Jomtien Condo Owners Sue For Sea View

george

Condo owners sue for sea view

PATTAYA: -- A group of Jomtien apartment owners has asked the Administrative Court in Rayong to halt the construction of a new residential building that will block their sea views.

Ten foreign Jomtien Complex Condotel apartment owners are fighting to preserve their uninterrupted beach views following Pattaya City Council building permission for a new apartment building directly in front of them.

The complaint asserts Pattaya City wrongly granted construction permission to View Talay Jomtien Condominium.

It adds the permission did not meet 1978 planning regulations and alleges it will deprive them of their present unobstructed views of Jomtien Beach.

Jomtien Complex Condotel resident of two years Richard Haines, 62, retired, is one of the plaintiffs. The United States expatriate claims the development of View Talay 7 is in breach of planning law.

The building is on the beachfront and will obstruct views, he argued. "I purchased my condo in October 2005 when I decided to make Thailand my retirement home.

"But the new View Talay 7 building will block me from ever seeing another sunset from my condo," he said.

Haines alleged View Talay 7 was illegal because it was 14 metres in height and within 200 metres of the sea. Buildings of this height are prohibited within 200 metres of the shore by planning law, he said.

Pattaya Mayor Niran Wattana-sartsathorn said the city correctly issued building permission.

"I'm not worried that some foreigners are suing the city in the Administrative Court because we are just an agent to mediate this problem.

"If the foreigners succeed it will be a precedent for others and maybe developers will think before getting into problems like this," Niran added.

The court will hold a preliminary hearing tomorrow.

--The nation 2007-03-27

Oh dear tryimg to impose Western planning standards in Thailand again. Well certainly planning controls need to be improved but it will not happen overnight and I suspect most certainly not in this case. It is still "buyer beware". A little naive to buy a condo 200 mtrs from the sea and expect no building to block their view in the future.

Anyway how did they measure 200 mtrs from the sea ?, low tide or high tide ? or just an elastic tape ?

Pattaya Mayor Niran Wattana-sartsathorn said the city correctly issued building permission.

the correct amout of tea money was paid

"I'm not worried that some foreigners are suing the city in the Administrative Court because we are just an agent to mediate this problem.

farrangs should keep their big noses out of our business

"If the foreigners succeed it will be a precedent for others and maybe developers will think before getting into problems like this," Niran added.

I can't afford to pay back any tea money

To add some depth to the story...

Well , at least Jomtien gossip from people who might possably know ( Thai )

The Jomtien plaza condos were constructed in such a way as to block some of the sea view from viewtalay 2 condos which were already built and occupied, so the VT developing company seized the chance to buy the land in front of them .

They are now building a large condo on that land in a Thai version of "revenge is sweet".

The mote point might be , it would seem , that the original tide line was much nearer to the view talay two condos until recent times when the beach was developed as a tourist beach.

The high tide line being defined as the highest point reached at any time in the year by any tide , be it highl , neap or spring tide.

The jomtien plaza protesters might just be shooting themselves in the foot by proving openly that the construction of there two tower blocks was itself illegal in the first place. There condos being built on land itself within the old 200M rule from VT2.

The VT construction company might , on the other hand, decide to keep quiet at first as by the same rule VT7 is itself illegal in construction as it also would be in the 'no building ' zone!

If what I am told is true the resident owners in VT2 could choose to wave the right to a completely uninterrupted sea view with regard to either or both developments.

The VT development company has a very good name in Pattaya and is very influential it would seem , hence the ease of planning permission.

It has been rumored though , that they posses an old map from a reliable publisher, that shows the old high tide mark!

Personally , I don't care either way but most of the people in the Plaza block have my sympathies should they talk City hall into putting a compulsory demolition order on the blocks for making the Mayor 'loose face' !

Edited by swanks

the correct amout of tea money was paid

farrangs should keep their big noses out of our business

I can't afford to pay back any tea money

Kurgen. You are not wrong there. :D

I have been told from an extremely reliable source that ฿10,000,000 was donated to City Hall. :o

"

A classic Thai euphemism......

PATTAYA: -- A group of Jomtien apartment owners has asked the Administrative Court in Rayong to halt the construction of a new residential building that will block their sea views.

Ten foreign Jomtien Complex Condotel apartment owners are fighting to preserve their uninterrupted beach views following Pattaya City Council building permission for a new apartment building directly in front of them.

The complaint asserts Pattaya City wrongly granted construction permission to View Talay Jomtien Condominium.

It adds the permission did not meet 1978 planning regulations and alleges it will deprive them of their present unobstructed views of Jomtien Beach.

Jomtien Complex Condotel resident of two years Richard Haines, 62, retired, is one of the plaintiffs. The United States expatriate claims the development of View Talay 7 is in breach of planning law.

