BANGKOK

I thought I read that a owner of a condo for rent can only ask (by law) for a one month rent deposit.

Is this correct?

My cat thanks you for any information.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 1

Depends on the gullibility of the tenant.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MrJ said:

1 month deposit if you have more than 5 units to rent out, if less you can ask for e.g. 2 months

But they may add a  furniture deposit  to make that up also.

I personally would not pay more than one month.However you must also see it from the landlords side, some condos rent for as little as 7k...a deposit of that amount would barely cover the cost of a TV so asking for a larger deposit in my opinion is fair...some tenants in Thailand wreck the properties.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MrJ said:

1 month deposit if you have more than 5 units to rent out, if less you can ask for e.g. 2 months

This is what I understand to be the correct answer - if the owner is renting five or more units, then the one month deposit rule is in effect.  

My condo juristic person told me (at the time that the law was implemented) that the law would be more likely to apply to apartment complexes than it would to individual condo units, presumably because there are fewer condo owners renting out five or more units.  

20 hours ago, MrJ said:

Extra for the cat!

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I would take 2 months especially because of your cat. They do more damage than any of their owners ever care to admit. You also might be surprised how many buildings don’t allow pets and sneaking one in is a big no no. 

I suppose you could request a two month deposit, for whatever reason, it's of course up to the prospective tenant to agree to your wish, as it is to you to decide whether to rent the property to a tenant who thinks that a one month deposit is more reasonable, I do agree with your concerns about the cat.

Of course it's your property and you can seek what you wish, but a reasonable tenant who intends to stay for the long term, is going to look after the property and will pay all their bills, may not wish to tie up too much cash and will be aware that there's a glut of property to choose from. 

Just read the fine print in the contract. My deposit (2 months) is held by my real estate agent,so,  the owner can't take the money and spend them. 

• Like 1

Always been 2 months for me. Seems to be either 1 or 2 so I would opt for 6 weeks!

Regards to your pussy!

• Haha 1

Be mentally prepared to not get the deposit back.

• Haha 1