Democrats set Thursday vote on U.S. House path in Trump impeachment probe

webfact

3 minutes ago, jm91 said:

Nice spin and diversion.  What about what about.... 

The issue is trump. Did trump commit a crime. Maybe yes maybe no. 

But the allegations are serious and there are many people who were concerned about trump's behavior  - it may have been illegal and it possibly undermined national security. 

Those need to be investigated...that is the constitutional DUTY of congress. 

Stick to the issue  Did trump commit a crime? 

Close but not exactly.

Impeachable offenses are not the same thing as crimes.

Impeaching a president is not a criminal process.

Conviction only means removal from office, not criminal prosecution. 

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Close but not exactly.

Impeachable offenses are not the same thing as crimes.

Impeaching a president is not a criminal process.

Conviction only means removal from office, not criminal prosecution. 

Sure..I agree. Impeachment is a political process - not a criminal process. 

So did trump commit an impeachable offense? and or Did he commit a crime?

Holding up previously authorized foreign aid to a foreign power so they will  investigates a political rival MIGHT be a violation of campaign finance laws - a crime. Apparently a sitting president can not be indicted - trump claims he can not even be INVESTIGATED for ANY crimes - current or past - while he is in office. 

Undermining  national security for political gain may or may not be a crime - but maybe is an impeachable offense. 

The trump loyalists IMHO are abandoning the rule of law and possibly national security in filial loyalty to the leader of the orange cult of personality. 

Congress has a DUTY to oversee the executive branch of the USA government. trump supporters seem to think that  congress doing their duty is some sort of crime. 

3 hours ago, MAGA 2020 said:

With all the witness nothing new is added that the transcripts dosen't already provide. Just who are we to believe, a Ukrainian President and the Greatest President ever in America or some 10 minutes of fame lying implanted liberal from the Kenyan Obama. My money on the two President's. The libs are in dire straits 99% up for relection and felony charges awaiting them.  The 2020 election will be a landslide in favor of President Trump. 

51 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Amen.  ????

"Amen" to a post that characterizes Obama as "Kenyan"? For some reason I can't put my finger on I have some doubts about your powers of discernment when it comes to evidence.

On a daily basis more and more Americans support impeachment. Trump is his own worst enemy. Like a 13 year old, he simply cannot leave his device alone, and there appears to be nobody in the administration or his family that can control his worst urges. If he is impeached or ends up resigning (as I am predicting) it will be his own fault.

The hazards of taking this job with an IQ of only 94, a juvenile nature, very little consciousness or awareness, and an ego the size of the very White House. 

Lock him up! 

4 hours ago, jm91 said:

Sadly you seem to think this issue is about polls. 

The issue is did trump potentially undermine national security by trying to trade foreign aid for political favors that possibly benefited himself. We don't know. But congress has a DUTY to investigate. 

Did trump commit crimes by possibly asking for a foreign power to investigate a political rival in exchange for money authorized by congress? I don't know but it should be investigated. 

It is sad to see people who supported the rule of law now saying that polls and polling data are more important than the rule of law. 

Trump has undermined national security repeatedly since becoming perhaps the second worst president in history. In many nations he would have been tried for treason and put to death already for his heinous acts and repeated betrayals of his nation and it's people. 

He is not only a traitor he is also a major coward. 

Forgetting all the toing and throwing about impeachment how can the Republicans justify the lies,false statements and childish nonsence that Trump has carried on with let alone his loyalty and fidelity to Putin and the other Russians who have no doubt financed him and bailed him out of bankruptcy many times.

He made an OATH to support and UPHOLD The Constitution of the USA.He probably can excuse himself from this on the grounds he cannot read.

29 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

Forgetting all the toing and throwing about impeachment how can the Republicans justify the lies,false statements and childish nonsence that Trump has carried on with let alone his loyalty and fidelity to Putin and the other Russians who have no doubt financed him and bailed him out of bankruptcy many times.

He made an OATH to support and UPHOLD The Constitution of the USA.He probably can excuse himself from this on the grounds he cannot read.

They are afaraid of him slandering them thus losing their chance for reelection they need to put country before party Donald doesent care about the constitution he is an opportunist and grifter he has been bilking investors and contractors for years it’s the family business 

9 hours ago, bristolboy said:

But that's just one poll.