The building is on the beachfront and will obstruct views, he argued. "I purchased my condo in October 2005 when I decided to make Thailand my retirement home.

"But the new View Talay 7 building will block me from ever seeing another sunset from my condo," he said.

Haines alleged View Talay 7 was illegal because it was 14 metres in height and within 200 metres of the sea. Buildings of this height are prohibited within 200 metres of the shore by planning law, he said.

--The nation 2007-03-27

I know Jomtien Complex Condotel very well as I lived there for three years after the twin condo towers were built. The original development included a number of single story homes planned to be built directly in front of the towers. A gated and landscaped access to the beach was provided, both for people living in the towers and future residents of the bungalows. A scale model of the overall development was situated in the Sales Office and was certainly an inducement to buying there.

So, what has gone wrong? Wouldn't it be more fruitful if the owners of units in Jomtien Complex Condotel took legal action against the developers? They were promised an unobstructed sea view from the beginning. Nothing will change regarding the new construction by View Talay, the 'tea-money" has been spent already.

I visit friends in Jomtien Complex Condotel nearly every week and I've watched the construction from their balcony. The "footprint" of the new building is in the form of an inverted "Y" when looking towards the sea. The concrete piling is complete and the laying of the base concrete raft is nearly finished. The disturbing thing is that several pools of water appear occasionally and, during the piling work, some of these 'pools' were several metres in diameter. At the eastern end of the construction site, there was a narrow pool that stretched right across the site.

I noticed that these pools only appeared and grew as the tide came in!!! Sea water?.

Why am I not surprised that the person fronting for the complainants hold US citizenship. :o

I have to agree that the complaint should also be laid against the developer of VT, and their own apartment block as they would have had knowledge of the development application at the time of the sale. They should also have a go at the officers that provided planning approval during construction, the companies supplying the cement, wire, telecommunications, and the som tam lady who fed the workers.

Now where are my shares in the Pattaya legal firms.

The Jomtien plaza condos were constructed in such a way as to block some of the sea view from viewtalay 2 condos which were already built and occupied, so the VT developing company seized the chance to buy the land in front of them .

They are now building a large condo on that land in a Thai version of "revenge is sweet".

The mote point might be , it would seem , that the original tide line was much nearer to the view talay two condos until recent times when the beach was developed as a tourist beach.

The high tide line being defined as the highest point reached at any time in the year by any tide , be it highl , neap or spring tide.

The jomtien plaza protesters might just be shooting themselves in the foot by proving openly that the construction of there two tower blocks was itself illegal in the first place. There condos being built on land itself within the old 200M rule from VT2.

The VT construction company might , on the other hand, decide to keep quiet at first as by the same rule VT7 is itself illegal in construction as it also would be in the 'no building ' zone!

If what I am told is true the resident owners in VT2 could choose to wave the right to a completely uninterrupted sea view with regard to either or both developments.

The VT development company has a very good name in Pattaya and is very influential it would seem , hence the ease of planning permission.

It has been rumored though , that they posses an old map from a reliable publisher, that shows the old high tide mark!

Personally , I don't care either way but most of the people in the Plaza block have my sympathies should they talk City hall into putting a compulsory demolition order on the blocks for making the Mayor 'loose face' !

I'm confused by this post. Whether referring to Jomtien plaza condos or JomTien Complex condos (the owners which have the lawsuit), VT2 (View Talay 2) was built many years the completion of these projects. I believe VT2-A was completed around 2004 and is not ocean-front property.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. It's pretty obvious at this point that the piper has been paid. Some people seem to forget where they are. They don't cancel huge projects here because of small spotted owls.

I'm confused by this post. Whether referring to Jomtien plaza condos or JomTien Complex condos (the owners which have the lawsuit), VT2 (View Talay 2) was built many years the completion of these projects. I believe VT2-A was completed around 2004 and is not ocean-front property.

Thai bob

Don't worry about the confusion , I have that effect on a lot of people! :D

Vt2 was completed in 1999 according to the sign on the wall but maybe someone can tell us differently?

Were the JC condos built before that ? That's not what seems to be being said but I have no reason to check further as non of this affects me so perhaps you could help us out on that one! I only posted on the matter as someone posted about it first and I thought I would chip in! :o

Now , as I said , this is only Thai gossip but , It seems there is a reason that the VT group bought the land in front of the other condos and deliberately changed the usual 'block' design of there projects as well as making it higher than the complex blocks.

As to what stage the VT2 construction was at , I have no knowledge but I am told there was a certain 'bad blood' about the affair .

It's most of the residents I feel sorry for.

