Deposit on condo amount?

I personally would not pay more than one month.However you must also see it from the landlords side, some condos rent for as little as 7k...a deposit of that amount would barely cover the cost of a TV so asking for a larger deposit in my opinion is fair...some tenants in Thailand wreck the properties.

17 hours ago, MrJ said:

1 month deposit if you have more than 5 units to rent out, if less you can ask for e.g. 2 months

This is what I understand to be the correct answer - if the owner is renting five or more units, then the one month deposit rule is in effect.  

My condo juristic person told me (at the time that the law was implemented) that the law would be more likely to apply to apartment complexes than it would to individual condo units, presumably because there are fewer condo owners renting out five or more units.  

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I would take 2 months especially because of your cat. They do more damage than any of their owners ever care to admit. You also might be surprised how many buildings don’t allow pets and sneaking one in is a big no no. 

I suppose you could request a two month deposit, for whatever reason, it's of course up to the prospective tenant to agree to your wish, as it is to you to decide whether to rent the property to a tenant who thinks that a one month deposit is more reasonable, I do agree with your concerns about the cat.

Of course it's your property and you can seek what you wish, but a reasonable tenant who intends to stay for the long term, is going to look after the property and will pay all their bills, may not wish to tie up too much cash and will be aware that there's a glut of property to choose from. 

53 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i would only pay 1 month maximum. If they want 2 and you really want to stay in a place offer to pay 6 months up front instead. If they don't like it go elsewhere

So in four months you'll discover you actually paid 2 months deposit and 4 months rent.

Be warned with paying a deposit, even if you use tripadvisor's payment protect, I was scammed just recently, where I booked a condo, early 2019 for use in September/October (37days) this year, in Udonthani with (name and email removed by Moderator) , this guy insisted for an immediate deposit of Eur. 239.04 to secure the booking. In early June I had to cancel the booking due to family problems and this fraudster refused to return the deposit, even I gave him 3 month !!! notice. TripAdvisor could not help and this scammer took my money for what?? Gives Thailand a very bad name for holiday rentals, unfortunately with fraudulent individuals like this (name removed), one has to think twice before booking again in Udonthani, Just on a side note, I had also booked 31 days in Chiang Mai (prior to Udonthani) and had to cancel this as well, with this gentlemen in Chiang Mai the money was returned, no questions asked. 

2 hours ago, Fritz4 said:

Be warned with paying a deposit, even if you use tripadvisor's payment protect, I was scammed just recently, where I booked a condo, early 2019 for use in September/October (37days) this year, in Udonthani with (name and email removed by Moderator) , this guy insisted for an immediate deposit of Eur. 239.04 to secure the booking. In early June I had to cancel the booking due to family problems and this fraudster refused to return the deposit, even I gave him 3 month !!! notice. TripAdvisor could not help and this scammer took my money for what?? Gives Thailand a very bad name for holiday rentals, unfortunately with fraudulent individuals like this (name removed), one has to think twice before booking again in Udonthani, Just on a side note, I had also booked 31 days in Chiang Mai (prior to Udonthani) and had to cancel this as well, with this gentlemen in Chiang Mai the money was returned, no questions asked. 

If you're renting a condo you have to pay deposit. Otherwise, no condo. We are not talking about booking a room online. Why would TripAdvisor help you?

On 10/30/2019 at 2:38 PM, NCC1701A said:

OK thanks everybody.

It would appear the answer is one month, two months, you are not going to get your deposit back, what law and cats suck

isn't that what you pay them for? ???? 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:47 AM, Fritz4 said:

er...how did you know 3 months in advance that there were going to be family problems? also, why didn't those psychic powers kick in 4-8 weeks earlier when you made the reservation? Also, 239.04 euro isn't really very much for someone booking 2 condos in 2 locations for a 2-3 month vacation. A deposit in euro should have tipped you off and TripAdvisor has a disclaimer that you should have read. 

Life isn't always a scam because you didn't get catered to. Lastly, blaming Thailand because of a website and 1 person who probably listed his condo with  a nonrefundable deposit is kind of lame.

• 2 weeks later...

TripAdvisor advertised this condo with "Payment Protect" which was not adhered to, The host "Charles Law" changed the fine print and insisted on deposit to secure the booking, which was done in Jan/Feb 2019 - the need to cancel was established in May/June 2019 and cancel was issued in early June - 3 month notice - Still the amount was 8,000 THB which should have been returned as there was enough time given, this fraudster in UdonThani should be named and shamed in the same way the rogue taxi driver is named and shamed, TAT and Udon-today would be well advised to name this fraudster as I have learned from several other sources that this guy is known for stealing money of people by not returning deposit paid and has a very bad name in business circles as an arrogant and selfish farang married to a Thai and doing shady business deals. 

Nevertheless I shall persevere with the Authorities to have this fraudster stopped and will confront this scumbag on my next visit to Udonthani !!

By the way the note above - "removed name and email - defamation law" - is unfair and only helps the dishonest bunch of people in Thailand that feed on unsuspecting tourists.

There should be a national register that names and shames the rogue operators in order to bring back some confidence  in the failing tourist trade, after all the tourist trade keep Thailand economical viable and fraudster like this guy in Udonthani are unfortunately all to common by trying to make a quick buck with doing nothing in return, this is downright "fraud" and must not be tolerated. I for one won't go near this place and shall however make this fraudster well known in my circle of people here in Australia as well as in Thailand !!!

Just try and go ahead and hide behind the defamation law, as there is NO defamation to be, but just a simple stating the facts and telling the truth and one should have the right and freedom to name the culprits so that other are warned and don't fall in the same trap, (as one saying, that he heard about that guy in Udonthani and thanked me for confirming that he was a fraudster) !!

Archived