"Pickled cabbage" man arrested at Bangkok Airport

webfact

"Pickled cabbage" man arrested at Bangkok Airport

4pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

A South Korean wanted for running an online betting business has been arrested at Suvarnabhumi airport. 

Immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang was pictured announcing the arrest by a vinyl board that said the suspect - a Mr Song - came from the land of "kimchi" - spicy pickled cabbage, the national dish of Korea. 

Such language is usually reserved for the salacious headlines of the Thai press rather than police billboards, notes Thaivisa.

Thirty eight year old Song was named in a warrant issued by the Seoul Central District Court in May 2017 and an Interpol red notice.

Naew Na reported that he had first come into Thailand in November 2016 and since then had been frequently in and out of the kingdom.

His latest entry was on a flight from Laos to Suvarnabhumi in July of this year when he was given permission to stay until 24th October. He left no residential address.

After contact from the South Korean embassy immigration were waiting for his departure and he was arrested at the airport trying to fly out to Malaysia. 

In contrast to recent reports from Naew Na, no mention was made of immigration's much heralded two billion baht "biometrics" system in this report. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-29

44 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Who else finds this highly derogative towards Korean people? What would Thais say, if they were called 'Somtam people' by foreign press or immigration?

1st, I am not sure Thais would find this offensive.

2nd calling us falang is, in my opinion, no less derogatory than cabbage man. The word falang to many may not seem derogatory to many here, but it is not the word that matters but rather the way they irk when they say it. I am amazed how often I sit down somewhere and no one wants to sit next to me because I am falang. Or even worse, they get up and move somewhere else. Before anyone says it... I shower everyday twice a day and I use roll on, contrary to many Thais.

Thais are just uneducated about ethics. Kids walk up to us and say "fat" to us and the parents find it cute. 

So what do you expect when the police call a Korean "cabbage man"?

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Who else finds this highly derogative towards Korean people? What would Thais say, if they were called 'Somtam people' by foreign press or immigration?

He is in the same league as the krauts (cabbage) :cheesy:

15 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

2nd calling us falang is, in my opinion, no less derogatory than cabbage man. The word falang to many may not seem derogatory to many here, but it is not the word that matters but rather the way they irk when they say it. I am amazed how often I sit down somewhere and no one wants to sit next to me because I am falang. Or even worse, they get up and move somewhere else. Before anyone says it... I shower everyday twice a day and I use roll on, contrary to many Thais.

Thais are just uneducated about ethics. Kids walk up to us and say "fat" to us and the parents find it cute. 

Everything you have said is exactly as I experienced when first moved to a large Isaan city and travelled in a songtaew. Farangs in holiday resorts don't experience this. So many times I heard, mainly older, female Thais say "falang men" (farang stink) when I entered. They assumed wrongly that I would not understand. 

I never spoke but my very nice Thai neighbours put an end to that demanding that I "speak up" which I did in my very best cutting colloquial Thai. Result total shock and silence.. Thereafter I made many other nice aquaintances and had many nice chats. 

Not everyone is so bad but the younger femailes don't like to sit next to a Farang in case people think that they are "kept" girlfriends. Not excusing the others though. 

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

Everything you have said is exactly as I experienced when first moved to a large Isaan city and travelled in a songtaew. Farangs in holiday resorts don't experience this. So many times I heard, mainly older, female Thais say "falang men" (farang stink) when I entered. They assumed wrongly that I would not understand. 

I never spoke but my very nice Thai neighbours put an end to that demanding that I "speak up" which I did in my very best cutting colloquial Thai. Result total shock and silence.. Thereafter I made many other nice aquaintances and had many nice chats. 

Not everyone is so bad but the younger femailes don't like to sit next to a Farang in case people think that they are "kept" girlfriends. Not excusing the others though. 

I honestly don't care what these people think of me. Seriously why would you value their opinion anyway, just concider the source ????

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

been eating a spoon of kimchi a day to maintain gut health, the way this <deleted> tastes I would say it's a definite insult lol ...

The Thais have a long list of  "nick names" for various countries.

For example   "Poo De ungrit"   for the English

"Meung Nam Hom"  for France

"Meung Tulip"  for Holland

"Meung Beer"  or "Meung Sia grock" for Germany

Meung Chocolate for Switzerland

"Meung Pizza"  for Italy

etc etc

and of course

"Chocolate man"  for a  person of Colour :w00t:    and "Fatty" for someone overweight !

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Maybe put a smile on your face, I’m never treated like that

6 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

An American friend, married to a Thai, told me that he had enrolled his son in an upcountry school, and a week later his son had returned from school and told him that "He was not a real human being" ! Explains a lot. Sad to think that this sort of thing is going on, especially in a 3rd world country ????

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I really couldn’t give a rats <deleted> what my Korean wife thinks of this comment????????‍♂️????????????????????????
Apart from that, have a wonderful week ahead????????????

8 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I went to buy some deodorant last week, they asked me if i wanted the roll on ball type, i said no it's for underneath my arms.

14 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

I went to buy some deodorant last week, they asked me if i wanted the roll on ball type, i said no it's for underneath my arms.

They do actually sell  deodorant which says it's specifically for the  male "neither regions"   :w00t:

On 10/29/2019 at 5:26 PM, phantomfiddler said:

An American friend, married to a Thai, told me that he had enrolled his son in an upcountry school, and a week later his son had returned from school and told him that "He was not a real human being" ! Explains a lot. Sad to think that this sort of thing is going on, especially in a 3rd world country ????

Very common, unfortunately. Happened to me years ago on an overland bus in Thailand's South. Female conductor collects fare from me, then has a fit, complaining about "falang". Bus driver tries to calm her down, saying something along the lines of "Aren't they people too?", which really gets her going, yelling: "'Falang' khon mai dai..." - So far for "Land of Smiles". Yeah, right!

On 10/29/2019 at 3:25 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

To my shame, I have to admit to calling the odd Thai acting like an idiot a "bloody noodle".

When I do say it my wife asks me "What is doodoo?"

On 10/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, johng said:

The Thais have a long list of  "nick names" for various countries.

For example   "Poo De ungrit"   for the English

"Meung Nam Hom"  for France

"Meung Tulip"  for Holland

"Meung Beer"  or "Meung Sia grock" for Germany

Meung Chocolate for Switzerland

"Meung Pizza"  for Italy

etc etc

and of course

"Chocolate man"  for a  person of Colour :w00t:    and "Fatty" for someone overweight !

Never heard any of that before, except "chocolate man" for black people. Calling the English "Poo" is quite bad and degoratory though...

Archived