You really would assume you were buying a sea view and I personally think the new VT is far too close . It will surly take all the early evening light as well as the view .

Having looked at Pattaya prices I don't personally think it will greatly devalue most of the units as the block will always attract ex-pat residents however the top floor , with it's premium price will obviously lose a lot of value!

I think it must show us all , however, that western business ethics just don't apply here so we really do need to take extra care !

Firstly the Condo block in question is The Jomtien Complex ( the twin towers ). Jomtien Plaza is the

semi circular condo also near the beach.

Both these buildings were completed long before the first brick for View Talay 2 was laid.

So the "Jomtien gossip from people who might possably (sic) know ( Thai )" is incorrect.

Naka.

Oh dear tryimg to impose Western planning standards in Thailand again. Well certainly planning controls need to be improved but it will not happen overnight and I suspect most certainly not in this case. It is still "buyer beware". A little naive to buy a condo 200 mtrs from the sea and expect no building to block their view in the future.

Anyway how did they measure 200 mtrs from the sea ?, low tide or high tide ? or just an elastic tape ?

I have heard that its measured from the average of the tides during the year. Have also heard that there are post tsunami building regulations that say no building from average tide to ??, and then can build 4 storey and then higher the further one gets from the average tide level.

[quote name='naka' date='2007-03-The VT construction

Firstly the Condo block in question is The Jomtien Complex ( the twin towers ). Jomtien Plaza is the

Both these buildings were completed long before the first brick for View Talay 2 was laid.

So the "Jomtien gossip from people who might possably (sic) know ( Thai )" is incorrect.

Naka.

................................................................................

Gossip often is chap!

That's what makes it fun :D

So they were built first you say?

So why do you think the VT group have built two condos to the north of the 'twin towers' to take the view to the side and are building a bloody great tower in front of them?

There seems to be plenty of available land near , but not blighting the towers!

It could be a coincidence but it seems unlikely.

My source of information is a Thai banker , by the way ( Yes --I said the right word)

So the question is , where do you think the original tide line was ? Can you help us on that one too?

You seem a little up tight about this , by the way .

Do you live there ?

O yes...

No point in prodding at my spelling , chap. :D

I can do much better ones than misspelling 'possibly' ! :o

Edited by swanks

[quote name='naka' date='2007-03-The VT construction

Naka.

................................................................................

Gossip often is chap!

That's what makes it fun :D

So they were built first you say?

So why do you think the VT group have built two condos to the north of the 'twin towers' to take the view to the side and are building a bloody great tower in front of them?

There seems to be plenty of available land near , but not blighting the towers!

It could be a coincidence but it seems unlikely.

My source of information is a Thai banker , by the way ( Yes --I said the right word)

So the question is , where do you think the original tide line was ? Can you help us on that one too?

You seem a little up tight about this , by the way .

Do you live there ?

O yes...

No point in prodding at my spelling , chap. :o

I can do much better ones than misspelling 'possibly

Naga's history is spot on. Don't believe the rumors you hear. Also the tide line is the same since before any of these highrises were built. The comment on the tea money sounds correct. It will be interesting to see what comes of the lawsuit. You have to give the people that took the time and effort to file the lawsuit some credit. I don't know that I would try to "buck" the system though. From what I have read the "law" on the set backs was passed in 1978. That was before any of the high rises in Pattaya or Jomtien were built. I think some of the building in the Naklua area were there before that time. I wish them luck and you never know what can happen if you never try. John

I know Jomtien Complex Condotel very well as I lived there for three years after the twin condo towers were built. The original development included a number of single story homes planned to be built directly in front of the towers. A gated and landscaped access to the beach was provided, both for people living in the towers and future residents of the bungalows. A scale model of the overall development was situated in the Sales Office and was certainly an inducement to buying there.

So, what has gone wrong? Wouldn't it be more fruitful if the owners of units in Jomtien Complex Condotel took legal action against the developers? They were promised an unobstructed sea view from the beginning. Nothing will change regarding the new construction by View Talay, the 'tea-money" has been spent already.

I visit friends in Jomtien Complex Condotel nearly every week and I've watched the construction from their balcony. The "footprint" of the new building is in the form of an inverted "Y" when looking towards the sea. The concrete piling is complete and the laying of the base concrete raft is nearly finished. The disturbing thing is that several pools of water appear occasionally and, during the piling work, some of these 'pools' were several metres in diameter. At the eastern end of the construction site, there was a narrow pool that stretched right across the site.

I noticed that these pools only appeared and grew as the tide came in!!! Sea water?.