But, but, but, but.....  ????

Ok here's another "poll" (but only since you love polls)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/new-poll-poses-serious-questions-about-dem-impeachment-drive

"Thirty-eight percent said the conversation is an impeachable offense. Twenty-one percent said the conversation was wrong but not impeachable. And 31% said there was nothing wrong with the conversation. Ten percent were undecided."

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/new-poll-poses-serious-questions-about-dem-impeachment-drive

"Thirty-eight percent said the conversation is an impeachable offense. Twenty-one percent said the conversation was wrong but not impeachable. And 31% said there was nothing wrong with the conversation. Ten percent were undecided."

Wow! I knew you'd be resistant to education but I didn't think it would be this difficult. Please review what I wrote earlier about polling aggregation.

As for the poll itself, what you didn't seem to register with you was this:

"Thirty-six percent of those polled said the House should vote to impeach, 22% said the House should continue investigation but not impeach, and 37% said the House should drop its investigations."

So 58 percent of those polled are OK with the investigation according to this poll. Let this be a lesson to you: reading only headlines, especially the headlines of a right wing rag like the Washington Examiner, isn't enough. You actually have to go in and read the text. 

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Wow! I knew you'd be resistant to education but I didn't think it would be this difficult. Please review what I wrote earlier about polling aggregation.

As for the poll itself, what you didn't seem to register with you was this:

"Thirty-six percent of those polled said the House should vote to impeach, 22% said the House should continue investigation but not impeach, and 37% said the House should drop its investigations."

So 58 percent of those polled are OK with the investigation according to this poll. Let this be a lesson to you: reading only headlines, especially the headlines of a right wing rag like the Washington Examiner, isn't enough. You actually have to go in and read the text. 

LOLLLLLLL

Take a couple of DHA fish oil capsules and read again. Let me repeat for your benefit:

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Ah, that redacted conversation, which is a part of the impeachment procedures. There is more, and hopefully the real conversation will show up.

39 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

LOLLLLLLL

Take a couple of DHA fish oil capsules and read again. Let me repeat for your benefit:

But 58% of those polled want the hearing to continue. So that means that just because some people don't think it's impeachable yet, they have an open mind about it. And do try to keep in mind that this is just one poll. Which is why aggregators are the best way to go. Unless, of course, you're so close-minded that you'll do anything, including cherry picking, to keep your mind that way.

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

If you would have read further than the part you quoted...but...well...reading and understanding are clearly two different things!

20 hours ago, MAGA 2020 said:

With all the witness nothing new is added that the transcripts dosen't already provide.

You need to keep up (and you really should have known in your gut this would happen, knowing what we all know about Trump). Lt. Colonel Vindman put a serious crimp in that statement. And with the Republicans trying every stupid tactic they could think of, these statements will become public knowledge soon. There are NO witnesses coming close to vindicating Trump. Even Steve Bannon is stating publicly Trump WILL be impeached and the Senate may not have a choice but to vote for removal with all the NEW evidence that will soon become public. Careful what you wish for, Senators!

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

On a daily basis more and more Americans support impeachment. Trump is his own worst enemy. Like a 13 year old, he simply cannot leave his device alone, and there appears to be nobody in the administration or his family that can control his worst urges. If he is impeached or ends up resigning (as I am predicting) it will be his own fault.

The hazards of taking this job with an IQ of only 94, a juvenile nature, very little consciousness or awareness, and an ego the size of the very White House. 

Lock him up! 

Yes as Thanksgiving approaches what is good for the goose is good for the gander. LOCK HIM UP. 

9 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Yes as Thanksgiving approaches what is good for the goose is good for the gander. LOCK HIM UP. 

It makes me very proud to see my fellow American, acting sensible, reasonable and without respect for a man who deserves not one iota of their respect. This is why Trump appears so rarely in public, unless it is a planned rally, with only vetted supporters. The majority of Americans despise the man. He has earned their hatred. 

On 10/29/2019 at 2:01 AM, Berkshire said:

I understand what everybody thinks.  The House will impeach, the Senate will not convict....yada yada yada.

