adult ed class for thais ??

glen

Are there any Thai adult education classes (I live in Huay Kwang) where my 40 year old Thai wife can go to learn to read and write? She left school at twelve and has very limited reading and writing skills.  Thanks,  Glen

And I have several extended family members who went to these schools (sometimes also referred to as adult high school, but I'm aware of several folks who had only completed? 3 years of primary and attened and the school have a good reputation, many are week-end only.

From my knowledge they are serious about attendance and paying attention but also ensure that it's a pleasant experience for the students, many of whom are very concerned about loss of face. 

More to the OPs post, one of my family members started and when the teachers quickly realized she couldn't read or write they quickly found another 'school' dedicated to adult literacy, which was excellent. 

54 minutes ago, glen said:

thank you Tgeezer. Her problem is she never finished primary school

I hope that she enjoys the experience. It might do you a bit of good if you could have her teach you what she learns. What a great thing to have in common on those quiet evenings when one doesn’t quite know what to talk about! 

With all respect learning to read and write Thai is a long-term process, for both kids and adults, so some good encouragement and quiet support would be worthwhile.

I just spoke to my Thai nephew who is a professor of education (totally frustrated at not being able to make many big improvements).

He mentioned that the overall Ed. ministry goals to learn to read and write Thai are:

- Simple introduction to alphabet in anuban (kinder) 2. (My third Thai granddaughter started within 2 weeks of starting anuban 1, just recently.) 

- Fully capable to read and write at 10 years of age.

The above seems reasonable when I think back to my 2 older granddaughters. 

I wonder what there might be on youtube (specific to Thai language learning). For example my second granddaughter was having difficulties with Thai language and she went to Kumon for a couple of years, with very good results, their methodology and materials are impressive, lots of excellent reinforcement with paper based homework for reinforcement and with quick excellent videos (very good for pronunciation), similar to youtube stuff, but with passwords.

Perhaps some searching might find something smilar with free access.  Or another possibility, appraoch Kumon and ask to just buy their well organized / well structured written materials with access to the videos (remembering of course the materials are aimed at kids and the the presentation very attractive to kids, but that doesn't need to be an obstacle in any way0.

I mentioned above my second granddaughter can some problems, my Thai son and his wife well educated looked for books at many shops and were quite disappointed, they did find books on stands at shopping malls etc., very inexpensive but they were instantly horrified at the numerous mistakes and at how the materials were confusing.

Good luck.

A friend sent me a very funny video on Line related to adult learning and I have found it in You Tube. 

Search You Tube for ไชโย โอป้า and look at ep. 2 

This is a site which I am sure people will like, I wish that I was capable of posting it here. 

โอป้า is a lovely lady too, I find plump comedic. 

Archived