Buyers into other condos on this stretch of beach were told in mid 80s that the condos owned right down to and onto the beach! This turned out to be competely wrong info. As they say "Buyer Beware". A few months ago I heard that a developer had bought a plot on the beach side (but not right on the beach) of Jomthien Condotel and was to build an 8 storey condo. Recently I have heard that this has been reduced to 12 meters because he is not allowed to build 8 storeys. VT (I can never keep up with the numbering of these cereal boxes) got permission to build closer to Dongtan beach because the building rules can be reviewed every 5 years and it was decided that they could build closer to the beach and within spitting distance of Grand Condotel. Grand Condo lost its view to the south and, I hear, residents, especially at south end of building, do everything they can to block out their now ghastly view of kitchens on VT balconies with near naked farangs frying eggs, and washing draped over the balconies. As they also say, "TIT"

Have a good one!

Why am I not surprised that the person fronting for the complainants hold US citizenship. :o

I have to agree that the complaint should also be laid against the developer of VT, and their own apartment block as they would have had knowledge of the development application at the time of the sale. They should also have a go at the officers that provided planning approval during construction, the companies supplying the cement, wire, telecommunications, and the som tam lady who fed the workers.

Now where are my shares in the Pattaya legal firms.

He's just one of, genius. :D

I hate to quote Trink, but this is an excellent time to remind yourself of "TIT".

If you want a view, you better buy the view.

And, can we all form a circle and do a joint communal " SMIRK " at politicians pretending that Thai beach resorts can appeal to really affluent people who'd frequent the Cote d'Azur the famous old world resort towns...

Hint: those places have a legal & planning tradition that makes those actual top class locations.

For investing in Pattaya..... Stick to that room+bathroom on Soi Bua Khao, it's about the level you can reasonably expect to have your expectations met.

Edited by chanchao

I hate to quote Trink, but this is an excellent time to remind yourself of "TIT".

And, can we all form a circle and do a joint communal " SMIRK " at politicians pretending that Thai beach resorts can appeal to really affluent people who'd frequent the Cote d'Azur the famous old world resort towns...

Hint: those places have a legal & planning tradition that makes those actual top class locations.

For investing in Pattaya..... Stick to that room+bathroom on Soi Bua Khao, it's about the level you can reasonably expect to have your expectations met.

Well said Chanchao, how true.

Why do these people build a million dollar home in Pattaya ?

How can they ever hope to find another person as stupid as themselves to buy it from them ?

Naka.

Edited by naka

SMIRK... The "Smiling-Makes-It-Real Kingdom"? An apt acronym for the place where bureaucrats and nabobs make grand and self-congratulatory pronouncements that don't have a snowball's chance of becoming reality.

--The nation 2007-03-27

And your point is?

--The nation 2007-03-27

And your point is?

Hi Peter,

The point is there is still hope in protecting one's right against view obstruction. Don't be surprised if Richard Haines win the case because the Administrative Court is sharp on any holes on the planning permit given by the local authority. Good luck, Mr. Haines!

(I despise such long quotes and subquotes such as what follows, but as you will see I found it necessary to clarify a point.)

--The nation 2007-03-27

And your point is?

Hi Peter,

The point is there is still hope in protecting one's right against view obstruction. Don't be surprised if Richard Haines win the case because the Administrative Court is sharp on any holes on the planning permit given by the local authority. Good luck, Mr. Haines!

Irene, I think PETERTHEEATER's point was that tropiccapricorn apparently simply quoted a previous post, en toto, with no input or commentary of his/her own. I see that a LOT on the forums: people simply quoting an entire previous quote with nothing added/corrected/changed. What's up with that?

It's not only a waste of bandwidth (especially for folks using dial-up modems) it takes time and effort to keep flipping back and forth with the original post to see if the new post has imbedded comments, another tactic that I find annoying. Often folks will imbed comments in a different color than the quoted text, and that's fine, but to have to pick through (usually long) original threads to find the additions is tedious, at best. So, most times, I just skip such a post.

and as they step closer and closer what will the effects of global warming be on the tide line?

to nullify all pre existing deals? to make all beach front property uninhabitable? who will sue who then?

just wondering who is minding the store... or is that looking too far ahead?

and as they step closer and closer what will the effects of global warming be on the tide line?

to nullify all pre existing deals? to make all beach front property uninhabitable? who will sue who then?

just wondering who is minding the store... or is that looking too far ahead?

Yup, Jomthien Complex might be beach front in the not too distant future. I hope I live to see the day - I do not like VT cereal boxes.

Nobody can sue anybody - it is an act of God. (And the world's leaders)

got news for you guys in usa ... you can sue on environmental grounds, or maybe some municipal mumbo-jumbo

yod get laughed out of us court w/ a suit because the bldg is blocking your view.

this is PRECISELY why you should never buy anything w/ a view in pattaya