB branch and take money out until I get a new card?

I also have Bank cards issued in England with just 4 digits – will they still work in SCB ATMs?

Can anyone offer definitive answers (not rumours PLEASE) to these questions?

Depending on the replies will help me decide whether to send money to my SCB account just before I eventually do return to Thailand. 

14 hours ago, VBF said:

@Chivas did you ever go to SCB and ask the questions to which we referred?

I'm bumping this thread because I have tried to find a way to contact SCB other than telephone. On the SCBEasy site, there doesn't seem to be a "Contact us" link.

Does anyone have an email address?

What I want to ask them is as follows:

I have a HIP card issued in 2016 which requires 4 digits to use in an ATM. I ONLY use the card to get cash from ATMs

I understand that this card will no longer work soon and I shall need to get a new card with 6 digits

IS THAT Correct???

I’m in England and not coming to Thailand until sometime in 2020 but I don’t know when as yet

Will my existing 4-digit card work when I arrive??

If not, How do I get a new card???

Is the money in the account still safe – can I go to a SCB branch and take money out until I get a new card?

I also have Bank cards issued in England with just 4 digits – will they still work in SCB ATMs?

Can anyone offer definitive answers (not rumours PLEASE) to these questions?

Depending on the replies will help me decide whether to send money to my SCB account just before I eventually do return to Thailand. 

My extreme apologies. I literally forgot all about it have just returned from Thailand where the 4 digit pin worked normally. If it had rejected it obviously that would have jogged my memory.

I have rung SCB before in the past. Am sure must be a number somewhere still

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

My extreme apologies. I literally forgot all about it have just returned from Thailand where the 4 digit pin worked normally. If it had rejected it obviously that would have jogged my memory.

@Chivas Thanks for replying anyway..... thing is, it's sometime next year that the need for a 6-digit PIN might become an issue. I have a phone number for SCB but as I said above, "I'm bumping this thread because I have tried to find a way to contact SCB other than telephone."  Don't really want to phone a Thailand call centre from here in UK!

40 minutes ago, VBF said:

@Chivas Thanks for replying anyway..... thing is, it's sometime next year that the need for a 6-digit PIN might become an issue. I have a phone number for SCB but as I said above, "I'm bumping this thread because I have tried to find a way to contact SCB other than telephone."  Don't really want to phone a Thailand call centre from here in UK!

Its only 6p a minute to Thailand from UK (my network anyway).....I cant remember why I rang before but option to connect to English speaker who I recall was excellent

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Why not just check their website?

There are several ways to contact SCB:

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/contact-scb.html

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Received SMS from SCB stating my 'Hip' card without a chip would not work from 16/1/20.

I have used this email to contact SCB but they can be slow to reply(2-3 days).

[email protected]

Hope this helps

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

I've just emailed to ask.....will update upon response

That would be very helpful @Chivas Thank you.

Did you use the address @PREM-R suggested   [email protected] ?

When I see YOUR response, I'll send a similar email with all the questions I asked in #38 above - see if i get the same replies and answers to my other questions.......remember...TIT ????  UPDATE... Just sent one anyway!

Thanks also to the others who've made helpful suggestions ????

On 12/10/2019 at 10:44 PM, VBF said:

I received an sms from SCB.

It said as of 16th january 2020 your card will no longer work,please come to any branch with passbook and replace card. 

Sorry already been addressed.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, VBF said:

That would be very helpful @Chivas Thank you.

Did you use the address @PREM-R suggested   [email protected] ?

When I see YOUR response, I'll send a similar email with all the questions I asked in #38 above - see if i get the same replies and answers to my other questions.......remember...TIT ????  UPDATE... Just sent one anyway!

Thanks also to the others who've made helpful suggestions ????

Email received back.....no mention of anything about 6 digit pin at all despite me asking about it specifically. I think its referring to the old "hip" cards that will stop working.....

"Thank you for your interest in our services and so sorry if we got back to you so late.

We would like to confirm that from 16 January 2020 onward, your normal ATM or Debit Card without microchip will not be able to use. You can request new chip card via SCB Easy App or contact any SCB Branches with your passport and passbook. Card issuing fee will be waived until 15 January 2020"

If you have got more questions or comments about SCB products and services, please do not hesitate to contact us at 0-2777-7777 or visit our web site at http://csc.scb.co.th.  

Best Regards,  

SCB Easy Call Center  

0-2777-7777

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Email received back.....no mention of anything about 6 digit pin at all despite me asking about it specifically. I think its referring to the old "hip" cards that will stop working.....

"Thank you for your interest in our services and so sorry if we got back to you so late.

We would like to confirm that from 16 January 2020 onward, your normal ATM or Debit Card without microchip will not be able to use. You can request new chip card via SCB Easy App or contact any SCB Branches with your passport and passbook. Card issuing fee will be waived until 15 January 2020"

If you have got more questions or comments about SCB products and services, please do not hesitate to contact us at 0-2777-7777 or visit our web site at http://csc.scb.co.th.  

Best Regards,  

SCB Easy Call Center  

0-2777-7777

Thanks @Chivas I think you're right. I'm still awaiting a reply to MY email (sent after yours of course) in which I asked the same questions plus a couple more (see #38)

If I have to pay the card issuing fee, so be it, as long as my money's safe and I have cash (Baht or UKP) on me when I arrive....which I always do.

10 hours ago, VBF said:

Thanks @Chivas I think you're right. I'm still awaiting a reply to MY email (sent after yours of course) in which I asked the same questions plus a couple more (see #38)

If I have to pay the card issuing fee, so be it, as long as my money's safe and I have cash (Baht or UKP) on me when I arrive....which I always do.

lol I asked them to actually answer my query rather than going off at a tangent. They now have lol completely trying to save  face over previous answer.....now we have

"Thank you for your interest in our services and

so sorry if we got back to you so late.

