Cattle markets closed throughout Khon Kaen after outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease

webfact

Cattle markets closed throughout Khon Kaen after outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease

3pm2.jpg

Picture: PPTV

The governor of Khon Kaen province in Thailand's north east has ordered the closure of all cattle markets for the entire month of November. 

The action by Somsak Jangtrakun follows the discovery of the disease in three of the main districts that have cattle farming - Muang, Kranuan and Nam Phong districts. 

All markets across 26 districts will be shut. 

Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) is a highly contagious viral disease of cattle and swine that can spread very quickly. 

Source: PPTV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-28

Foot and mouth is bad enough. Huge pork price rises are coming soon in the wake of swine flu which has already decimated 25% of the global pig population with no sign of stopping, and with no cure as yet the swine epidemic is far from over. In turn it  will inevitably lead to higher demand and prices for all other protein sources, namely chicken, beef and lamb. 

Good time to start an insect farm i reckon. 

I dont know if the declared Foot and Mouth i the same as the kind of disease we have experienced in previous years in the Uk.

If it is ( IF ) then closing a few Markets will be futile.

This disease is rampant, and just one infected animal in a herd in the UK means the Slaughter and burning of the entire herd.

There are other measures, such as Disinfectant washes, Quarantine of the infected Farms, and the total ban on all Livestock movements, as well as others. 

Thailand would do well here to contact expert s in this Disease, because if incorrect measures are introduced and too slowly, the Disease will be Nationwide in a few days.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor of Khon Kaen province in Thailand's north east has ordered the closure of all cattle markets for the entire month of November.

So the farmers will take them elsewhere & spread the disease further?

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yup !

Thats why all movements of Animals ( infected or Not ) is  Law, and banned in the UK

I also think the disease can lay dormant for 3 Months or more (but I could be wrong )

This really is a biggy.

I lived through this in the UK. I lost everything and received zero compensation when farmers were making a fortune (yes there were farmers pouring boiling water on their sheep's/animals hooves) . I was being a good guy and not taking my horses out, signs were put up at the end of my road telling people not to enter the area so my students could not enter, then farmers stop selling hay etc. I was teaching a young girl on her dad's farm and I asked him if he was worried his reply "hell no, I just bought a new tractor." I can't remember the exact price but it was over £100k. Thailand will be decimated. Farming of livestock finished and the knock on effect milk etc will be dyer. I think Thailand will pretend all is OK then start crying when their exports are banned. 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

If they use similar containment policies as other countries then transportation of any livestock is also completely banned, no exceptions not even down the road to another paddock or yard.

My heart goes out to you Scot.

Many people in the UK suffered major Financial hardships over Foot and Mouth, And one of the Sectors hit really hard was Tourism.

Not only will Thailand have restrictions put upon then as far as Exports of Farm Meat Products go, they will also probably have issues over Tourists entering restricted areas ( if they are restricted ) 

Tourists tramping all over the infected areas will only spread the disease quicker.

Thailand has a real issue here with this, and I suspect they really dont know what they are dealing with.

Farming really could be decimated here when the Export of all Beef, Pork and other cloven hoofed Animals is banned. and yes the Family Buffalo will probably be culled.

I was living in UK during foot and mouth, and mad cow disease issues during 1987-89.. And Australian Red Cross still won't take a blood donation from me 30 years on.. I'm banned for life from donating..

My last 4.5 years have been in Thailand and haven't bothered trying to donate here. This could be a very serious issue for Thailand, and I believe was rampant in Laos recently as well.. 

13 hours ago, englishoak said:

Foot and mouth is bad enough. Huge pork price rises are coming soon in the wake of swine flu which has already decimated 25% of the global pig population with no sign of stopping, and with no cure as yet the swine epidemic is far from over. In turn it  will inevitably lead to higher demand and prices for all other protein sources, namely chicken, beef and lamb. 

Good time to start an insect farm i reckon. 

Looks like they don't have foot and mouth disease in Western Australia 

they seem to have the Big Disease, and yes this is not photo shopped.

knickers.png

knickers_the_cow.0.jpg

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Looks like they don't have foot and mouth disease in Western Australia 

they seem to have the Big Disease, and yes this is not photo shopped.

knickers.png

knickers_the_cow.0.jpg

Yea ive seen that, similar program going on in China and giant swine.... ( google it ).. problem is they arnt any more resistant to classic FMD or Swine Flu either and if you have a few of those big beauties and one goes down thats a lot of investment lost in one animal. I do question the tenderness of such beefcakes i must admit.

That there isnt much interest in this thread just shows how easy it is to overlook real dangers lurking out there that can decimate an economy in short order.  

Its a topic that I guess us Brits like Scott are more aware of than most having gone through it first hand. 

On 10/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, webfact said:

It's good but unfortunately very far from enough.

It is the whole province that must be closed very quickly otherwise all Thailand will be infected in very few days.
Contamination occurs through exhaled air, sperm, urine, feces, saliva, unpasteurized milk, frozen meat too early after slaughter (prior to acidification with ripening).
The virus is very resistant in the external environment. The contamination is also done indirectly, through any object that has been in contact with the virus (clothing and skin of people in contact with animals, vehicles, stagnant water, food debris that have not been cooked as well. dietary supplements containing infected animal products ...).

On land it spreads by air within a radius of 10 kilometers

17 hours ago, owenm said:

I was living in UK during foot and mouth, and mad cow disease issues during 1987-89.. And Australian Red Cross still won't take a blood donation from me 30 years on.. I'm banned for life from donating..

My last 4.5 years have been in Thailand and haven't bothered trying to donate here. This could be a very serious issue for Thailand, and I believe was rampant in Laos recently as well.. 

You're conflating two different diseases. Living in a country where foot and mouth disease is present has nothing to do with being accepted for blood donation.

Foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) is caused by a virus that only infects cloven-hooved animals. 

[...]

FMD is an animal health disease. It has no significant health impacts on humans. 

Foot and mouth disease

According to one of the National Newspapers ( online Monday ) the Markets were not going to close until the first of November, and then just for One month.

If that is the case, then the Disease will already be spreading across the whole Country at an alarming rate.

It will already have 1 week start on control measures.

20 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Years ago when i used to visits the local market in my Khon Kaen area,every truck had their license plate taken and you paid a fee for the amount of animals onboard so they should have some tracking ability.

Tracking of the truck could possibly be monitored, but its the Livestock that need to be tracked or Quarantined

Its partly the reason Animals are Ear Tagged from birth in the UK . The Animal can then be tracked its entire life , right up to slaughter.

20 hours ago, owenm said:

I think the ban is due to BSE contact.

I could be wrong, you need to ask Oz Red Cross

Archived