The custom of owning firearms

zhounan

The amount of firearms and other weapons generally own and used if declared would be frightening. It is so common in rural Thailand and so easy to obtain.

Just look at the frequency in the news of road rage incidents involving weapons.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zhounan said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Perhaps it's time to reconsider your 'circle of friends'.

16 minutes ago, zhounan said:

actually "friend" is an abused word. Not directly my friends 

Understand. 'Friend' has, in fact become an abused and overused word throughout social media.

Especially Facebook, for I have zero tolerance nowadays.

When I read @OneMoreFarang post above, I can easily relate to his sentiments on this. I've handled weapons a lot, I was in the military, it goes with the territory. However, as I was in a technical branch, I was never called upon to use one in anger, thank goodness.

But do know and can still recall that feeling one gets when a firearm is in your hands. There is a subtle change in your psyche. And just as he describes, the fantasy, that feeling of power begins to arise.

I'm firmly against all personal gun ownership, unless for legitimate sports or hunting use. And even that I have trepidation about.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, zhounan said:

Given the daily brainwashing of the population by the security forces, don't you think it's worrying the proliferation of weapons and the mentality of the firearm that is emerging among all the social classes in Thailand?

Are you really for real or has your life bubble burst .????

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 11:12 AM, Puchaiyank said:

We live in dangerous times.  Thugs, are armed. It would be better to be prepared to protect yourself and your family should the need arise...than to passively allow thugs to destroy you and your family's lives...

parnoid cliche. I think times are probably safer now but anyway gun owners are more likely to shoot themselves or their families...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

parnoid cliche. I think times are probably safer now but anyway gun owners are more likely to shoot themselves or their families...

Would you please give us your references stating that people are safer now...and statistics that support your contention that gun owners are more likely to shoot themselves or their families?  We will be anxiously waiting your reply...

Pulling info out of your axx is not an acceptable reference...????

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Would you please give us your references stating that people are safer now...and statistics that support your contention that gun owners are more likely to shoot themselves or their families?  We will be anxiously waiting your reply...

Pulling info out of your axx is not an acceptable reference...????

Its pretty obvious, if there is no gun in the house or anywhere nearby, no one will be shot. Its the same as saying that if there are no cars in the area no one will be run over... the difference being that cars are a necessity, guns are not. 

DAILY GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (1-17)

Every day, 21 children and teens (1-17) are shot in the United States. Among those:

• 4 die from gun violence
  • 2 are murdered
  • 17 children and teens survive gun injuries
  • 8 are injured in an attack
  • 2 children and teens either die from suicide or survive a suicide attempt
  • 8 children and teens are shot instances of family fire — a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home resulting in injury or death

https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 3:30 PM, OneMoreFarang said:
On 10/27/2019 at 3:12 PM, Puchaiyank said:

We live in dangerous times.  Thugs, are armed. It would be better to be prepared to protect yourself and your family should the need arise...than to passively allow thugs to destroy you and your family's lives...

So how do you think you would handle this? If you hear a noise from a possible thug at night do you take your gun out and aim and kill him? Or do you warn him first? And are you really prepared to pull that trigger and kill the intruder? How would you react if the intruder has a knife but you don't see a gun?

Or on the other side what would you do if your neighbor shouts at your wife or daughter some dirty words? Would you take your gun and tell him to shut up?

Maybe you have answers to all these questions. My point is I am sure there are lots of difficult situations which possibly get more difficult if guns are involved.

Indeed... and then you have this... 

A veteran Police officer shot his son after mistaking him for an intruder.... (fortunately, only in the arm)... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/police-officer-shot-son-texas-desoto-department-a9174626.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... and then you have this... 

A veteran Police officer shot his son after mistaking him for an intruder.... (fortunately, only in the arm)... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/police-officer-shot-son-texas-desoto-department-a9174626.html

Many statistics and studies support the value of guns in personal protection...the CDC managed to get the government to band the reporting of any such information.

This is the results of just one study conducted in the 1990s:

"approximately 1,570 murders; 4,177 rapes; and over 60,000 aggravated assaults would have been avoided yearly.”

https://www.capitalismmagazine.com/2019/04/how-many-lives-are-saved-by-guns-and-why-dont-gun-controllers-care/

Your welcome.  ????

