Teacher walks away uninjured after collision with back of rowing boat

webfact

Teacher walks away uninjured after collision with back of rowing boat

8pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Car in collision with back of boat

Sanook reported on an accident on the Sisaket to Ubon Ratchathani Road in Thailand's north east when a car driven by a teacher collided with a long rowing boat being transported on a pick-up. 

The back of the 40-50 seater boat went through and smashed the windscreen of Kittinan's Toyota Altis and damaged the roof of the vehicle. 

But he was completely uninjured. 

Sanook caught up with the fine arts teacher at Sisaket Withayalai School where he recounted his lucky escape. 

8pm2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

He said that he was going shopping. He was taking care and saw the vehicle in front but did not see the back of the boat.

He said that insurance assessors arrived and everything was settled amicably after the accident on Friday evening. 

The racing boat was being transported from Buriram to a competition in Ubon. 

Kittinan said that the "bun baramee" (good deeds) that he had built up saved him.

This was in the form of a Buddhist figure in his car and the fact that he had changed the cloth at a shrine at his school earlier. 

Sanook called it a very improbable accident. 

However, experienced drivers in Thailand will point out the many times they have seen flimsy pieces of red cloth - in place to satisfy the law - hanging off the back of loads on vehicles in the kingdom, notes Thaivisa. 

Only occasionally are these pieces of cloth accompanied by lights. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-29

That is dangerous and the top pic of the craft with a red rag attached does highlight how little of it you could see if viewed from a following vehicle particularly at night .. The very least it should have is a wide reflective marker board hanging off the back of the craft and some lights would be nice .. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Kittinan said that the "bun baramee" (good deeds) that he had built up saved him.

This was in the form of a Buddhist figure in his car and the fact that he had changed the cloth at a shrine at his school earlier. 

Should this man really be driving?

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

I imagine that it would be difficult to see the bit of red cloth at night. Overloads travelling at night need lights.

According to the Land Traffic Act, at night you are required to have a red light attached, not just a flag. But when has anyone here paid attention to traffic laws?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

truly pathetic, just remember this when youre  driving and youre dead and somchai isnt

17 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

That is dangerous and the top pic of the craft with a red rag attached does highlight how little of it you could see if viewed from a following vehicle particularly at night .. The very least it should have is a wide reflective marker board hanging off the back of the craft and some lights would be nice .. 

it should  have two outrigger  police  cars, but  many do stuff  like this at night to avoid  police. I regularly  drive at  night, see it  all

The picture  shows a  boat with a red flag attached. Is this the same boat that passed through  the windscreen of the  car and  was then extracted  untouched? I think not !

In fact I think that the  boat in the picture would  pass over the roof  of an Altis rather than through  it.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Kittinan said that the "bun baramee" (good deeds) that he had built up saved him

A pity he hadn't done enough good deeds and built up his bun baramee

To avoid hitting the boat altogether.

In fact , looks like he didn't have any bun baramee at all.

Common sense to me would have been to have a pickup or two, with ample caution lights, following the precarious and extended load.

Then, just maybe, the boat would have made it to its destination unharmed and the teacher could have enjoyed his day.

But I know, this is Thailand.

3 minutes ago, neeray said:

Common sense to me would have been to have a pickup or two, with ample caution lights, following the precarious and extended load.

Then, just maybe, the boat would have made it to its destination unharmed and the teacher could have enjoyed his day.

But I know, this is Thailand.

You've been dreaming again. Too much cheese late at night.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Not. It looks like it maybe but it isn't . In my opinion.:whistling: The perspectives don't match

Well, i looked at it a few times, the picture is quite distorted, yet it looks like a road sign to me.

My point, anyway, is that, at night, with all those lights above and at the sides of the road, it's quite excusable for the car driver to fail to notice the red cloth hanging from the boat.

Perhaps, if the cloth was white, there could be more chances to see it.

Archived