Cancel WP

Some ignoramus at the labour department  said I cant cancel my WP by myself. Does anyone happen to have the official form in Thai saying that I can?

I can only find one in English.

Also, can I cancel my WP on the last day of my contract, or the day after?

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

You can cancel it yourself on the first day AFTER your employment finished. Everything else is rubbish - I've done it myself in Din Daeng ???? 

I read on one form that it had to be cancelled  on the last day if work.

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I read on one form that it had to be cancelled  on the last day if work.

I did it a day later to make sure that I was in line with my employment contract. 

With my WP cancelled on the last working day I would have, technically, not been able to work to the end of my contract (one day short). It was a Thai company and they were not too happy when I left so I had to play it safely and according to the book. 

53 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I did it a day later to make sure that I was in line with my employment contract. 

With my WP cancelled on the last working day I would have, technically, not been able to work to the end of my contract (one day short). It was a Thai company and they were not too happy when I left so I had to play it safely and according to the book. 

Interesting, thanks.

Some say their Visa becomes invalid on the last day of their contract.

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Do we still only have permission to stay for 7 days after the WP is cancelled.

You have no days after your extension of stay is canceled unless you apply for a extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country. A WP cancelation does not automatically cancel your extension which can only be done at a immigration office.

Only the one stop center for BOI companies and etc give 7 days now.

Companies in general don't understand the difference between visas and extensions. In the past when there was a lot of expats coming 'in' to work on O&G projects they were on NonB extensions. In those cases their extensions and WP's were cancelled (or should have been) by the company. 

I've worked under the non O based on being married and after, at the start, convincing companies it was allowed to get a WP on the non O I had to, at the end of the contract, convince the company they couldn't cancel my visa or extension. At times I got so wound up with it I was tempted to stamp 'cancelled' on my WP before handing it back, never did it though.

If the labour office are now saying you must cancel it yourself look at it in a different way. Perhaps they want to ensure that the company is not just cutting your feet out from underneath you. Suddenly one day you have no WP, no extension and 7 days to leave and you haven't been served proper notice or paid severance etc and all you are due from the company/school whatever.

Just a different way to look at it.

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting, thanks.

Some say their Visa becomes invalid on the last day of their contract.

The visa is a different thing (but can be connected to the Work Permit) - get it from the horse's mouth and ask the labour department which is responsible for your area. Ask the officer - answering your questions - for his/her name and you should be OK. 

Some visas are linked to a work permit, others are not. So be careful, wrong interpretation can put you into uncomfortable waters in the Land of no common sense ???? 

19 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Some visas are linked to a work permit, others are not. So be careful, wrong interpretation can put you into uncomfortable waters in the Land of no common sense

No visa issued by a embassy or consulate is tied to a work permit or being employed.

Only a extension of stay based upon working or teaching issued by immigration is tied to being employed and having a work permit.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:35 AM, ubonjoe said:

No visa issued by a embassy or consulate is tied to a work permit or being employed.

Only a extension of stay based upon working or teaching issued by immigration is tied to being employed and having a work permit.

A visa is a pre-screening by an embassy or consulate, the definite decision to enter Thailand is upon the immigration.

For a work permit application you need a non-B visa (issued by an overseas representation) which has a certain validity (3 months?). The juggling was - in the past - always, what is extended first and how long. The visa as long as the work permit and the work permit as long as the visa. 

I got a permanent residence in 1988 and ever since all this is (luckily) past glory but a non-B visa, applied for and issued by an overseas representation based on the reason of "taking up work" is cancelled once the work permit is returned ........ unless this has changed!

As said, get it from the horse's mouth; they make the rules and they decide!