On 10/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Muzzle Flash - [..] the fireball is just immense. [..] In short, you'll be blinded for some time after firing a shot, if it makes you feel any better so will be the assailant. Now imagine 2 persons with the guns and half blinded with the flash...

That would be shooting when it's dark, during daytime you won't notice it. The flash is because they have to use a slow burning gunpowder in those kind of weapons.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, Lacessit said:

I am a former gun owner. I used to enjoy camping and hunting in Australia. In Thailand, I don't feel the need to own one in Thailand, even if I was allowed to.

I do find the fascination with large calibre and automatic weapons somewhat amusing. IMO they are dick extensions. Why use an elephant gun to hunt rabbits? Go the whole hog, and put an Abrams tank to work.

Ah dude that big hunting stuff is fun though, sort of a connection to more genteel times. Plus you have to feed them which means make your own ammo. Then you are getting nicely technical as you are well aware sort of like tying flies or putting.

And try and keep the Grand Old Lady of No Mans Land fed and watered in its original configuration. Thank god for Isahapore! Lets see in the US you have a minimum of $50,000 in the gun and accesories and to torch it off at 50 cents a round costs you $300 a minute. 

My fav was a Lahti Anti Tank rifle. The bullets and casing were hand turned on a lathe. I myself was a recognized expert in in loading Mark I .455 Webleys and the infamous 7.62 Nagant Gas Seal Revolver. Sadly, I have moved to cameras and wallowing.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

That would be shooting when it's dark, during daytime you won't notice it. The flash is because they have to use a slow burning gunpowder in those kind of weapons.

Dude you will notice the muzzle flash of any big bore handgun in the daytime. And you can load many of the larger hanguns using fast powders like WW296 or even Unique (or VN110 in Europe) although you are correct that there usually is a larger flash from a slow burner, depending of course on the lad and barrel legnth.

I personally found the Desert eagle brand of big bore handguns to be virtually useless for any purpose beyond that of toy, loading for or collecting, although I know guys that carried them for Bear Protection.

57 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ah dude that big hunting stuff is fun though, sort of a connection to more genteel times. Plus you have to feed them which means make your own ammo. Then you are getting nicely technical as you are well aware sort of like tying flies or putting.

And try and keep the Grand Old Lady of No Mans Land fed and watered in its original configuration. Thank god for Isahapore! Lets see in the US you have a minimum of $50,000 in the gun and accesories and to torch it off at 50 cents a round costs you $300 a minute. 

My fav was a Lahti Anti Tank rifle. The bullets and casing were hand turned on a lathe. I myself was a recognized expert in in loading Mark I .455 Webleys and the infamous 7.62 Nagant Gas Seal Revolver. Sadly, I have moved to cameras and wallowing.

Another Australian idiom for you. Stirring the possum. Your rough equivalent is probably poking the bear. If I can mix metaphors, I'm not biting. Good try, though.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Do you take them out behind the dumpster then?

Every night, before I get into bed with my GF. I wouldn't want to hurt her.

Excuse me, but what has this got to do with owning firearms?

14 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Many statistics and studies support the value of guns in personal protection...the CDC managed to get the government to band the reporting of any such information.

This is the results of just one study conducted in the 1990s:

"approximately 1,570 murders; 4,177 rapes; and over 60,000 aggravated assaults would have been avoided yearly.”

https://www.capitalismmagazine.com/2019/04/how-many-lives-are-saved-by-guns-and-why-dont-gun-controllers-care/

Your welcome.  ????

Approximately 1570 murders Would could have been avoided had the victim been in the possession of a Gun... 

In the US in 2017 there were 39,773 deaths by firearm, of which 23,854 were by suicide and 14,542 were homicides.

So.. while your guns are could have saved 1570 people from being murderered, another 39,773 people were killed by a gun.

12.21 People per 100,000 were killed by a Gun in the US in 2017

0.23 People per 100,000 were killed by a Gun in the UK in 2017

0.9 People per 100,000 were killed by a Gun in the Australia in 2017

I know stats don't tell the whole story - but these stats are damning of a country with pathetic gun control laws. 

Another argument seems flawed regarding aggravated assaults. Had both the assailant and victim been carrying a gun the homicide stats would be elevated even more, by as many as 60,000 !!!

The only valid arguments that could ever be presented by someone in support of guns is that Pandoras Box has been opened - there are already too many guns on the street etc, however, as exampled by Australia, this is a reversible issue. 

• Thanks 1