Big spending Indians - 5,800 baht a day - set to revolutionize Thai tourism!

webfact

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

good, might be able to get a decent curry over here then

An affordable and quick intestine flushing ... :shock1:

How can they possibly know how much people spend. No one has ever asked me how much I have spent and if they did they might be suprized how much has been 'donated' over the years to the 'isaan cash fund' that is 'invisible' money.

Its all 'Poop del torro!'

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Need to have a few more Indians from Bradford visiting long term then. Not sure if you have ever had a curry from India, but they are different than proper British Indian curries.............:thumbsup:

That might be because 90% of Indian curry houses in England are run by Bangladeshis.

Rooster

14 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:
4 hours ago, Thian said:

When Indians get scammed they open their mouth and won't give up....that will be fun the coming years.

Yes, the thais have met their match there !

No the indians go much further, they can bargain untill the thai has to give up...And also they can complain like a real boss who owns the city...

Well i'm glad the indians are coming, they do speak english so the thai have to choose which language to learn, english or chinese.

Also it's time for thailand to become more international about food, asia has soo much different food to offer but most of it isn't for sale in thailand. 

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And the usual mystery: where does this figure come from? There's no source or raw data available to public as far as I have seen.

Probably the Chinese and Indians are making fake receipts to get a fraudulent VAT refund. 

Seriously if I hear one more cliche Im gonna puke! one beer 4 straws is so year 2000!

some facts

According to the recent study, Indian tourists are among the world's highest spenders per visit made abroad, with visitors spend expected to increase from $23 billion in 2018 to $45 billion by 2022.

Thats in line with OP predictions regarding forward projection

https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/destination-of-the-week/indians-spend-most-when-travel-abroad-5451345/

4 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Ridiculous numbers, Chins spending where, 6400 b a day, paid to Chinese tourist company only

I read the article and at first I thought it was a joke - tongue in cheek but now im not so sure and where have you ever seen an Indian spend 5,800 bt per day...yes a family of 14 might just do that

5 hours ago, Thomas J said:

$5,800 thb per day.  They must have forgot to mention that it includes a family of 14.  I owned a retail furniture store in the USA.  They would not spend $5,800 THB on a complete living room sofa, love seat, and coffee table set. 

Why would they if they were on holiday?

9 minutes ago, Dice Man said:

I read the article and at first I thought it was a joke - tongue in cheek but now im not so sure and where have you ever seen an Indian spend 5,800 bt per day...yes a family of 14 might just do that

The used to stay in that hotel next to the erawan shrine...and that costs near the 5800 a day i guess.

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Need to have a few more Indians from Bradford visiting long term then. Not sure if you have ever had a curry from India, but they are different than proper British Indian curries.............:thumbsup:

Lol!  Although I'm not from there (St Helens lad back then), I worked in the Leeds & Bradford area for quite a few years.  They would bring various gifts (e.g. Samosas).  They were lovely and I was amazed how it was nothing at all like what you get in an Indian restaurant.  They don't eat what they sell us ???? 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

It's almost sickening the way Thailand treats tourists as mere cash revenue, instead of welcoming visitors to the country!

To be honest I imagine most countries view tourism as a nice little earner. The difference being that the enlightened tourist boards recognise the importance of return custom and make sure standards of service and infrastructure are upheld.

Thailand seems to believe that it has a divine right to ever increasing levels of visitors and all it need do is produce a catchy slogan once in a while.

Spain had a similar arrogant attitude to tourism right until it fell off a cliff , it took a decade to recover.

Thailand currently offers less as a destination than previously , it also now has increasing regional competition.

Its historic teflon tag offers no guarantee for tommorow, a sharp downturn in tourism is as likely as the bright future TAT boasts of.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

Big spending Indians - 5,800 baht a day - set to revolutionize Thai tourism!

and this morning saw 6 of them( 3 couples) trying to negotiate down a Tuk Tuk ride to a local Tesco/Lotus shop, normal ride costs 500 baht for up to 4 people, they were 6 and try to pay 400 baht

tuk-tuk is the three-wheeler that is less comfortable yet more expensive than a taxi, isn't it.
Only 500 B, that sounds like about 20 km or more in local prices. 

Time for some simple maths.

Lets assume their average spend is indeed 5800 baht a day, as claimed.

But now lets propose the average stay is 7 days, because like the Chinese they come on short tours. If the air ticket averages 14000 baht and the hotel is 1000 a day, say, then the real spending is now 2800 a day. But I imagine they are also charged for airport transit and their daily shuttling back and forth to the zoo etc. Now the real local spending might start falling below 2000. Not so impressive now is it.

And if the actual spending isnt even the claimed 5800, then were talking the seriously stingy lot that we have actually been seeing.

Meanwhile, the government and immigration continue to drive away Westerners many of whom really are spending 5800 a day, not including tickets, for more like 7 weeks than 7 days, and on local businesses.

I will say one thing for Thailand...it does stupid like no other country on the planet.

58 baht per day is more like haha as indians contribute nothing very little spend money in thailand as i see and i have been going there for over  20 years and all they do is walk and walk and walk . What total rubbish where do all these fantasists in TAT appear from ? me i will be in vietnam and the philippine beaches in future more value for money than thailand now for sure and cleaner also .

32 minutes ago, Thian said:

No the indians go much further, they can bargain untill the thai has to give up...And also they can complain like a real boss who owns the city...

Well i'm glad the indians are coming, they do speak english so the thai have to choose which language to learn, english or chinese.

Also it's time for thailand to become more international about food, asia has soo much different food to offer but most of it isn't for sale in thailand. 

It is Thailand so of course Thai food should dominate the menu,

The arrogance of expecting a country to change its tongue to English is beyond belief, (since the second largest "mother tongue" is Spanish) why cannot the farang here at least have a working understanding of Thai, and there are very good translation apps for short term tourists.

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

It is Thailand so of course Thai food should dominate the menu,

The arrogance of expecting a country to change its tongue to English is beyond belief, (since the second largest "mother tongue" is Spanish) why cannot the farang here at least have a working understanding of Thai, and there are very good translation apps for short term tourists.

Expecting the customer to adapt is one of the biggest reasons businesses fail. 

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, what? I spend way more than 5,800 baht per day when on holiday. However, my holiday is usually 5-6 weeks, and I don't spend it on Phuket anymore, but on the Gold Coast or in Vietnam where I feel welcome...

I was thinking the same. Less than $200 usd per day on vacation is a lot? Where do they stay in a popup tent?

Archived