Methylphenidate / Ritalin cost in Bangkok

kidcosmique

I am prescribed Methylphenidate 3 x 20mg per day and I arrive in Bangkok next month with a 30 day supply and my prescription as is allowed by customs. I pay for these £9 in UK per month, as per the NHS charge. I need to find a supply in Bangkok to continue my medication, as I pretty much depend on it. I have reached out to a few hospitals in Bangkok asking for a visit and the potential cost, and frankly I am shocked at the high prices. So far I've been quoted as follows:

- Samitivej 130-140 THB per 20mg Ritalin tablet, so 12,600 THB per month 

- MedConsult Clinic - Ritalin 10 mg 25 THB per tab (1 strip / 10 tabs), so 4,500 THB (also available Ritalin LA 20 mg is 85 THB per tab, not interested)

- Manarom - Ritalin (10mg) available, price TBC

- Bangkok Hospital - Ritalin 10 mg 31 THB, Ritalin LA 20 mg 96 THB.

So so far MedConsult Clinic is the cheapest but still quite expensive. I've seen people quote prices for less than 1,000 THB for a months supply, or 4 THB per tab. I wonder how can I achieve this? Can having a private insurance program like Muang Thai or Aetna help in lowering the cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Mission accomplished. I managed to buy a supply at MedConsult at the price as shown above plus doctor fees, overall coming up to 5,500 THB. Really smooth operation. After that I tried my luck at Somdet government hospital with the help of Google Translate, and was told that they actually don't stock it anymore as methylphenidate was banned by the hospital due to patient abuse (?). However, they did point me into the direction of a government hospital I haven't heard of before - Siriraj.

After getting myself over to Siriraj and inside trying to work out where I should go using Google Translate on signs and in conversations with the staff I very quickly managed to register myself at the hospital, obtain a patient card, get a visit with a doctor and get a prescription for 2,400 THB all in, in about an hour! Having heard of long waits and problems communicating horror stories on this forum I am shocked and relieved how smooth that went. I will stick with Siriraj now as 2,400 THB is a price I can easily swallow. 

Then you did not get a GPO brand. (local generic. I don't think  one exists but what you paid was so low I thought maybe the government hospitals somehow had it).

Amazing that the govt hospital sold it so far below market price. Must be subsidized.

Archived