But consider this scenario.  The Senate recognizes through overwhelming evidence that Trump is guilty of abuse of power and obstruction.  They've got some cover to actually do the right thing.  They come to realize that a President Pence may actually be more palatable than another year of Trump.  This may help them keep the Senate as the House is a lost cause.  Again, this is not GOP Senators coming to their senses and being courageous, but more about them saving their own asses.  When public opinion turns on Trump, so will they.  We shall see.    

This may be a dumb question but if Pence is president does he pick the VP? If so Ivanka could become VP or Eric and Pence could resign. From the little googling I did it seems indeed Pence picks. 

Ivanka and Eric are articulate and would be formidable candidates for the GOP. They would claim center stage immediately. They would automatically get any Trump vote from the base and people who feel the dems attempted to steal the office.

Bring it on either way. 

On 10/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, Berkshire said:

Pelosi is not concerned at all about any dirt the Rep might fabricate.  What she's concerned about is the optics of the GOP Senate not convicting, followed by Trump proclaiming he was exonerated and declaring the whole thing a witchhunt.  Those are real concerns.  But what may happen is a few Republicans jumping ship and giving the Dems a majority, but not the 2/3 required for conviction.  The Dems can then say that a bipartisan majority of lawmakers in both the House and Senate support the impeachment and removal of Trump.  

The same way they say Trump lost the popular vote. LOL.

It's irrelevant when it comes to the only opinion poll that matters- the election.

I agree that the optics of Trump not being convicted in the senate are a problem for Pelosi. 

But what may happen is a few Republicans jumping ship and giving the Dems a majority

They'll have a problem at election time. I'd assume only those not wishing to stand for re election this or next time would do so.

2020 to 2024.

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

This may be a dumb question but if Pence is president does he pick the VP? If so Ivanka could become VP or Eric and Pence could resign. 

Far as I know he can't. The next in line is the one prescribed by the constitution. A VP has to be elected to that position, IMO.

If he stands for election, then he can pick a VP.

8 years of Pence- not something any Dems would wish for, and if he becomes president by default MORE LIKELY to be elected than if standing as a VP.

The Dems should be careful what they wish for.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I know he can't. The next in line is the one prescribed by the constitution. A VP has to be elected to that position, IMO.

If he stands for election, then he can pick a VP.

8 years of Pence- not something any Dems would wish for, and if he becomes president by default MORE LIKELY to be elected than if standing as a VP.

The Dems should be careful what they wish for.

https://www.elitedaily.com/news/politics/if-donald-trump-gets-impeached-mike-pence-who-becomes-vice-president/2063793

Not sure what the Elite Daily is or who they are but seems Pence would pick. Otherwise next in line would be Pelosi, that would be a bit awkward. On my phone and traveling now so can't be bothered to look further into it.

7 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

This may be a dumb question but if Pence is president does he pick the VP? If so Ivanka could become VP or Eric and Pence could resign. From the little googling I did it seems indeed Pence picks. 

Ivanka and Eric are articulate and would be formidable candidates for the GOP. They would claim center stage immediately. They would automatically get any Trump vote from the base and people who feel the dems attempted to steal the office.

Bring it on either way. 

My opinion, but neither Ivanka, nor Eric would stand the proverbial snowball's chance of election. I certainly wouldn't vote for either. At least unless it was against Hillary.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My opinion, but neither Ivanka, nor Eric would stand the proverbial snowball's chance of election. I certainly wouldn't vote for either. At least unless it was against Hillary.

Pence would never carry the ticket on his own. He has all the charisma of a rural high school principle whose only agenda is bringing back paddling.

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

https://www.elitedaily.com/news/politics/if-donald-trump-gets-impeached-mike-pence-who-becomes-vice-president/2063793

Not sure what the Elite Daily is or who they are but seems Pence would pick. Otherwise next in line would be Pelosi, that would be a bit awkward. On my phone and traveling now so can't be bothered to look further into it.

Not quite. He can nominate but Congress has to ratify.

1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President. 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Still comes down to the senate having to have the numbers. If the GOP senators think they'll lose election by supporting conviction, likely they will vote against conviction.

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Pence would never carry the ticket on his own. He has all the charisma of a rural high school principle whose only agenda is bringing back paddling.

Sorry. Missed that you were saying for VP. Ivanka as VP would be a good choice IMO. What red blooded man would pass the chance to have her on the news all the time?

I personally don't like Eric based on what I've seen of him. so not him.

Archived