New Work Permit Law?

My company have told me, after calling the DoL that there is a new law that says that I can not cancel my WP by myself.

I don't trust them, but can't see any benefit for them having to cancel it.

Has anyone heard of this law? I can't  find anything online about it.

1 minute ago, Somtamnication said:

Yes, happened to me last year. The office staff must go to cancel it themselves. So, what I did, I flew out without a re entry permit. No valid B visa, wp not good.  Play their game, nothing to lose.

Good idea, but I  cant do it that way as just applied for an extension based on marriage.

I think this is correct.  Everyone I have known who stopped working needed a form, in landscape format I recall, that comes from the employer- which effectively says who you are, passport, nationality and date of termination.

i don’t recall of anyone I know who has managed to legally “cancel” their own permit legally - but to be fair most everyone I know comes from the world of academia and perhaps the rules for other types of employee(er) situations (like BOI) may be different.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Yes, happened to me last year. The office staff must go to cancel it themselves. So, what I did, I flew out without a re entry permit. No valid B visa, wp not good.  Play their game, nothing to lose.

Yes, but your old WP never gets 'cancelled'. If you apply for work again you'll have to cancel the old one before a new one is issued. You can then cancel by yourself. It just happened to someone applying where I work; he had to go back to the province where he was working seven years ago and cancel the old WP.

Your employer must cancel the WP and get a receipt. You will need to take the receipt to Immigration to cancel an extension of stay. You will then have 24 hours to exit the country, or you can pay 1900bt for a 7 day extension.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Your employer must cancel the WP and get a receipt. You will need to take the receipt to Immigration to cancel an extension of stay. You will then have 24 hours to exit the country, or you can pay 1900bt for a 7 day extension.

As far as I know the employer is not the only one that can cancel a work permit.

The OP does not have an extension based of stay upon working to cancel. He is on a extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, new2here said:

I think this is correct.  Everyone I have known who stopped working needed a form, in landscape format I recall, that comes from the employer- which effectively says who you are, passport, nationality and date of termination.

i don’t recall of anyone I know who has managed to legally “cancel” their own permit legally - but to be fair most everyone I know comes from the world of academia and perhaps the rules for other types of employee(er) situations (like BOI) may be different.

I canceled mine two weeks ago walked in gave it to her they told be they wanted a copy of the Company Reg stamped and ID of the director signed they fill. In the standard form which has not changed since I have been here for over 7 years. I told her I needed the form now not later it was printed and signed  an in another 1 hour had my  new visa.  I took her the company Reg and directors ID a few days later. 

So unless you people knew what your talking about why don't you just read stuff and don't reply!!! 

I cancelled mine recently but I was director of the company so Im not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Incidentally the 'wok permit cancellation' form I downloaded from the internet and pre filled in to take with me to the labor department had been replaced with a new form that I needed my Thai wife to help me translate and complete since it was in Thai.

If you go yourself make sure you or someone with you can read Thai well  since they will probably hand you one of the new forms to complete and not offer to help you fill it in.

The staff only offered to help when my wife got involved, they didn't want to help the lone foreigner when i went. Luckily my wife came with me that day.

good riddance to that useless document - it was a great feeling to get rid of it and close the business.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:
1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

As far as I know the employer is not the only one that can cancel a work permit.

The OP does not have an extension based of stay upon working to cancel. He is on a extension of stay based upon marriage.

That is how I had to cancel my WP based on a Non B extension of stay. I guess every office has its own interpretation of the rules.

28 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

Yes! When you are on an oil and gas work permit and its cancelled your given 14 days to leave same as Australia

Not if you're married to a Thai and on an extension based on being married or on a visa issued outside Thailand eg a multi entry 0. ????

One size doesn't fit all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest you complete the work permit cancelation form then sign it and take it to the local work permit offices and try submitting it.

I don't think there have been any changes made to the regulation for work permit cancelation.

Another way is to use a very simple 'Document Transmittal' form. Two copies of the form on company headed paper stating work permit no' xxxccc, dated xxxxcc returned to Company for cancellation by Company.

Received by

Name

Signature

Date.

Each fills in name, (printed) date and signs.

They get one, you sign

You keep one they sign.

Edited by overherebc