Once again , as per our last e-mail (no you didnt lol) mention that card with no chip ( 4 Digits Pin ) will no longer use from 16th January 2020 onward.

You can make new replacement chip card ( 6 Digits Pin ) at any SCB's branch with passport ,passbook and the old active ATM card together.

If you have got more questions or comments about SCB products and

services, please do not hesitate to contact us at 0-2777-7777 or visit our web site at http://csc.scb.co.th.

Best Regards,

SCB Easy Call Center

0-2777-7777

......................................................................................

So seems clear that existing debit cards will not work after 16/01 and need to switch and pay for new card in branch

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

lol I asked them to actually answer my query rather than going off at a tangent. They now have lol completely trying to save  face over previous answer.....now we have

"Thank you for your interest in our services and

so sorry if we got back to you so late.

Once again , as per our last e-mail (no you didnt lol) mention that card with no chip ( 4 Digits Pin ) will no longer use from 16th January 2020 onward.

You can make new replacement chip card ( 6 Digits Pin ) at any SCB's branch with passport ,passbook and the old active ATM card together.

If you have got more questions or comments about SCB products and

services, please do not hesitate to contact us at 0-2777-7777 or visit our web site at http://csc.scb.co.th.

Best Regards,

SCB Easy Call Center

0-2777-7777

......................................................................................

So seems clear that existing debit cards will not work after 16/01 and need to switch and pay for new card in branch

As ever....left hand meet right hand!

Thanks for keeping the thread going ????

What also seems clear is that the non-chip, 4-digit cards (like my HIP) are the affected cards and that all new ones will have a chip and will require a 6-digit PIN.

I presume  @Chivas that you'll now be in the same position as me when you next return to Thailand and have to go and get a new card and pay for it.

I won't be there until the end of January at the earliest - when do you  think you're that likely to be there? I doubt there'll be any problems with the money in the account but there's always that nagging doubt when Thais start changing systems!

Might be handy if whichever of us gets there first, and goes to get a new card, posts here whatever happens, plus, if/when I get a reply to my email, I'll post that here too.

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

As ever....left hand meet right hand!

Thanks for keeping the thread going ????

What also seems clear is that the non-chip, 4-digit cards (like my HIP) are the affected cards and that all new ones will have a chip and will require a 6-digit PIN.

I presume  @Chivas that you'll now be in the same position as me when you next return to Thailand and have to go and get a new card and pay for it.

I won't be there until the end of January at the earliest - when do you  think you're that likely to be there? I doubt there'll be any problems with the money in the account but there's always that nagging doubt when Thais start changing systems!

Might be handy if whichever of us gets there first, and goes to get a new card, posts here whatever happens, plus, if/when I get a reply to my email, I'll post that here too.

Why should there be any problem with your account just because your ATM card expires? Just go to your bank and get a new card when you're able to do it. I hope you can afford ~300 baht. This is a non-issue. Every bank in Thailand will  (probably) only have the new smart chipped cards with a 6 digit pin-code 2020. The old cards with the magnetic stripe and the 4 digit pin are not secure enough. That's the reason for the change. Have you never had an ATM card or a debit card replaced before? 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Why should there be any problem with your account just because your ATM card expires? Just go to your bank and get a new card when you're able to do it. I hope you can afford ~300 baht. This is a non-issue. Every bank in Thailand will  (probably) only have the new smart chipped cards with a 6 digit pin-code 2020. The old cards with the magnetic stripe and the 4 digit pin are not secure enough. That's the reason for the change. Have you never had an ATM card or a debit card replaced before? 

I quite agree in principle - it's just my natural paranoia I guess because before my next trip, I shall want to transfer enough funds for a 2-3 month stay and would rather not have any problems. To correct you...this SHOULD be a non-issue, but TIT ????

Oddly though, despite agreeing about the security issues, all my UK cards are chip & PIN but all are 4-digit PINS with no sign of that changing any time soon. Odd that Thailand would go the extra mile, so to speak.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:22 PM, kralledr said:

yes it does

But do you have to request SCB to allow ATM withdrawals in specific countries?

I checked this with another Thai mainstream bank a few months back. Lucky I did because I discovered I needed to arrange for my ATM card to access ATMs in xxxx.

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But do you have to request SCB to allow ATM withdrawals in specific countries?

I checked this with another Thai mainstream bank a few months back. Lucky I did because I discovered I needed to arrange for my ATM card to access ATMs in xxxx.

See posts #15 to #18

4 hours ago, VBF said:

I quite agree in principle - it's just my natural paranoia I guess because before my next trip, I shall want to transfer enough funds for a 2-3 month stay and would rather not have any problems. To correct you...this SHOULD be a non-issue, but TIT ????

Oddly though, despite agreeing about the security issues, all my UK cards are chip & PIN but all are 4-digit PINS with no sign of that changing any time soon. Odd that Thailand would go the extra mile, so to speak.

When under big pressure from the Bank of Thailand.

And I've heard before of other countries threatening to boycott 'transactions' with Thai banks if they don't upgrade their banking security situation. I could name 2 offshore banks who did make such threat and one bank did withdraw from Thailand (not a big player in Thailand) about 3 years back. I'm not going to mention names. 

5 hours ago, VBF said:

An expired ATM/Debit card doesn't affect money in your account or transfers. It's just a useless piece of plastic. You'll get a new card in 15 min at your local branch. 

Archived